Video Card Problems

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Cloud Strife, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

I am working on replacing the video card on my computer. it is currently using the onboard video card.The reason i am replacing the onboard is not because of gaming or anything like that, i was stupid when i first got the compuer from the local thrift store and broke the video connector. it still works but i have to hold the video connector to see any video. i am using:

HP Pavillion a305w
    2.7 gig celleron proccesor
    500 MB of ram
    450W power supply
    XP Pro SP 2

the video card is:

BFG
    Nvidia GeForce 6200 OC PCI

it requires:

128 MB of ram
    CD or DVD-ROM
    available PCI 2.0 slot
    35 MB of hard drive space
    XP or Vista
    250W power supply

far as i can tell i should have no problems installing it right?
    well when i put the card in and turn on the computer, i get the post code, "long, short, short" which means video card problems. what is the deal? i have switched bios to look for the PCI video card instead of onboard. is the card just not compabible withe the motherboard? is there any thing i can do to fix it? such as flashing BIOS?

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

before you installed the new card, you might have to install the drivers first....dont remember if i had to do it when i did mines...but i did have to do it for my sound card though

3. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

the instructions for this one said to install the card first, but it couldn't hurt to install the drivers first(but i don't think not having drivers would cause a POST error). it's worth a shot,i'll try it tomarrow night.