Heavy/Scratch: VHS-Laserbeak (W.I.P.)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by KINGBOTZ, Oct 26, 2018.

1. usernamedustin

usernamedustin 3P Scourgatron KO. Has Die-Cast and Ankle-Tilts.

Is Fantom Fury the name for the black stealth redeco of Laserbeak?

...because it should be.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Wheelz

Wheelz Well-Known Member

You are a sick twisted madman! I love it!

• Like Like x 1
  3. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened

News Credits:
    Man this just really reminded me of a project I've had in my head for years, taking a broken Xbox and turning it into Soundwave, with the controller becoming "Rumble" (like the rumble aka "vibration" of the controller...I'm hilarious.) and maybe another becoming Laserbeak.

I'm excited to see how this turns out! Looking great so far, I love to see the process behind this.

(And out of curiosity, any plans for a VHS player Soundwave?)

• Like Like x 1
  4. KINGBOTZ

KINGBOTZ www.KINGBOTZ.com

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Hell yeah, and hopefully many more to come! I'm already jumping the gun and pondering the VHS-combiner concept of Slamdance & Squawkbox, but for now I need to calm my tits & start with the basics like this one & Ravage first, gettin too excited! haha :lol :lol 

That's actually coincidentally not a bad-idea! :drool: 

The head-voices told me not to pursue this project, but thankfully I'm diligent & don't listen to nut-jobs! :crazy: :lol 

Well that goes without sayin, I knew the VCR-proposal was comin, was just a matter of time! :lol  It only makes sense though, and I had that same convo with a Facebook-friend just a couple days ago......and as far-fetched as that may sound, it's in the back of my mind. I'm pretty much playin it by ear at this point in the early-stages of this first concept to test the waters. Depending what kind of reception & success it has, that'll determine just how much further I take it with other characters like Ravage next, whether doing a VCR-Soundwave will be worth the time & trouble.......but if that DOES become a reality, I'll be looking into using an older top-loader VCR to take the tapes, not the newer-ones that sucked 'em in and disappeared, you just can't get 'em back out. At least with the older ones, you just hit the button and the deck popped out the top and you could just grab the tape, old Beta-max players were made like that too. Will this venture get that far? We'll see.... :ev: 

• Like Like x 5
  5. KINGBOTZ

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Okay so did a little test with the tape-flap at the top to create some bird-mode articulation, and very much success!! :thumbs2:  Was able to squeeze a ball-joint in the corner there to not only get the flap to pivot-out, but UP as well to add some depth to the wings and not just be parallel to the standing-surface. Worked-out well, now on to the other side, then figuring out the entire wing-mount pivot. Will be doing everything up top first before I start cutting & designating leg-panels on the bottom/back-half of the tape-shell. Meanwhile, here's some mock-ups of how the wing is shaping-up, still looking like at least about a 16" wingspan....

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

• Like Like x 14
  6. xjsb125

xjsb125 Member

This has to be the coolest damn thing going on here right now! I can't wait to see how this turns out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fereality

fereality Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Tumblr:
    Yes Chant.gif
    This is an awesome idea.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy The Lethal Protector

I am 15 and I know what a VHS tape is! My grandparents had one! Watched 101 dalmatians all the time!

• Like Like x 6
  9. KINGBOTZ

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Yeah man, it's pretty unusual & exciting, just got a wild-hair outta nowhere a few days ago and decided to just take this thing out the box & start cuttin' on it! Pretty amazing the reception & feedback on here & Facebook so far, seems everybody is as excited about it as I am, makes me feel like a kid again. :D 

Yep, I'm kinda disappointed in myself for not actually tackling this concept sooner, but it was the Netflix TF-episode of "The Toys That Made Us" that got my gears turning for this once I saw the brief-glimpse of Takara-designer Hideaki Yoke holding that VHS-bot prototype towards the end.....that was the first I'd ever seen it, was fascinated by it and had to know more, that's what inspired me to build this.

Man, that's CRAZY-coincidental that you should mention that, a friend of mine picked up a load of VHS-tapes for me at the thrift-store today and 102-Dalmations was one of the tapes!!! Ya know, sometimes I actually kinda miss the novelty of walking around the video-store, picking-out a movie, holding a stack of tapes, hearing the rattle of the tape-reels, popping the tape in the VCR & hearing it load and wind-up as the movie started to play.......when you heard the VCR doing its work, you knew you were in for a couple-hours of fun and immersion, it was part of the experience......don't really miss the long rewind-times, late-fees, tapes gettin eaten & the long & painful-process of trying to find a certain scene, just like the fiasco with cassettes & 8-tracks. Doesn't seem like that long ago. Another thing that blew my mind is, I recently discovered the Beta-max recorder-production ceased in 2002, but Sony still made new Beta-tapes til 2016!! :eek: 

20181030_185212.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  10. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

Love the idea

• Like Like x 1
  11. G2 Superion is fabulous

G2 Superion is fabulous Your standard gay teenager

The garbage can behind your local Applebees.
    I'm pretty sure most people over the age of 8 know what a VHS tape is, my dude... Seriously looking forward to seeing how this turns out! Looks super good!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    Lol that is not even the original 101 Dalmatians. It must have come some 30 years after the original 1961 toon.

Aw man love vhs, tech was much more fun. Used to record stuff all the time, now that aspect is worked out so you wouldn't go out your way to do it. Not that there is anything id record if i could.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

Considering it's outdated technology that few people actually use anymore. Even my grandparents upgraded to DVD and don't own a single VHS anymore. I think you're over estimating how many young kids will actually know what they are.

I still have a few VHS tapes but I really shouldn't as I have no way of ever watching them again. My VCR took a dump years ago and since it's become so outdated I can't even find a working replacment for it. The thing ate one of my tapes, wouldn't eject it. My dad had to take it apart just to get the tape out. Shortly after that I got a DVD player and haven't looked back since. I also replaced the DVD player about two years ago. It still works but I started to notice that a lot of movies were starting to only put special features on Blu Ray and the DVD version would just be the movie with limited or no special features. I like watching bloopers and deleted scenes so it sucks when certain movies only offer those features on the Blu Ray copy.

Anyway... back to the original topic... regarding the labels, they do actually make sticker sheets with labels already cut out that are blank so you can design a custom label on the computer and print them out. I believe my dad might still have some. We used it when I was in high school to make props for the Gatoraid Raid (YouTube.com/rialvestro) and more recently I used it to make some custom stickers for my Junkions.

Side note there are a few different types of sticker paper. Some have precut shapes made specifically for certain things like VHS labels. The one we used for my Junkions didn't have any of that so it could be cut into any shape you wanted so even if we don't have the precut VHS labels I could still make you some custom stickers or just send you some blank sheets to make your own if you want.

Also might I suggest recreating real movie labels that fit the character or parody titles with the character's name worked into the title in some way. Would be better than breaking the 4th wall by having them transform into VHS tapes of their own show. At least in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas Well-Known Member

I like the idea of using non Transformer movies appropriate to the character :) 

• Like Like x 2
  15. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Amazing. You have my respect for succeeding to cut the tape up into neat pieces.

• Like Like x 2
  16. KINGBOTZ

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Wings are now cut & mounted, here's a quick demo how they work! :cool: 

• Like Like x 11
  17. dragonflye18

dragonflye18 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    :drool: :drool:  mmmm im liking this

• Like Like x 1
  18. The Happenin Rhinoceros

The Happenin Rhinoceros Rhinocerotoidea Trendsettius

Three Days of the Condor

• Like Like x 1
  19. battlefudge

battlefudge Still in the biz...

That is a clever transformation. I like the use of the pins as guides. A few more and they would look like feathers lol!
    Great stuff, keep going!

• Like Like x 1
  20. KINGBOTZ

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Pics summarizing the Laserbeak-updates in addition to the wing-transformation demo posted yesterday.....wings are connected & done for the most part, now time to move-on to the legs-
    11.JPG 12.JPG 13.JPG 14.JPG 15.JPG

• Like Like x 7