VIDEO/PHOTO Review of Animated Leader Bulkhead w/box & Instructions

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by D Banks, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:

[​IMG]
    ANIMATED LEADER-CLASS BULKHEAD

For more pics, click the link above

Robot Mode: The first thing one notices about Bulkhead's robot mode is that it's big. And seeing as that was the main problem of the Voyager version of this character, that's a pretty good start. As a Leader-class figure Bulkhead is still not as big as he should be in comparison to the Deluxe-class figures, but at least he now does tower over them by a significant margin. So one problem solved.

Leaving comparisons aside, Bulkhead is also a very good-looking robot. The basic look and feel of the Animated cartoon character has been captured nicely. He has the same bulky torso, short and stubby legs, the clawed arms, and the big-jawed head. Nicely done. The head could probably sit a little lower on his torso to enhance that 'hunchback' look, but that's just a minor detail. So look-wise I find very little to complain about.

Bulkhead's posability is also pretty good. The legs are as posable as stubby legs can be, the arms can move in all possible directions, and you can even fold down the 'wings' on Bulkhead's back as he did in one episode of Animated to form himself a chair. The only limitation here is that Bulkhead's head can only turn to the left and doesn't really stay in that position, either, as it's part of his voice gimmick.

Which brings me to my one big gripe about this figure: The gimmicks. The voice gimmick is pretty good, no complaints there. Three sentences spoken by the original voice actor are played when you press the Autobot symbol on his chest. "Time for the Big Guns.", "Sorry, my bad." and "Let's do it, buddy!". There is a fourth sentence included that can only be heard when Bulkhead is taken over by the Headmaster (see below).

The other gimmicks Bulkhead features in robot mode are a buzzsaw on his right hand, which can be made to spin via a lever on his forearm, as well as twin missile launchers on each forearm. Also, his left arm features a lever as well, which causes his clawed hand to open. Now don't get me wrong, all these gimmicks are fine and nicely implemented. The problem is, they're the wrong gimmicks. Bulkhead never had missile launchers in the cartoon and if he ever had a buzzsaw, I don't remember it. His major feature, though, the wrecking ball, is completely absent here. I get that they probably wanted this figure to be somewhat different from the Voyager version, but why leave out one of Bulkhead's main characteristics?

So all in all, a very nice robot mode, but with one major point against it for getting the gimmicks wrong.

Alternate Mode: Bulkhead transforms into a kind of military armoured transport vehicle, not sure what it's called. It's basically a big green brick on wheels, but it does look pretty good and all the robot parts fold away nicely. The one major difference between Leader Bulkhead and the Voyager version is that Bulkhead's robot head doesn't flip down into the inside of the torso. Rather it is covered by a kind of helmet that serves as a small gun turret on top of the vehicle. I don't really have a problem with that, but it is another deviation from the cartoon counterpart.

The same problem present in the robot mode persists here. The missile launchers are now on the sides of the vehicle and while they do look good there and can even be turned to fire upwards or backwards, I once again wonder what they're doing here in the first place. Bulkhead's vehicle mode in the cartoon doesn't feature any armaments.

I can't really say all that much more about the vehicle mode. It's good, it's solid, but once again one has to ask why the designers felt the need to include features and gimmicks not seen in the cartoon.

Partners / Add-Ons: In one episode of the cartoon Bulkhead got his head cut off and his body was then taken over by the Headmaster, a juvenile madman who built a flying head-unit that could control all kinds of robots. This Headmaster unit is included with Bulkhead. You don't have to cut off Bulky's head, though, the Headmaster fits over it like a helmet.

While I don't particularly like the look of this replacement head, it is very close to the cartoon counterpart and features a special added sound effect. Pressing on Bulkhead's Autobot symbol now produces one of the Headmaster's favourite lines: "Ownage! Total Ownage!". The Headmaster helmet can also be used with Leader Megatron, though without any added sound effects there. We'll see if it fits on Leader-class Ultra Magnus as well.

Remarks: Bulkhead is the strongman of the Earth-based Autobots and pretty much the largest Autobot of them all (not counting Omega Supreme). He's also the most gentle and kind and he's got the soul of an artist. He loves painting (even though it's not easy with his huge claw hands) and he's also considered the number one authority on space bridges, even though most of his fellows can't quite believe it. So to sum it up, Bulkhead is an all-around nice guy. At least as long as you're on his good side.

As a figure Leader-class Bulkhead has his good sides and his bad ones. In terms of scale he's much more compatible with the other Animated figures than the Voyager version, but he does lose some points in terms of gimmicks and some details. The best Bulkhead would probably be a fusion between the two versions, but if I were forced to choose, I guess the Leader-class version would win by a very tiny margin, mostly because I like to have my various figures in scale to each other if at all possible. Still, considering that most of Bulkhead's problems could easily have been avoided, I can't award him more than a good B.

Rating: B

2. madman1366

madman1366 "The Bad Guy"

News Credits:
    Perhaps we'll see Bulkhead with some upgrades on the show in the near future to beef up his firepower. It would be nice to see!

3. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    someone show us the chair mode!

4. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Can the missle armaments be removed from this guy? Like, the whole unit and not just the individual missles?

5. Philister

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, not without some heavy tools.

6. Philister

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's the chair-man!

[​IMG]

7. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Great review Philister, I like the various pictures and the informative write up.

8. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Thanks. Are they held on by screws or by rivets?

I'm thinking this guy will require some extensive surgery to get him how I want him. Remove the missle armaments, swap hands with a second Bulkhead to give him two proper hands, find a way to make the turret over his head less of an eyesore.

Another good thing about having a second one to salvage the hand from is that I can use him for practice surgery! :D 

9. Philister

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The bigger plates on his forearms are one piece with the forearms themselves. The missile lauchers are sitting on those plates and there are no screws or rivets visible. You probably have to take the forearm completely apart to see.

10. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

This thing is awesome. I love the chair, his transformation, weapons, and I can just listen to "Ownage" all day. One question, are the mouth and eyebrow supposed to move a lot ir just a little bit, since mine is barely noticeable like what Tatsu said

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Seems to vary. Some toys the face parts are stiff and don't move as much as they should with the symbol button (if at all), while others move properly. Working properly the expression change is very noticeable ( from -_- to '0' )

I mentioned in an earlier thread that my Pre-release Bulkhead was missing the little crest piece on top of the head. Now I have a store-bought one with the crest, and notice it BARELY fits inside the turret cover, and tends to scrape a bit. I carved down some edges inside the turret to clean that up a bit.

12. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Is there an easy fix?

Edit: NVM, I just opened his jaw as far as it'd go and now it works better

13. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Ugh, now I can't get the Headmaster to work. Can someone take a pic of the little notch to the right of his head, the one with the little tab in it?

Edit: Fuck this. Now I cannot fix it at all without driving the long-ass pin out. I hadn't even had him for an hour until he broke from one fall of less than half an inch

Edit 2: Double Fuck. I go the top section out by cheating, but then found that a wire broke

14. Philister

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The jaws move a little bit when you activate the sound effects, that's it.

15. Demonicon

Demonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine doesn't really, but it's at least supposed to move the top. I accidentally popped off the top part and saw his eyes are like "o_0"

16. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    if anyone was curious, headmaster can loosely sit on Starscream's shoulders...

[​IMG]

17. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    His non-working mouth-gimmick frustrates me to no end. And 9 out of 10 Bulkheads I see on the shelves have the same problem. There has to be a way to fix it so it moves properly.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Bulkhead must hate your region. The pre-release Ebay Bulkhead I got had a non-working mouth, but 4 out of 4 that I've seen on TRU shelves (but no Megatrons ... rrrgh.) worked just fine.

However, I do wish the electronics didn't play any new voice clips until the last one finishes ... if only because the gimmick just begs for you to attempt to lip-sync the toy to the voice - rather tough when messing with the button usually jumps to the next clip if you try.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  19. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just got both wave 1 Leaders this weekend. Animated continues to amaze!

Also, I'm not regretting it at all that I have both Voyager and Leader Bulkhead.

Try this:
    It just worked on mine. My Bulky's jaw and brow weren't moving at all with a button press. Starting with the head in neutral position, I pushed the jaw down as far as I could -- his head turned as I did this. Then I pushed the brow up. Works great now!

Thanks, EvaUnit13! Sorry about your other troubles, though. :( 

Now that his jaw works, I just tried that on mine. Like yours, the next voice clip started each time.

However, Megatron does NOT start a new clip if the previous one isn't done. So he CAN lip-sync!

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:

:banghead: My Megatron does.