Verizon Dropping Funimation Channel

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Solrac333, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Man! It's one of the few channels I love watching. Pisses me off.

"Dear Customer,

On, or after, March 15 2012, Funimation (channel 262) and Bridges TV (channel 278) will be removed from the FiOS TVĀ® lineup and you will no longer be able to view this content.

This programming has been discontinued due to very low viewership and the continued effort of Verizon to offer our customers the most popular channels while keeping our rates reasonable.

We appreciate your loyalty to Verizon FiOS TV and apologize for any inconvenience.

Remember that you can access the most current local TV line-up 24 hours a day/7 days a week at verizon.com/fiostvchannels.

Thank you for choosing Verizon.

Sincerely,

Verizon"

Petition Stop FIOS from dropping Funimation Channel

2. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    And let the crying start.... =(

3. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can you really blame them? If it was due to low viewership, why carry it? Blame anime fans for not watching it.

4. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

I don't watch much anime anyway. Most of their dubs suck.

5. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

I don't have that provider, but it's still lame that they're getting rid of it. If only more people had tuned into that channel.

6. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I say good. Funimation hasn't exactly done the best job when it comes to restoring the original Dragonball Z films. Then they throw out the old Dragonball Z for Kai, which has a worse voice cast than the original Dragonball Z. Also, they buy up bad anime and try to sell them for high prices.

7. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

Considering how most anime fans stream online these days, I'm not surprised.

8. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

And yet,, who are these people watching QVC all day long?!?

Also, as someone who works odd hours, I hate how about 75% of my cable chanels go to infomercials for 8 hours a day!

You think maybe I'd LIKE to see a race at 3am on Speed? Engineering disasters on Discovery? Or maybe recap E3 coverage on G4?

NO!

It's 37 chanels of Valerie Burtonelli telling us Cindy Crawford looks good at 50!

Herp

Derp!

9. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    1. They have not thrown anything out regarding the original Z. Look at the Blu-Rays and the possibility of more Dragon Boxes.

2. Worse voice cast? Oh you got to be kidding me.

Let me guess. You have a problem with the new voices for Gohan, Frieza, Bulma and the Ginyu Force? The Ginyu Force I can understand but the rest? Do elaborate.

And aside from the better acting, filler removed that wasn't present in the manga and actually being a faithful dub for once, what's so bad about Kai?

As for this verizon stuff i they actually extended their services internationally they would probably have more views from Anime fans around the world. I know I'd watch it everyday.

10. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Dragonball Kai sucks ass.

Every time I get tricked into watch that stuff, I can't help but wanna make like Frieza & kill everyone in sight, including myself for not longer being voiced by Pauline Newstone.

11. Inikalord

Ebay:
    Pauline and Linda were terrible as Frieza. Both give of the impression of enraged Grandma's and not the aristocratic tyrant that Frieza actually is.

I bet you haven't even sat down and watched the entirety Kai to give an actual educated opinion.

12. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Why would I do that when I can just as easily say that I hate something (on the internet no less) based on the entirety of it being different & condensed from the original?

13. Inikalord

Ebay:
    So just because it's different, your going to hate it without explanation or reason?

14. Keroshino

Keroshino Lovable Clod!

News Credits:
    there are other reasons?

15. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    For the sake of the argument, sure.

Seriously though, I've never been a fan of taking something that was already great & then cutting out everything that's not part of the climax or changing voice actors without reason. Like, I get that it's more TV friendly or whatever (same reason why you have radio versions that cut out half of the song), but for something as old as DBZ, I just didn't get it. For the voices, I could understand if they changed someone who'd been voiced by like 5 different people or if it sounded too much like another character, but Frieza & Jeice were fine as they were, and their original US actors had such a unique flavor that was passed onto their on screen characters.

I liked the new Captain Ginyu, though. If he was the same guy, then I guess I just liked him in general.

16. Inikalord

Ebay:
    The thing about Kai though is that it was a chance for a complete revival of the series, a "second coming" if you will. It was to celebrate Dragon Ball's 20th anniversary.

Taking out the filler was a good choice. Really, try watching the Frieza Saga in Z compared to Kai. Good god the pacing in Z is terrible.

Plus, this also gave Funimation a chance at making up for past sins at what they had done preciously with the franchise.

The new English dub is absolutely amazing. The acting and delivery of everyone's lines just sounds so much more natural compared to when they worked on Z originally when they had no experience on voice acting but now with Kai they've had 10+ years to settle into their characters and it really shows.

I will admit, some of the recasts I don't like, even after sitting through the entirety of Kai. Like the Ginyu Force, who I think had perfectly fine voices before Kai, cept for Burter since he tended to sound a bit too much like Vegeta at times. However, it doesn't bother me as much as it does anymore.

Gohan was a welcome change. I admit, I was sad to hear his original voice actress wouldn;t be coming back. Hell, the first episode of Kai I absolutely disliked his new voice but after some time away and deciding not to criticize based solely on the first episode, I gave it another shot. I warmed up to his new voice and found myself actually liking it more than the previous voice. So much more age appropriate sounding for the wimp that Gohan is and it actually changes as Gohan ages, something I found to be giving more respect to Funimation in regard for.

Same can be pretty much said for Frieza when I heard his new voice but I warmed into this one much quicker than Gohan. THIS is the voice we should have had all along! It's fits perfectly with Frieza's pompous, aristocratic nature with just a hint of androgyny from his previous roles.

And after giving Bulma some time to get adjusted to, I actually like her new voice compared to her last. She now sounds like an intelligent and respectable woman.

For the most part, almost all of the previous actors roles in Z stayed for Kai and their acting + delivery has improved drastically.

People who's roles weren't replaced

Goku, Chi-Chi, Ox King, Master Roshi, Krillin, Yamcha, Tien, Raditz, Vegeta, Nappa, Recoome, Trunks, Gero, Android 16, Android 17, Cell, Mr Satan (Real name is Mark, not Hercule), Fortuneteller Baba, Kami, King Kai, Korin, King Yemma and Yajirobe.

Everyone else you can expect to gave gotten a recast. Some for the better, some not so much.

For Frieza being recast, apparently Linda Young was replaced because she couldn't keep up with the new script to match the mouth flaps. For Gohan there are conflicting stories from Stephanie Nadolny refusing to change the voice, to her refusing or not wanting to come back and to her not actually being asked to come back by Funimation. None of these are confirmed however so it's still up for speculation. Bulma I have no idea.

I know that Chris Sabat wanted to drop most of his roles so he could let others have a go at them though I would have preferred he kept his Jeice instead of his Recoome. In Kai his roles have dropped down to Vegeta, Piccolo, Yamcha, Kami and Recoome.

I'm tired, so this is all I really feel like typing out for tonight but if you have any questions regarding Kai, you can ask away.

17. StarYoshi14

StarYoshi14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Watched the final episode of the DBZ Cell saga when Toonami was on during April Fool's. If you honestly think the acting was better and the constant -nothing- happening is good pacing, you are quite literally brain dead. Kai is so much better. The actors themselves admit they didn't learn how to properly act until the Buu saga.

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I guess their viewership wasn't... over 9000...

19. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Hah guess not.

In either case, I guess this way we have both Kai & the original, so with that I think it's safe to say that we have more than we'd have with just one of them being around.

20. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    It was, Verizon just thinks shopping channels are more important...