Venom

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Shokaract, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Shokaract

Shokaract Banned

I used to be a huge Venom fan back in the day, had all of the miniseries and most of his other comic apearances. I stopped reading after the marvel knights "venemous" storyline, those of you who read it can probably guess why. With the new movie coming out, and some cool toys to boot, I'm starting to get hyped on venom again, but I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on the current books? I heard that the Scorpion has the symbiote now?! also, is there a site out there that compiles all the appearances of characters, like guest appearances in other titles and such, I'm curious to see how complete my collection is

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I really can't tell you. Venom became "pussified" right before Carnage first appeared. He's been a lame lame lame character ever since :( 

3. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

How was Venom "pussified" before Carnage showed up? The story before Carnage was where he was the most brutal.

And I'm just beyond pissed about what Jenkins and Co have done with both Brock and the symbiote. Completely changed both of them.

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

The last great Venom appearance/story, was when Spidey left him on that island, when he thought Pete was dead. Then Carnage showed up, and Brock/Venom started changing into this "wussie anti-hero".

5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Brock auctioned off the symbiote, Scropion won it and now we got a ugly-ass looking Venom <- and to why he still has it, i don't know why.

you could also try wikipedia :D 

6. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I don't like the idea of the Scorpion having the Venom symbiote either....

...it would be interesting if Spidey reuinted with the Venom symbiote at some point, wouldn't it?

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I dunno man, that story leading up to the Venom changeover in Marvel Knights Spider-Man is one of my favourite Spider-Man stories of all time. The letter at the end from Osborn was just fucking magical.

As for Venom, another fucked up McFarlane leftover that couldn't really catch a break writer wise. Who'da thought it eh?

8. Shokaract

Shokaract Banned

yeah, i never liked that he got tossed around by so many writers. continuity got sooooooo messed up. with carnage too. one minute he's encased in silver dooky by the silver surfer, next we see him hes in prison, no more cancer (?), the negative zone symbiote that looks just like his, then back in prison and ripped in half by sentry, shit just jumps around too much with no explanation. and brocks personality took such a rapid change in the recent books

9. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

10. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Ah, okay. When you said "before," I thought you meant that the Island story was where he started to become a "pussy."

11. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I agree..though, that was probably the first Venom story I've read since ASM #375. I vaguely recall that first Scarlet Spider arc (in whichever two books were devoted to him) where he took down Venom or somesuch. That's right about when I jumped ship. I'm generally with Devz though that the whole Lethal Protector/anti-hero Venom junk was a complete waste of a good villain.

12. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm of the opinion that the current state of things (Scorpion-Venom, Eddie in a coma) is kind of to the better of both characters...lets Gargan actually do something, and sets both of them up for a reset at some point.

13. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Venom will be appearing in Thunderbolts starting in January. He is listed as "Lethal Protector," so I presume that Brock will be taking the symbiote back from Gargan soon.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I imagine Eddie will get the symbiote back soon. If they're going to have Brock-Venom in the movie next summer, Marvel's going to want Brock-Venom in the comics to go along with it.

I like Venom as a concept, but the character hasn't really been used effectively since Amazing Spider-Man #363 (end of the first Carnage arc). Although there were some hints of a more noble side to Venom before the Carnage arc, he got caught up in the 90s "anyone who gets popular needs their own book, but villains can't star in their own title so make them an anti-hero" craze and then plunged into the depths of crap. Granted, some of the mini-series were good ("The Madness" stands out for me), but most were pretty forgettable. Didn't help that the multitude of writers completely screwed up the character's continuity something fierce; I can't even count the number of times Brock "permanently" bonded with the symbiote only to lose/transfer it somehow in the next miniseries.

Not to mention the confusion as to whether Carnage even had a symbiote. With "Maximum Carnage", and a couple of stories thereafter, Kasady's blood was mutated to become a 'copy' of the symbiote...but that seemed to be forgotten (around the time of the first Carnage special, IIRC) and he had an actual symbiote again.

Still, at least Venom and Carnage have done better than Hybrid and Scream, who just disappeared into comic book limbo.

15. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

ugh, Hybrid. you had to bring up that name. I hated that story.

I liked the idea of the other symbiotes and their specific powers and I even enjoyed "Separation Anxiety" but that should have been the end of them.

16. JD

JD Well-Known Member

I can't wait til Vemon ditches the Scorpian. If anyones' read 'Beyond' you'll realise that Scorpian-Venom is a little crybaby, clown-b*tch

17. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Seems like it is Brock:
    [​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

no more ugly Venom, now we gotta do something about Spider-Man.

18. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Where are those pics from? The new issue of Civil War or Thunderbolts or something else?

19. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Thunderbolts I'd assume, assume looing by the way

20. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Yep, that's the new T-Bolts by Ellis