Video games that cheat to win.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Weirdwolf, May 15, 2008.

1. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ever had those moments where you just feel cheated after playing a video game, specifically a sports game?

Case in point, I was playing NBA Live 08 just now on PS3. I was the Phoenix Suns playing against the Orlando Magic. Late in the third quarter, I was STOMPING them by 21 points. All of a sudden, I can't hit the broad side of a barn, even uncontested right up on the basket. A high percentage shot. It's not like I was trying to be fancy or anything, or even changed the way I was playing. Then in the 4th quarter, the officials start whistling fouls on players away from the ball that I am not even controlling. Game ends, I lose by 1 stinking point. I mean, really, that's ridiculous.

Stuff like this has been in sports games, and other video games too, for many years. Is it some kind of programming that is supposed to give players more challenge, but rather just the opposite and cheats them instead? Let's hear your stories!

2. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    See also: Almost every racing game ever made. All well and good if you get into an unlucky crash and end up behind, hugely aggrivating if you're ahead by 20 seconds and the computer catches up even though you're going top speed in the fastest car available.

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    That Mario Kart series is notorious for rubber band AI.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Mario Kart 64 gives opponent racers items even if they dont hit item boxes.

5. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

QFMFT! [​IMG]

6. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    The original Mario Kart gave the oponents annoying items that you can't use even if you were using that specific character...

7. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

Any damn sports/racing game from EA. I have been up by 30 points on the Dolphins as the Broncos, only watch my quarterback throw 5 interceptions that should not have been (i.e., the football ricochets halfway across the field backwards and into a defender's waiting hand) or have my running back fumble by looking at the ball, and all of them get run back for touchdowns within the last minute of the game so I cannot retaliate. I have seen Heywood Jablouwme of the Clippers teleport across the court and block Kevin Garnett in the closing minutes of a game that I inevitably lose by 3 points after leading by 50 the whole game. I have been driving a tricked-out Ford GT and had a 3-minute lead in a race, only to get an oncoming car stuck to the front of the car and keep me from the finish line as a Chevy Cobalt blows by and takes the win.

EA is quite possibly the worst offender for this.

8. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

Any of the Need For Speed games pretty much, not only the rubber-band AI but the oh-so-conveniently placed traffic right in your path around blind corners. The last few races you get to on Ridge Racer 7 are ridiculously hard with very lucky AIs as well.

IIRC Psygnosis admitted that the original Wipeout was programmed to cheat on the hardest difficulty as well.

9. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

The Need For Speed series is well known for its rubber band effect, even when the "catch up" option is turned off. It's traditionally also had kamikazi traffic AI, that will actually swerve in front of you. I've actually seen the suicidal traffic in NFS 3 through 6. At least in Hot Pursuit 2 (NFS 6) they'd veer back into their own lane, if you honked the horn. Most Wanted doesn't seem to have that problem, but the traffic cars love to make left turns out of the right lane (and vice versa) usually just as you're trying to pass them. (where they then become inexpicably welded to your bumper.)

10. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

YES. I swear, they coated every other car in that game with Stick-um or something.

11. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These aren't sports but some examples I know would be fighting game characters never having to do what it actually takes to perform a special move, particularly charge moves like Guiles sonic boom. Also, Mortal Kombat 3, at least the home versions, had an oddity where if you won a match, the next match would have greatly increased difficulty. Once you lost, it goes back to normal.

Oh, and Tetris.

12. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I don't diversify much in video games, but the worst offender I have played was Tecmo Super Bowl. Theres always 1 game during the season that is damn near impossible to win for the perfect season. Doesn't matter who the opponent is either. Then the Super Bowl is the same way. Every 3 out of 4 plays get superblitzed.

13. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

any version of ghosts n goblins-the game always spawns an enemy or bullet WHEREVER you are going to land or run

14. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Regardless of what the creators say, Puzzle Quest. That game bends you over so hard sometimes.

15. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

at least those were the only items they could use and most of them were stationary items on the track like a banana peel clone. it certainly beats the 4 blue shells a race we've had to endure since double dash.

16. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Mario Kart and most/all Mario sports games. Fuck Nintendo's AI.

The early editions of NFL Blitz, it was an arcade game meant to eat your quarters that carried that bs over to the home games.

2d Mortal Kombat games. I loved being thrown and uppercutted out of moves and seeing my moves fail since the cpu wasn't animation/frame locked like the player.

17. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

I felt like I got cheated last night on GTA IV. Got this mission where I have to rescue Roman at this warehouse. So I clear the first 2 floors of bad guys, then the last one and free Roman. We run out of the warehouse via a different route and climb into this truck placed outside. I hear police sirens coming, so I start driving, only to have the truck inexplicably explode and forcing me to have to redo the entire mission. It had taken me a couple tries to clear the warehouse, but when I finally do and rescue Roman, I get jipped by this truck deciding to blow up on it's own? Screw that.

18. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I'm not sure if it counts, but the higher level CPUs in Super Smash Bros Brawl edgehog quite a bit, and they pull off perfect shields all the time. Rubber-band AIs suck, other than being cheap and getting random power ups whenever they're losing, they get players frustrated at the game for stealing their well-deserved win

19. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Harvest Moon.

I mean, SUN for 5 days straight? What the fuck is that shit. My guy is too fucking tired because he's always watering all his fucking crops. In the real world, it RAINS. Especially if you're able to FARM IN THAT REGION.

Fucking Harvest Moon.

Fucking Natsume.

(j/k)

20. alecgates15

alecgates15 DK is Triple Hitler

News Credits:
    There are propane tanks outside the warehouse so... Just saying