VH1 "I love Toys" sucks!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Golden Age, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Ok,
    I just want to point something out. The logic of the show "I love Toys" was waaaaay off.

First of all, I belive that the fan polls were ultimatley irrelevant to Vh1. How many people logged onto VH1.com to submit their vote for "the Bicycle" as being their favorite toy?
    VH1 supposedley created this list based on influence , lasting power, and appeal. They implemented a broad thought process including the bicycle, the wagon and "the jump rope" into their list. They also included board games and video games. I say that all of these items can be used for play, but aren't necessarily toys. I think that Vh1 needed to really think about what toys are before they made this show. So let's for a moment follow their logic. Lets think about what childhood standards have had the most influence. What about... "the ball"?!?!?!!
    It bothered me how subjective the list was. I have collected from many toy lines in my life. Vh1 placed Transformers below other toylines like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Star Wars. Why? because the Teenage Mustant Ninja Turtles said "Cowabunga" on the show...and Star Wars was a great movie series. Huh? I thought that we were talking about toys here. Vh1 was confused between storylines (characters) and toys as three dimensional objects for play. So this further destroys that initial logic system that they were implementing. Objectivley speaking, Star Wars was a far better movie series than Transformers the movie. Objectivley speaking, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise has more appealing characters than the Transformers franchise. HOWEVER as far as toylines go..I can objectivley say that Transformers are MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE. Star Wars, Gi Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Barbie, and He-man toys are essentially all the same thing. Plastic character driven action figures, that have accesories. (g1)Transformers transcend any 1 toy category, and therefore in my mind are more inventive, complex, and interesting. Transformers are all of these things:
    1. Action Figures (Like star wars)poseable character driven figures)
    2. Models (like matchbox cars) scale reproductions of vehicles)
    3. Puzzles (like a rubix cube) a systematic game)
    Now conssider the high quality materials that the Transformer toys were made from and we can start calling these toys well designed peice of art. Transformers use mechanics, and are probably conceived by artists who have had experience in Industrial Design. Studies also show that Transformers are the toys that most pre-teen boys buy before they start getting involved with video games. In other words they are an interactive toy, that stimulate a growing mind. The Star Wars franchise even realized this, and included "battle droids" in their franchise.
    You can say that Vh1's "I love Toys" was just a show...and just opinion based. In my opinion Vh1 makes third rate entertainment with very low standards.

I would also like to point out that Takara..the makers of the Transformers made the original Star Wars toys (George Lucas did not). I would also like to point out that the 3" Gi Joe figures were also made by Takara/Hasbro. Star Wars toys, and Gi Joe all stemmed from Takara's Micro Man series.

2. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

Whaaaaaaaaaa! Whaaaaaaaaa ! Whaaaaaaaaa!

3. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I could care less where TFs rate. The appeal isn't as broad as it used to be and besides it was a VH1 show.

Anything can be considered a toy and the range was very broad but It would be very hard for me to name 100 toy lines and even more so include 100 good toy lines.

I don't think they placed TMNT above TFS just for that saying. As a child of the 80s I can say I owned and generally was much more excited for TMNT than TFs. I would probably have voted Turtles higher than TFs even though my tastes have changed.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    It's VH-1. You were expecting maybe...quality programming?

5. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Are we really complaining about a show that aired on VH1?
    Come on, lets take it for what it was. A show meant for entertainment, nothing more nothing less.

6. Alpha Omegatron

Alpha Omegatron thread assassin

I'd have to agree with ninja turtles being higher up than TFs simply for the sheer merchandising monster they were back in the day. The proof is in the pudding. Vanilla Ice was in the ninja turtle movie, who's in the TF movie, Orsen frikin Wells?

7. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

but good merchandising has nothing to do with quality of the product.

8. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

I hate it when people leave proof in my pudding. I do like the conjunction of 'pudding' and 'vanilla' in the above post, though. Mmmmm, vanilla pudding.

9. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

speaking of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and pudding... anyone ever eat the Teenage mutant ninja turtle pudding pies by hostess? They were all green. I used to eat them....I was a fan too.

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Limed for truth.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

:lol 

Get back in your corner!

Really though, what do those washups know, they were too busy sucking Hollywoods...Glurpit

12. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm sad to admit it was those accursed turtles who took away my interest from Transformers:( 

But isn't it cool Tfs even made it on a list like that at all? what did you expect, #1?

Yeah I totally ate my body weight in those as a kid. I also wore a Ninja Turtles mask to lunch in 3rd grade and put applesauce on my pizza. I needed profession help

13. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

You do bring up an interesting tangent to what I'm talking about in the 'Are We Freaks' thread about the difference in what we think of as toys pre- and post-'80s, but this last bit isn't quiiite right.

Microman was a scaled down version of Henshin-Cyborg 1, a 12" figure that was itself modified from the 12" GIJoe mold. This new scale and it's ability to interact with vehicles could certainly be argued as the inspiration for the scale of Kenner's Star Wars line, but they were not made by Takara.
    The U.S. got Microman in the form of Micronauts, released by Mego, who turned down the SW license, probably the main reason Mego isn't still around.

GIJoe in it's 3 3/4" '80s form was a reimagining of the brand that capitalized more on SW's success than Microman/Micronauts, but even so, was a brainstorm of Hasbro and Marvel, without any involvement from Takara. Even so, while Takara/Microman may have been the first to utilize the 3 3/4" scale... they don't really deserve all the credit since it was essentially a scaled down 12" GIJoe to begin with.

Further, strictly speaking, Takara did not 'make' Transformers (TM). Takara made Microman/Microchange. Takara then made Diaclone as an offshoot of Microchange. Hasbro and Marvel, hot off that whole GIJoe thing, came up with the Transformers storyline, and blended Microchange, Diaclone and others into one toyline.

So it's all connected, but the idea that "ZOMG Takara/TFs is responsible for everything, so they should be #1!!" is folly. Transformers as a brand, is the final link in the chain chronologically. If anything, it should have been the original 1964 12" GIJoe. I don't even have any personal attachment to the scale, but it's pretty much where all of the above starts. GIJoe did come in at #4. Since they did sorta blend 12" and 3 3/4" into one, despite my initial thinking that SW should have placed higher, I'd say for the GIJoe brand they got it about right.

Still not sure about that Hula Hoop bullshit though.

14. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

LOL :thumb 
    :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol 

15. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Good points Omnibus. I knew they were connected...kinda hard to draw the dots. But I thought I read somewhere that before Kenner started with Star Wars, that Takara made the first couple of molds or something.

16. Omnibus Prime

I suppose that's entirely possible. I dunno that they made something that actually went on to be used in Kenner's line, but maybe they made some pieces of their own in a bid to get the license as surely Kenner wasn't the only one who was trying.

Or maybe there weren't companies falling over themselves to get the license because such things weren't lucrative before SW. Remember, Kenner wasn't ready to go with product until well after the movie. Here's an interesting interview on rebelscum with the former president of Kenner about the SW license.

It's kinda interesting to think about what would have happened if Takara had gotten the license, though. Or more likely, if Mego hadn't turned it down. They already had ties with Takara for Micronauts and likely would have used that same or very similar construction for the SW line. So we almost certainly would have had more poseable figures. Wonder if the vehicles would have turned out as well though. Kenner's vehicles were the star of the line IMO. Despite grumblings that they keep reusing them rather than make new ones in the current line, a lot of them hold up and were miles ahead of comparable toys at the time...kinda like the movie. :D 

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Don't forget the disclaimer in front of that show said "YOU WILL DISAGREE". Hey, I'd rate Transformers higher than the Snoopy Sno-cone machine, but I ain't losing any sleep over it.

18. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Omnibus:

And since the 12" Joe was a successful attempt to make a boys' toy as popular as Barbie was for girls, Barbie caused everything! To the fuzzy world with us all!

19. Omnibus Prime

:eek:  ACK!! Lalalalalalalalalalanotlisteninglalalalalalalala!! :p