VH1 Rock Honors.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gryph, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Holy crap was this one badass show! It was a special honoring four legendary rock bands.

Queen
    Judas Priest
    Def Leopard
    KISS

Besides those four bands performing themselves, four other bands did tributes to them.

Foo Fighters/Queen
    Godsmack/Judas Priest
    The All American Rejects/Def Leopard
    KISS Tribute All Star Band

The Whole thing was so awsome. Foo Fighters actually performed with Queen. First, Queen came out half way through their first song. There were two drummers and FIVE guitarists. Then when Queen performed, they were all out there again, but this time there where THREE drummers and four guitarists. You haven't heard We Will Rock you and We Are the Champions untill you've heard it with three drummers. It was nuts! And loud. Very very loud.

Godsmack couldn't decide on which songs to pick from Judas Priest, so they just did a medly of songs instead. It was very nice.

The All American Rejects did great Def Leopard covers.

The big hit of the night was definately the all star band. Slash, Tommy Lee, Scott Ian, Rob Zombie and Gilby Clarke. But that's not all! Before they began, Rob Zombie said they were going to be (if I remember correctly) "the ultimate f*cking supergroup in the world", and to do that they needed one last member, Ace Freeley! My god! These guys really need to record an album. They kicked all kinds of ass. Scott Ian was going crazy up there. lol You could tell each and every guy up there was having the time of their lives.

http://www.vh1.com/shows/events/rock_honors/2006/performers.jhtml

Be sure to check out the videos section. There's supposed to be one song from each band that wasn't shown on tv.

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    def leppard's hysteria kicked mucho ass. the 1st true stereo record.

3. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

My friend said that the foo fighters, godsmack, and AAR butchered the songs.

4. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I thought they did great.

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

There's too many award shows. I sometimes get tired of seeing them.

6. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was definitely a fun show to watch! Here's my thoughts:

Foo Fighters with Queen:
    Pretty good set! At least they picked a song that wasn't SO Freddie Mercury that you immediately start to hate it, so I didn't mind it at all. Nice job!

Queen w/ Paul Rogers:
    Queen (as a band) were excellent as always...but no one can replace Freddie Mercury, so even though the singer is a great singer, it just felt weird, and I didn't care for it.

Godsmack:
    I am a bit biased, as I am a HUGE Priest fan...but Godsmack completely butchered both Electric eye and Hell Bent for Leather. They did pretty good on Victim of Changes, because the original song was recorded in the 70s and was before they really got into their metal groove, so hearing it chunked up a bit was nice, but the vocals were AWFUL. I mean they really picked the worst type of band ever to do a cover of a Priest song. Hearing that guy try to gloss over the fact that he can't do Halford's high notes was cringeworthy to say the least. And his stage movements were an embarrassment to the Metal Gods with his little hip hoppy hand gestures....

Judas Priest:
    Were fantasic, as always. The best thing about Judas Priest is they age like a fine wine. Godfathers of metal, indeed.....

All American Rejects:
    I've never heard of this band, but they actually did okay! The reason why is because their vocalist was in the same spectrum as Joe Elliot and so it wasn't this huge contrast, unlike Godsmack (sorry...I can't express how offensive their versions were to a huge Priest fan like myself). Although I have to say the guitarist's backing vocals were pretty awful as was his little "mawdle walk" down the runway.

Def Leppard:
    I've not been very impressed with their energy on stage lately. They have been playing Rock of Ages on various shows lately and it just seems completely uninspired. Yes, they are in their 40s, but hell...Priest are in their 40s and 50s and they still rock harder. So does Maiden...and Kiss...etc. It just seems like they are kind of cashing in on nostalgia rather than trying to actually still be a force. Yes, they are the "aged rocker" which can be easy to just fall back on. There's nothing wrong with just singing the old shit (Dee Snider and Twisted Sister actually refuse to play any new material live...because they acknowledge that isn't what fans what to hear), but if you are going to DO IT GOOD! Don't be old about it. There are plenty of other "aging rockers" that still kick ass *and* record phenomenal music to boot (Iron Maiden, again, has to be referenced in this example). And they were, of course, the only band that tried to plug their new album. Pretty weak.
    Don't get me wrong, I love DL....but they can do a lot better.

Supergroup w/ Ace Frehley:
    Absolutely AWESOME. When you take this and put it next to Godsmack....tell me Godsmack did a good job. They did a GREAT cover of a GREAT song, and they made it their own without butchering it. It doesn't hurt that I like each of the individual memebers, where I will admit Godsmack has always ALWAYS irritated me. Last time I will slam them, I promise. ;)  hahaha.

KISS:
    Ruled, as always. They definitely know how to put on a show, and as long as they keep that make-up on, it could be the 70s again and you wouldn't know any different.

Overall: A mixed bag, but totally worth watching for the high points. Metal Month has been good to me. :D 

-Dusty

7. shifty02

shifty02 Greetings Programs

I REALLY liked the KISS preformance, as well as the "super group" tribute to KISS as well.

Everything else was kind of meh.

-Shifty

8. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Rob Halford looks more badass now than he did back then. Specially when he rode in on that bike. Very awsome.

9. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've been saying that for years. Once he came back with his band Halford in 2000, it truly was a "Resurrection".

He's never looked cooler and oddly enough, he's never sounded better. I don't know how you get to be 50 years old and sound better than you did in your 20s and 30s.....

That's why he's the Metal God, though....

:D 

-Dusty

10. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

I'm waiting on the the VH1 TFW2005 Honors to come out. Although it probably won't get to VH1, and they will put it on "The N" or "Nick GAS" or God forbid "Toon Disney".

11. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: 

I completely forgot about that, and I really wanted to see it just to see Queen with the new guy.(Paul Rogers is it?)

I didn't realize AAR was suposed to be on it. I'd really be suprised that they could do anything better then Godsmack. I haven't seen Godsmack do anything bad, and I haven't seen AAR do anything very well. I do think the lead singer looks like Tom Welling though.

12. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    He does doesn't he?! XD

I'm sure they'll be replaying it at least 2-3 more times this week.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

OMG Dave Grohl is god.

*joy*

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    "See you in Hell, Rob Halford."
    - Butthead
    Gotta love the Priest.

15. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Is John Deacon still refusing to perform?? Because if he is, it's not Queen. It's two blokes who were in Queen performing songs by Queen.

16. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well you could say the same thing with Kiss, as its just the Paul Stanley/Gene Simmons band, and they are still Kiss in my book.

But I agree....certain bands needs certain people to be complete, and Queen is unfortunately one of those bands were you need ALL of them to be complete. Unfortunately one of them is dead, so they really aren't Queen, and haven't been, since he passed away anyways.

-Dusty

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Bah. it's not Queen without Freddie anyway IMO.

18. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Without Freddy there just isn't enough Spandex.

19. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Without Freddie it’s just a money making scheme.

20. Darth Fitch

Darth Fitch Herald of Golobulus

Is it KISS without Ace and Peter, who've been long gone ... again. I even dug KISS with Bruce and Eric Singer... but dang.

Priest is awesome, I have a hard time imagining Godsmack covering Priest. Two totally different genres.