Video Editing Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, Dec 29, 2007.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have been a long time writer- been using a Win98 machine as a word processor- and well, i got a new system- a Vista with 3 gb of Ram and 256mb video card.
    well, i wanted to take clips from my BTAS collection and make a video or two for my girl, but I am a noob to it all.
    I have been playing (and after a week, it is still playing to me) with Windows Movie Maker, i still don't like the output it gives me.
    So I am asking, what setup/software is simple enough for a noob to dive into and make decent vids?
    any other suggestions would be nice.

thanks.

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1) Don't use Windows Movie Maker.

2) Spend many dollars (or zero dollars depending how you do it) on something like Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas.

3) Practice a bit.

There's really no way of doing anything really well if you're a total n00b, so work a little bit of becoming a uber l33t d00d. It shouldn't take you too long.

3. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

There is nothing really wrong with Windows Movie maker. Heck, it's how I made my BW music video, and how I encode stuff for Zune.

Whats the problem?

4. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Vegas is a beast if you've never used a video editing suite before. Start off in Movie Maker, then gradually shift to Vegas. Also, there's about a bajillion tutorials out there in teh intarweb tubes for both. You may want to read a few.

5. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Frames....

My problem with WMM is extra frames.
    Years ago (1996-1998) i got some experience with video editing on linear editors like tv stations used. you had a source deck, record deck and well, you program the cuts and it assembled it.
    i got to the point i could make edits without extra frames (or that glitchy look.)

with the few edits i have tried, i get the extra frames.
    just worried that either my edit marks aren't accurate enough or WMM isn't accurate enough for it.

but, i am pretty sure that being new to it, i won't be doing any Michael Bay films next week.

if i can get by on WMM, i can be happy. Not really looking into the big guns for something i am doing for kicks and girlfriend, ya know?
    why buy Photshop wihen I can download GIMP? all i do to my photos is crop and resize to make it easier to send to friends.

noob to pro is what i aim for. thanks!