VFX, Oscar and Transformers, incapable of an award?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Moy, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Oscar night is over, and still TF has fallen short as a great spectacle of CGI. It was nice to see it recognized at least for sound mixing, but Visual Effects?

I don't know what these judges look for in films mixed with CGI, but ROTF, like Avatar and D-9 had it's share of hard work, and not to winning is rather cheesy.

I never enjoy the political choices Oscars usually make towards films, but personally, Bay and his art team deserves an Oscar and VFX recognition.

:mad 

Attached Files:

2. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is the same story being whined over, and over, and over again.

The Oscars are bias. Transformers are not the sort of films that they tend to congratulate and award.

If you liked ROTF, then the movie was a success. If you didn't like it, it was a failure. It's a matter of perspective. Did ROTF win for visuals? No. Did they get nominated/short-listed? Yes. Does that not show some sort of honour for the work they did?

Seriously. We the fans have drastically different views between ourselves, let alone the critics and general cinemagoers. Lets just let it go.

3. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    " Lets just let it go." You're right, but still hurts on behalf of the artists at least.

4. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Problem with this last one was that there were quite a few scenes that felt "unfinished," and looked either choppy or far too clean/CG smooth (or just too bright, whichever scene you're referring to). They've all been pointed out, but for that alone I personally didn't think it should have been in the category.

On that note, don't expect it to win for the next movie release either. Even if it's the best stuff we ever see. Simply enjoy it on your own and leave it at that.

5. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    Well, no other movie had a chance against Avatar this year so it didn't matter that it lacked a nomination. The result would have been the same: no little golden statue for a TF film.

Somewhat on topic, I find it odd that with all the visual-effects heavy films that are common nowadays the VFX category, along with makeup, are the only two categories with a mere three nominations. Realistically, VFX should at least be expanded to five to match most of the other categories and the number of VFX-heavy films put out each year. That would give more films a fair shot at the award.

6. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I think TF 2007 had a good chance of winning, still don't know why it lost to The Golden Compass.

ROTF was beaten fairly I think...it's the second TF movie, and although there were improvements compared to 2007, it's still 'more of the same' to alot of people. Avatar on the other hand WOWED people, and District 9 managed to show believable aliens with a relatively small budget.

If TF should have won an Oscar it should have been in 2007. I don't think the movies will ever win one for VFX now.

7. Evil_the_Nub

Evil_the_Nub Well-Known Member

The effects in Avatar only worked because it was all cgi, it was basically an animated movie. The parts where the navi and humans were on screen at the same time looked terrible. I think Transformers does a great job of blending the cg and real stuff together.

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Really, I felt they both did different things very well. Avatar built its world from the ground up and made the humans look as if they were standing there and not in front of a blue screen and RotF made it look as if there were Transformers right in front of me.

9. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree, to me, when watching it a second time, you could tell the editing was rushed, they added in random jump cuts, usually to save time on CGI for that particular scene(Megatron going to the nemesis, the doctor) and made it look like they stuck to a rough cut of the film rather than a fine cut.

Also as someone else pointed out, if it didn't win the first time, very unrealistic of it to win later and since the CGI wasn't greatly improved(still excellent CGI), we just got more of the same as the first film and it would be like acknowledging it for the same accomplishment it made as the first film.

10. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Yup.

This year it was totally outclassed and thusly did not deserve to win.

11. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Quoted for truth. I can still remember watching the award go to Golden Compass and being like "WTF."

12. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    Yeah, f*** those talking polar bears :mad 

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I agree that this year's TF movie had no chance and frankly their were better choices.

I also echo the statements that the 2007 losing to Golden Compass was stupid.

14. IFallDownGoBoom

IFallDownGoBoom Infracted

Winning an Oscar is like finding the prize at the bottom of a box of Cracker Jacks.
    And TF winning an award isn't going to help or hurt its next box office take. We the fans will see to that.

15. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

THIS. It was snubbed.

Pfffffft. The shots at the end with Neytiri cradling the tiny frame of Jake looked stunning. And once again I am forced to point out the almost insurmountable level of difficulty in animating realistic human characters (and whatever the minor physical differences the Na'vi are recognisably human) compared to machines or fantasy creatures. We look at real people everyday - so we see every sodding flaw in 'fake' versions.

Not to mention that Avatar took motion capture to a new level of brilliance in putting an actors whole performace - with every facial nuance - right on the screen.

16. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    This wasn't the case with Spiderman 2 or PotC 2. It's a pretty common practice, it would seem, for the Academy to "snub" a successful, effects-heavy, summer blockbuster guaranteed to get sequels with equal or better quality special effects. Not saying that TF3 is any more guaranteed (or any less, particularly) to get the award than either of its predecessors, but just because the earlier films didn't get awards for their VFX doesn't make it impossible for the third film to do so.

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

A few things to consider.

Only one film can win the award but that doesn't mean that the films that did not win are crap. District 9 did not win this year but that takes nothing away from all the things the effects team pulled off. Or consider this in 1941 Citizen Kane and The Maltese Falcon were both up for Best Picture but lost to How Green Was My Valley, thus Oscar losers are hardly crap.

The people who vote on these films are Hollywood insiders and thus they are more likely to hold out an award until the third film. The Fellowship of the Ring only wins 4 of the 13 Oscars it was up for. The Two Towers only wins 2 of 6 Oscars it was up for. The Return of the King takes all 11 it was up for including the Best Picture at last.

Lots of new this year which is more likely to get a nod than more of the same. While Revenge of the Fallen managed to bring bigger to the screen there wasn't that much new that they brought to the game. So the spots went toward newer ideas.

In the rush to get Revenge of the Fallen out on the release date they wanted some of the effects just didn't look as crisp and as finished as other parts of the film. I think that could have really hurt their chances compared to films that had a more consistent look.

Last there is nothing at all to keep them from having a shot at the effects awards for part 3. We will just have to wait to see which films it's going up against and if it's got better effects and if no part 4 is green lit then maybe the third time will be the time that brings home the award.

18. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Well, I enjoyed ROTF. Of course, many elements were crap, but I enjoyed it.

I know we deserve no award, but... it still hurts. :( 

19. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    All the transformers movies do deserve a award.... Transformers The Movie, Transformers, and Transformers ROTF..... But I guess giant fucken robots and valuable lessons don't matter when it comes to the Oscars.

20. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to have to say that at the time of its release, and for quite a while afterwards, Transformers 1 had the hands down best visual effects work of all time. Now more and more movies show TF1 level capability on a more regular basis. I'm not saying ROTF had better VFX than Avatar. But now more films do what TF1 did somewhat uniquely three years ago, provide really, really eye-popping visuals. I really think, with how much VFX and CGI have advanced even in the last five years, the category should expand to five nominees, as I think more are deserving now.