Video Review of the Takara MP-09; Masterpiece Rodimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Reviews' started by Optibotimus, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Optibotimus

Optibotimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    This video has taken me all week to do. It is a very long video, please do not watch it unless you have the time haha. It's late and i didn't add time stamps for ease of viewing...but i will when i finally wake up. I'm just happy to have this thing done haha. Hope you guys enjoy it...

YouTube - Video Review of the Takara MP-09; Masterpiece Rodimus Prime

2. GUIGUI

GUIGUI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks. We were all waiting for it.

3. GUIGUI

GUIGUI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The reason You can align the arm with the rest of the car in car mode is because you need to have the hand out, not the saw-balde/welding-thing carrier out.

4. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First of all, I'd like to say thank you for taking the time to make the video.

And with all due respect, I think you kinda hamfisted your way through it. There were times that you were transforming pieces and I just cringed.

I take a very cautious approach to Masterpieces and take my time, and some of the transformation parts, such as the roof spinning around, made me sick to my stomach.

Now, I do agree that the leg panels are a terrible, terrible design. I'm not sure what Takara was thinking when they designed it, but damn.

I don't have mine in hand yet, so I can't say for sure one way or the other, but I still have high hopes for this guy, and I'm not gonna tearass through his transformation.

Patience is the key. Patience.

5. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

Thanks for getting this up. I was very eager to see it. Unfortunately I won't have time to watch the whole thing until later tonight.

Incidentally, the photo on the back that you said just 'shows that he can bend down' is actually showing him with his welding torch accessory.

6. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    You're actually entirely correct and i meant to mention that in the video after the fact. But that really isn't the biggest reason with the alignment for the arms. The arms align properly if, and only IF you get the feet positioned in an EXACT position. If you do not have the feet bent and angled 100% properly, the arms won't position all the way in. If you do, you can get the arms all the way in and even have them tab into the sides like they're meant to, holding them in.

7. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Thank you, but let me assure you that i was very careful with this figure. I had already transformed him a couple times to familiarize with the steps. It was during that time that i in fact broke it. The fact remains as that while care should be taken, i never had to be this careful with any other MP figures. Perhaps that's just me. We shouldn't have to walk a fine line while transforming these things, not for the price we pay. But to let you know, the first night i got this, it was at about 7:30pm. I got home at around 10pm and it took me till about 3pm to transform him just from Hot Rod, into his car mode. lol I'd say taking 5 hours to transform him is patient enough lol

8. GUIGUI

GUIGUI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great, I was wishing to not have the hands as under-carriage.

Now, if the cheap plastic problem could be solved...
    I'll be waiting for the Hasbro release, to see if they have fixed the problems, but it's frustrating they won't sell the trailer, as it is an excellent piece.

9. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Oh yeah Op, I agree with many of your points. I have every MP released except for the comic Grimlock and I have never had so many problems or felt like things were going to break. For this price (and to remind everyone, it is 2x the price of MP-01 and yes I know he comes with the trailer, but still...), we should be getting a much higher quality figure. Bot mode looks awesome but I want a masterpiece Transformer that works well in both modes, not a cool looking doll. I am glad I got him for completion's sake, and the bot mode is nice, but I truly expected more.

Nice review as always Op. Well done and informative.

10. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I was really going to buy this guy, but at this point. I cannot see a reason to buy this guy. Super highly disappointed. What is Takara doing? Their using KO company plastic now?

11. MethKitty

MethKitty it's about the podcast!

News Credits:
    an excellent review as always, i broke the leg panel too only mine was on the other side

12. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the vid! As for the leg parts popping off, wrap some tape around the screw (It is a screw right? I don't have mine yet). That should solve some of the problems.

BTW, it was a very informative review and one of your better ones:thumbs2: .

13. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

What a shame. I never really liked it anyway. Hey, at least OP did this review sober! That other dude was busy sippin gin n juise.

14. millerman3732

millerman3732 I remain unconvinced.

News Credits:
    While I had no intention of picking the Takara version of MP-09 I am interested in the Hasbro release, hopefully by the time it gets state side they'll have the kinks worked out.

15. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    It's not exactly a screw. It's a metal post with grooves that the plastic piece attaches to. The plastic has opposite grooves to hold it into place. To me it's a horrible design. Every figure is built that way....having said that, it's only a matter of time before friction causes the stress points to form.

16. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    First off nice review...I dig them, very informative...

I'm not gonna transform him @ all....just might get 2 hot rods, one bot mode and the other in alt mode with trailer...and keep the takara version in rodimus mode...

So it that all the Hasbro hot rod coming with, targetmaster?

17. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    As far as i know...yeah. No trailer but with his Targetmaster. And that's a shame that you're going to spend 200 bucks on a figure you can't even transform. They have statues i think that look better that cost that much...i'd get those instead lol

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree.

19. MethKitty

MethKitty it's about the podcast!

News Credits:
    i just checked the leg piece on the other side of my figure, it already has the stress mark so that means he is pretty much stuck in rodimus prime mode for the rest of his life *sad*

20. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    People seem to keep saying that it's QC issues on a few figures. I think this is a much more wide spread problem. It's not a matter of IF but a matter of WHEN