Versions of Gaogaigar

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by megatroptimus, Oct 26, 2006.

1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Could u guys give a checklist of all the transforming Gaogaigar out there? I'm all confused and I wanna get the most fun one (and a perfect transform if possible).

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Friend of mine raves over the new GaoFighGar they released, full sized version with diecast parts and such. Apparently it's an accurate transform, too. But that's the super high end line, he's big on those. The run of the mill DX GaoGaiGar is more of a toy but he doesn't know how good it is.

3. thor20

thor20 Omnibot

Takara did two versions of Gaogaigar. I'm not sure if they did a Gaofighgar.

Studio Halfeye did a preassembled resin kit that is the best out there but it's $500 but it hand assembled and is very heavy duty and the joint can be retightened.

CM's Corporation is probable the best deal. Fully transformable and looks to be based on Studio Halfeye's kit, I could be wrong.

Kotobuyuto Also does a resin cast kit for the really experienced model builder which I'm guessing you aren't interested in doing but worth noting.

Most of them are on HLJ at

http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?MacroType=All&SeriesID=580&Dis=-2&GenreCode=Sci

4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm, I can only help up the basics as my knowlege of Braves aren't so good:

Takara has only released 2 types of GGG in both Japan and Korea and both versions are the "original" GaoGaiGar.

i) "Standard" which I'm not mistaken does not transform.
    ii) "Deluxe" which is bigger, does transform and merges wth Goldy (the Hammer bot)

CMS on the other hand has released 4 types of GGG with the latest version on its way. They are:

i) Original GGG
    ii) GaoFighGar (latest release)
    iii) Star GaoGaiGar that comes with Goldy
    iv) Genesic GGG

The most awesome of them is the Genesic but there are batches of them that are plauged by QC problems.

Below is a picture of "Star" and is considered one the rarest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comparing both brands (Takara and CMS) - CMS beats Takara's with regards to sculpt and variety but if you're talking about durability...Takara wins.

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

The Takara GGG is a real "toy". Big and tough and simplified, and with sort of dopey proportions. I really wanted a nice GGG transformer, but this one was just a bit too primitive for me.

I ended up with the CM's first "regular" GaoGaiGar... I like it a lot, but at the same time it's really a step removed from say, a similar-sized Soul of Chogokin robot. Compared to my SoC Dancougar (soooo sexy!), the construction is much flimsier, the paint apps are minimal, fine detail simpler, and with a lot less die cast. Still pretty sweet though... nice articulation, decent styling in all modes... a lot of accessories for replicating classic GGG poses

The ugly truth is that the only die-cast metal in that figure is Galeon's torso and his upper legs. Everything else is plastic. The Drill Gao/lower legs are plastic only, and despite nice touches like articulated treads on the drill tanks, they are very hollow and lightweight and don't support the rest of the figure nearly well enough. If you end up with one of these, I recommend you are VERY careful where you display it, since his ankle joints are soft, and he could easily tumble from a shelf and destroy himself. I actually have large screws wedged into the ankle joints on mine to make sure they don't give out Also, the amount of chromed plastic means a lot of brittle bits. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't make his helmet crest, lion-head, and Dividing Driver out of sterner stuff.

If you want a cartoon accurate GGG that does a full transform, it's still the way to go, but for the price, I kind of expected a little bit more. I got a decent deal on mine for around $150 shipped.

There is a colour variant of this figure... the "Real Color Version" which goes for drabber, more "realistic" colours. I actually prefer this one because the faint steely grey of Galeon shows the detail better than the stark white on the regular version I have.

The Star GaoGaiGar is the same figure, but with upgrade parts. If you want complete GGG goodness, and the sweet Goldymarg/Goldion Hammer, get that (if you can find it).

I've heard good things about the CM's Genesic GGG, but it's my least favourite GGG version... too busy. However, the remolded Galeon with that set is nicer than the original IMHO.

Studio Half-Eye makes primo stuff... but you pay for it.

As an aside, I also have the Yujin GaoFighGar large figure. He does a sort of partial transformation/combination, but there are a lot of parts that need to be swapped in. THe articulation is about medium, and he's a bit hollow, but he displays well in certain poses, has good proportions, and is monstrously large (about 13 inches maybe?). Not a bad option if you can find one for a good price. Not a spot on the CM's version though.

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In your original post, you stated "the most fun one", which for me is undoubtedly the original Takara version. It's the only one I have, but from what I've heard, it's the only one meant for regular use. For the price, it's certainly the right one! You do sacrifice a little coolness in the overall look of the figure when compared to the CM's and SHE versions.

Don't forget to stop by the ongoing Brave thread for more pics, many of various GGG's.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=98174
    /plug for coolest thread ever

7. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, SMOG and ams raised very good points. The only thing I have against the CMS version is that its kinda flimsy and if you're looking for fun then its the Takara version for you. I have both the CMS and Takara toys...and I prefer the latter (Takara), while the former is in storage.

8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    But I thought that for the CM ones you needed to add the fists because they were not part of the transformation? Is the Takara one a perfect transform? Also, I'm totally confused with Brave DX vs Yuusha vs Yujin. Who's who?

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the takara one is close to a perfect transformation. it's not that posable though.

One odd thing that I really like about the Takara one compared to the others, because of the silver paint, you can actually see the detail on the mouthplate, which is one of GaoGaiGar's most famous details. CM's mouthplates are all white, and so its hard to see the detail there. they could have used some panel-lining there.

if you get Takara's DX GaoGaiGar (avoid the standard one like the plague), be careful with the stickers on the side of LinerGao, they can be scraped up during transformation.

10. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sol Fury needs to swoop in here and give the details, but I know some of these...

Yuusha is basically the Japanese word for "Brave" - you'll hear them used interchangably by some folks.

Brave DX (deluxe) and STD (standard) are the two sizes of Brave figures produced by Takara, and the ones most people collect. DX's have been made for nearly every major Brave character, and I think most would agree they are FAR superior to the STDs. For me, everything else is unofficial - not really true of course, just my particular collecting preference. Brave = Takara as far as I'm concerned.

I have no idea what Yujin means. :lol 

11. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    If you mean "perfect transformation" by no removal or adding of parts, then yes the Takara version is the one for you.

The standard one (to avoid) that Valkysas is referring to is found in this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRANSFORMERS-LOT-BRAVE-YUUSHA-STD-GaoGaiGar-Final-G17_W0QQitemZ260045794141QQihZ016QQcategoryZ753QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

While the deluxe one is in this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRANSFORMERS-5-LOT-BRAVE-DX-MICROMAN-Braves-GaoGaiGar_W0QQitemZ260045845672QQihZ016QQcategoryZ753QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Normally I would pose comparison pictures of toys for fellow posters but unfortunately my CMS GGG is in "serious" storage and I would need to use a ladder etc.

And as good luckily as the CMS version is, I'm frankly disappointed in him because I find him flimsy.

Below are pictures of my Deluxe GGG with Goldy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frankly speaking its what you're looking for in the toy - durability and fun or looks. Oh yeah, I want to add...that I'm NOT the seller or RELATED to the seller in anyway! LOL!

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    You rang?

Fists are a yes-and-no thing. You can store the closed fists in the transformed modes, although the covers that attach to the forearm sections represent a detail not seen in the animation versions.

Takara's is spot on to the animation, or rather the animation is spot on to it. Sunrise stylised it a bit to make it work on the show, but if you've watched the stock transformation sequence enough, then you can use that as instructions to transform Takara's one. The CMs ones in my experience work broadly the same way but can be a little trickier since they go for more detail and faithful to the anime robot modes.

DX are the larger, more impressive versions of the toys, while the STD ones are smaller and less impressive. Think regular Transformers to the Transformer Jrs, it's roughly the same as that. DX are the ones to go for all the way.
    Yuusha, by the way, is the Japanese word meaning Brave that is used in the titles of the shows. Yuusha Exkaiser, Taiyo no Yuusha Fighbird, Densetsu no Yuusha Da Garn, Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine, etc, etc.

Yujin is one of the many companies to make a toy of GaoGaiGar, or more specifically, GaoFighGar. They made two, the one that needs a lot of part swapping, and a resin kit version that was more accurate to the transformation.

As far as versions of GGG go, there's been quite a few.

[] STD Gaigar w/ Stealth Gao
    [] STD Gaogaigar
    [] DX Gaogaigar
    [] DX Gaogaigar Lucky Draw version
    [] DX Gaogaigar w/ Goldion Hammer (2000 reissue)

Those are the Takara ones that I know of.

GGG figures by Yujin (?)

[] "Dividing Driver"
    [] "Goldion Hammer"
    [] Star Gaogaigar
    [] Gaofighgar
    [] Genesic Gaogaigar
    [] Genetic Gaogaigar
    [] "Battle in the Storm" Gaofighgar & Gaogaigar giftset (from GGG Final episode 2)

(the latter two are both Genesic, one is with the wings closed, the other open. The series also included several other Braves like Great Exkaiser, Great Fighbird, and Great Baan Gaan).

Max Factory Die Cast figures (non transforming)

[] Gaogaigar
    [] Gaofighgar
    [] Genesic Gaogaigar

CMs Brave Gohkin series

[] Gaogaigar
    [] Star Gaogaigar
    [] Genesic Gaogaigar
    [] Gaofighgar
    [] Dimension Pliers
    [] Gaogaigo (upcoming)

(Star Gaogaigar was a giftset of Gaogaigar with an upgrade set which was also available separately)

CMs PVC figures

[] Grand Glorious Gathering DVD box exclusives - Gaogaigar, Gaofighgar, Genesic Gaogaigar
    [] Gaogaigo

The rest

[] Yujin Transformable Gaofighgar
    [] "Golden God of Destruction" DVD exclusive Gaofighgar

and many, many more that I can't remember right now. Lots of garage kits, Kabaya and Candy Toys, that kind of thing. I think I've covered all the major releases.

For the best GGG, though, CMs are spot on to their animated incarnations as far as humanly possible, while Takara's DX is the most durable and playable of the bunch. Some of the others are also very interesting, the DVD box PVCs are very nice looking.

13. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Thanks guys, I'll get the Takara one for a start!

EDIT : Ok, I just did a BIN on the one selling for $50 from Liqdeal. There was the full set with the hammer for sale, but it was a whopping $130 + $60 of shipping to Canada! Yikes. Is it possible to get the hammer separately?

14. Sol Fury

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, Goldymarg is sold separately. He's a toy in his own right who combines with GGG to form the Marg Hand and Goldion Hammer.

15. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    And do you know where's a good place to find one, I've never seen one sold by itself on Ebay.

16. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh, yeah, Goldymarg comes up with some regularity. There was a seller (gen1autobot) who was blowing out Goldymargs for like $20 a few months back. Haven't seen much from that seller lately, though.

Got my Fire J Decker boxset from him:
    [​IMG]

17. Sol Fury

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, Gen1Autobot was a great seller. Got my Fire J Decker from him too, along with my Shadow Maru, God Raijin-oh, King J-Der and a couple of others. He had the best prices on Braves overall, I think. Those $20 Goldymargs are an ideal price for the guy. He does pop up, though, so be patient and you'll get one.

18. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Takara's GaoGaiGar is AWESOME.

Why?

Not only is the transformation more or less show-accurate, but you can quite literally combine GaiGar and the GaoMachines IN TIME WITH THE CARTOON.

I dunno, I just found that effing cool. :D