Verity and Jimmy ARE ALL DEAD I take it.

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by TerraDestroyer, Apr 7, 2009.

1. TerraDestroyer

TerraDestroyer "Sometimes crazy works."

News Credits:
    (Beware ye of SPOILERS)

We had it.

For years, one of the major factors of Transformers that rubbed fans an EXTRA dash of "wrong way" was the lack of competently written/justified human characters. The Unicron Trilogy kids, Kiss Players, even the Proto-Humans of Beast Wars; they're all teeth-grindingly terrible attempts at adding humans to the Transformers lore. And let's not kid ourselves; Sari was barreling straight for that until Transwarped.
    But there was a ray of light. Verity, Jimmy and Hunter from IDW-verse.

We had it. And then we lost it.

Hunter is still around...sorta'. According to Maximum Dinobots and All Hail Megatron, he's still a Headmaster...sorta'. And then he was captured by Decepticons and abandoned by Sunstreaker...sorta'. Basically he's out of the picture, unless he becomes a Masterforce user or something.

And Verity and Jimmy are dead. Or just gone. Or brain damaged. Or gone. Or written out of existence because SOME Transfans can't stand the idea of humans even being PART of the franchise unless they're shooting at/running from Decepticons.

Will we ever find out what happened to them? Probably not, despite how freaking INTERESTING Verity's story was genuinely becoming, but because she's not OMG GIANT ROBOT ANGST, her pitiful human angst has no place, legitimate or not.

Maybe I missed something. Maybe Furman and tha' boyz at IDW have something planned, or maybe not. I just felt like the subject warranted addressing.

2. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

You're not the only one who misses them. I think what happened with the -tions sucks... would have been cooler to see how things there progressed rather than what's happening now.

3. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but hasn't Simon Furman stated that Verity and Jimmy's fate will be revealed towards the end of Maximum Dinobots? I'm about 90% sure I read this somewhere, but I've been out of the loop comic-wise for a while.

4. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Well, if it's going to be revealed in Maximum Dinobots it's probably only oing to get a panel or two. Only one issure left and there's a ton to wrap up as is.

The editorial decisions made by IDW are driving me up the wall. The -ations get pretty much screwed over so Furman has to rush through things and drop a lot of interesting side stories (Jimmy & Verity) just to get some semblance of a resolution... and he's done afairly good job all things considering. On the other hand, all that's happened in AHM to this point could probably be comfortably be condensed down to what? 4, maybe 5 issues without losing much? Yet it's already at issue 10, PLUS AHM Coda's been announced to wrap up its loose ends...

5. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only thing worse than those dull characters was Thunderwing's constant return (OMG HE'S BACK AND EVEN MORE INDESTRUCTIBLE THAN EVER BEFORE).

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I'm gonna be that guy and say "F IDW!".

7. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    we should right down a list, all i've got so far is Fuck Activision & fuck IDW, yet i'm guessing i'm missing a lot :D 

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    After everything that we went through with IDW's continuity we got treated to one panel of "Oh noes! Verity and Jimmy are dead! Or maybe I can do something" and then a whopping three panel fight between Optimus and Nova.

Verity and Jimmy are not so much as a foot note, but in AHM we have gotten 5 issues of the Autobots whining about how bad everything is and they should give up -cuz, you know, Prime is offline.

9. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Fuck Sony
    Fuck Apple
    Fuck Nintendo
    Fuck Microsoft
    Fuck Bungie
    Fuck Go-Bots
    Fuck Marvel
    Fuck Hasbro
    Fuck DC

I think there are more...

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I seem to remember "F* Mega Man 9" lurking about somewhere.

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Definitely one to add to the list, sir.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'm gonna join you in that.

13. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    It's becoming alarmingly apparent that IDW has gone the way of "sales" versus "story". My assumption is sales on the "ation" books started to drop, so what do you do? Bring in new blood, drop the entire storyline that's going on, and throw everyone a curveball.

And the result has been pretty lackluster from the opinions and reviews I see posted here.

When is their license up again?

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    And haven't sales of all comics been down overall because of the economy?

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I miss the "-ation" books. Don't get me wrong, AHM is okay, minus the crappy human story. (it feels more like it's taking away then adding to the story) But I agree that I found the established story much more entertaining.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Not soon enough.

17. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Its not like Dreamwave did any better, and I'll probably get flamed for it but having gone back and read the G1 stuff a good bit of it was worse then what we're getting now. Some good arcs, but really I think they need to find someone other then Furman to try their hands at doing a major TF comic storyline.

18. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Same time as FP's convention/club license?

bold.

19. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Verity and Hunter's story thread would have been address in the original 6-issue take on Revelation. However, IDW decided that sales of his comics weren't good enough, so they put an alternate universe comic written by Shane McCarthy into continuity, and gave Furman a couple of months to wrap up his entire storyline in 4 issues of the new, truncated Revelation.

Up to early February Furman evidently did not know things were going on behind his back, because he posted Hail and Farewell, a Mosaic showing his future ideas for his storyline. Soon afterwards, IDW commented that H&F was *not* in continuity. Furman didn't know IDW had canned his story.

Frankly, to me that says IDW have little confidence in their publications and respect for their writers and will drop them at the first sign of trouble.

According to the Diamond shipping figures, AHM doesn't do much better than whatever Furman was doing in the same time period.

Maximum Dinobots is doing pretty badly in terms of sales, but then again, I put forward that part of the reason is that the outcome has already been decided. AHM says that the Autobots will lose on Earth. So even if you're rooting for Hot Rod, Sunstreaker and the Dinobots to triumph over Scorponok and his Machination Clones, you already know the Dinobots will mysteriously disappear, the Autobots will lose and Sunstreaker will want all the humans dead for no apparent reason.

Erm, this thread is about how Furman's storyline is largely unresolved with hanging threads like the fate of Verity and Jimmy, because IDW cancelled his story so another writer (Shane McCarthy) could try his hand at the main G1 storyline.

20. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    There's different sides to the same coin.

While we're all roll-eyes about the fact IDW cancelled Furman's book to give it to McCarthy to bore everyone to tears for 12 months, Furman's stories were never meant to be resolved in 12 issues. In fact, everytime he'd finish up a storyline, he'd open up 6 more. Furman's writing always left doors open ... and not little doors, BIG FREAKIN' DOORS ... and so it's impossible for a new writer to transition what Furman was doing in to their own story.

That's the one thing I hated about Furman's writing. If the "main plot" was a big fat straight line, Furman's books zig-zagged around it.