Video games you HATE that everybody loves.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by UnicronFTW, Nov 30, 2011.

1. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    Another one I just remembered: LA Noire, such a boring game, I had zero feelings for any of the characters and (don't hate me for this) the graphics really weren't all that impressive

2. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Super Mario 64 - Without any level of notalgia, its just a overrated repetitive platformer.

Sonic Adventure 2 - Its all awful after City Escape.

QFT

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    This is such a weird post.

4. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Platform games, including anything to do with Super Mario - great, jumping. Woopee.

Halo - played the first one and didn't get what the fuss was about. Super soldier fighting aliens...great. Never seen that before.

CoD - maybe it's just because I'm a history and politics nerd, but the stories that they come up with are so darn stupid that it just spoils the whole thing for me.

Fighting games - I don't enjoy button mashing in the slightest.

World of Warcraft - tried it, got to about level 10. Was it fun? Sort of. Worth paying all of that extra money per month to play? Hell no.

5. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

FPS: They never really worked for me. Just don't like the style. Plus, too realistic. I prefer a gun that...well, one of those TF beam guns that never needs reloading. Always get killed while reloading/by someone around the corner.

Any 2D Sonic Game: Half the time you don't know where the hell you're going, any it doesn't really matter because the stage is set up to let you reach the boss at the end, even if you're not really capable of comprehending the really fast sections.

Skylanders Spyro's Adventure: I have the 3DS version. Simply put, get the other versions.

Any Mario Party Game after the first 2 that you own: Repetitive crap after the first two, only interesting if you're 5. (i suppose this is only loved by kids...)

Any Zelda game: Don't get me wrong, they're alright, but not worth making a limited Wiimote/3DS/whatever hardware with a Triforce logo over this franchise.

Cooking Mama: Seems to be liked by people who....well, either want to encourage their children to cook or have no understanding of the meaning of the word "garish".

Wii Fit/Wii Fit Plus/Wii Sports/Wii Sports Resort: They all sucked. They only work if you have a family that's stupid enough to play them. (Wii Sports Resort gets some reprieve due to the awesome swordplay mode).

Mario Kart Wii: It's an overrated piece of crap, the Wii Wheel is a joke and a literal pain to hold, and the controls were crap. Plus, who ever thought using a Wii Wheel to control a motorcycle was a good idea? That person really needs to be shot.

6. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    All COD.

7. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Sports games. All of them.

8. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

All spin-off pokemon games. They all sucked.

Oh, and actually the main line Pokemon games weren't that great either. Good games, but not worthy of the hype.

9. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I didn't like Mario 64 either. I always had the opinion, people should keep using sprites until polygon graphics were good enough to not look so boxy. It's not until now that they can create good looking games using 3D. Most games of the last 10 years don't look good right now, where as you can play even older games on the Super Nintendo and Mega Drive still today and enjoy the colorful graphics and greatly drawn sprites. Or look at Neo Geo games. They still look good, despite them being from the 90s. And now look at games like Tekken 1, Battle Arena Toshinden or Resident Evil 1. They were cool back then, but now they look really ugly.

10. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Halo - Never enjoyed any of them outside of the setting, which is pretty cool, and the designs, which are also pretty cool. Reach wasn't bad, I enjoyed that one.

Call of Duty - odd one, don't mind it in and of itself, but I resent the effects it had on gaming. Every fps dev seems to want to take it's audience (understandable, since it's audience is huge), but it's resulted in a lot of FPS becoming 'me too' brown and bloom handholders (and honestly, probably missing the thing that draws people to CoD in the first place). Also grown to dislike the fact they still charge full pice for what amounts to an expansion, but that's pretty prevelant these days, and I don't recall it starting with CoD.

Zelda - have tried them over the years, never captured my attention enough to continue playing them.

Final Fantasy - Played VII once after a friend told me it was amazing. Didn't like it. Haven't seen anything since in any iteration that's made me think "This is something I want to play".

Resident Evil - It's difficulty/scaryness was entirely artificial - the result of a clumsy control system rather than anything truly scary.

Gears of War - Played each one. Interesting gameplay for the first few hours, gets stale quickly. Would probably have been more tempted to sit the games out to the end had I actually given a shit about their boring characters (that everyone seems to love :( ).

Don't hate this one, but: MGS4 - Started fine, but it's like Kojima forgot what he was doing, and the second half of the game was atrocious. I wish it'd been 'classic' MGS, with one location. It'd have made the whole game 'gel' a lot more if it'd been set entirely (or mostly) in the Mid East, or the Jungle. I still reckon they could have done it without compromising the story they tried to tell, and the battlefield stealth was a really interesting concept if they'd stuck with it more rather than forgetting it half way through. In the end it felt like they tried to do too much, and the individual components weren't as good as they needed to be.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  11. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Portal - I can't say so much as I hate the game but it just feels like a one trick pony for me. The humor it has, while good, seems to serve as a primary feature in terms of dialogue that the actual gameplay itself. The puzzles I wish had multiple solutions or a sort of "do it your way" sort of problem solving, but I just don't feel it.

Ace Combat - Yeah, this is a love/hate game for me. I'm a hypocrite as I've played and finished all of them, more than once even, except #1 and #3. The storytelling, dialogue, and their special scenarios drive me crazy. Also knowing what I know about aircraft, I can't help but cringe in the back of my mind at some of the stuff done, yes I know its a more arcadey like game, but I feel like its about the only choice I got if I want to play any decent "modern" air combat games.

The majority of Final Fantasy games - I do treat these on a game by game basis because each title has no connection to each other. I really enjoy FF:Tactics on my PSP, and love the old English they speak, but the others don't appeal to me in lots of ways, story, characters, and their overabundance of "pretty".

That's about all I can think of for right now. I love video games too much so I don't focus too much on the hate on them.

12. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Resident Evil - Clumsy controls. Admittedly, the only RE games I've ever played were 1 and 3, and those games belonged to my brother back in the day, so I played only bits and pieces of those. When I heard of Resident Evil 5, I got the demo, and...the controls are still clumsy, especially the menu to switch weapons and items and stuff. Hey Capcom, if I ever need to switch key items, I'd pause the game and do it, and not have to switch items while zombies are tearing me limb from limb.
    Sports Games - Honestly, the only sports games I remember playing that I actually liked had Mario on them. :dunce  The sole exception to this is Wayne Gretzy's 3D Hockey for N64.
    Call of Duty 4 and its subsequent sequels - Call of Duty 4 was the first game I ever owned for the Xbox 360. If time travel existed, I would have gone back in time to when I got my 360 for my birthday and change my birthday list to include Halo 3 instead of this bland FPS. While it's always a nice break from the usual sci-fi and spy FPS's, somehow a realistic FPS just bores me. Can't say I was impressed with Modern Warfare 2, either. Thank goodness I'm not getting MW3.
    The Sims - Seriously? They're STILL making these games instead of giving us new SimCity games? WTF Maxis?
    Wii - Just the system itself. Don't get me wrong, it has GREAT games...I just wish Nintendo had made the smart choice and pushed motion controls to the side instead of making it the main attraction. Now we have more shovelware games for this console than good games. Thank God I sold mine. Unless Nintendo can really wow me with the Wii U at E3 next year, I'm done with them console-wise. Handheld-wise, I might get a 3DS down the road, but we'll have to wait and see.
    Halo Reach - Hoo boy, I can hear a lot of people getting ready to send me responses as to why I hate this game (yet I still play it). I'll just sum it up: Campaign was meh, Firefight was okay, but I did NOT like the multiplayer. The only reason I still play is that people barely play Halo 3 these days. I guess I expected Halo Reach's multiplayer to be an updated version of Halo 3's multiplayer (should have figured that out when I played the Reach Beta).

13. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    The sims games
    Ace combat games (I'm not a flight sim kind of guy)
    Armored core 4 (the mech customization was kind of confusing)

14. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    Any pokemon game, its just the same thing; choose 1 of 3 pokemon, fight your rival, fight gym leaders, get gym badges, when you get all the gym badges, go to the pokemon league, beat them, get some special ribbons, go fight some giant pokemon, fight some bad guys depending on which game you bought, go catch some more pokemon, trade with guys online to get all the pokemon..........that seems to be it. And it happens in every single game

15. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    If they ever did an MMO or a fully 3d game I might be tempted to go back, but every single game since Red/Blue has felt like they're trying to expand on Red/Blue without really doing anything - they've totally failed to re-capture that feeling I had with red/blue.

Maybe I got old. :( 

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rygar: NES. Greatest NES game I have played 100 million times, but no one cares about it but me :D 

17. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    Mass Effect.

18. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Zelda; have never understood the appeal of it

19. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    Gotta agree with this.

20. ShiroPrime

ShiroPrime blargh

Ha, you've summed up my feelings for the series word for word.

Freakin' HATED Super Ghosts "n" Goblins (and all it's variations); hate the fact that Capcom is also trying to push the series as the greatest thing since underwear.