Vehicle Modes

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OOSnake, Sep 24, 2012.

1. OOSnake

OOSnake Well-Known Member

How do you like your vehicle modes? Discreet or otherwise? Since I can't remember the word, I'm going with otherwise. I've always liked the idea that they're 'In Disguise' which is why I've never been particularly fond of vehicle modes that are military or stand out, I like the normal vehicles, like motorbikes and stuff. Screw Warpath and his fashionable red Tank mode!

What about you? Basically, Civilian vehicles, or Military Machines?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    For some characters, it makes sense for them to "play by the rules" and go with earth-modes that blend in, at least as well as sports cars and police vehicles can. For other characters, it's perfectly within the bounds of their personalities for them to just say "fuck stealth" and go with a balls-to-the-wall cybertronian death machine alt-mode.

3. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like sports cars.

4. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    Depends on the character. Warpath shouldnt be a sports car or anything else besides a military vehicle. Bumblebee (proper) should be a small car. And really, the concept of robots in disguise, means you can't tell that they are really robots. Sure a tank parked in subberbs is a sore toe, but you wouldnt think it was a robot. Right?

5. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

Generally, I like blending in vehicles. Not just flashy sports cars, muscle cars, motorcycles etc. like recently but also more utilitarian vehicles like steamrollers, taxis, and garbage trucks. Things that people really don't give a second look at.

That being said military figures do have their place; it's just not in stealth. They are only called in when subtlety is no longer a factor.

6. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would like to see more Vehicle Modes types like Tracks.

7. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I like a mix of everything though I'd like the alts to be distinctive, like (this is all Movieverse, mind you) Dirtboss's forklift, Payload's armored bank truck, Bonecrusher's mine protected vehicle, and Springer's V-22.

8. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

I'd like to see more vehicle modes where the alt-mode has nothing to do with their function. Why is the tow-truck always a repair guy, and the ambulance just happens to be the team medic, ya know? Why can't there be a robot out there that sees ambulances flash their lights and sirens to bypass stoplights, and decide on that alt-mode even tho his primary function is espionage? I think an ambulance parked outside of a building is more inconspicuous than a blacked-out super spy-car.

9. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I absolutely LOATH vehicles which have additional details - NOT counting technically unavoidable kibble - which are clearly designed to deviate from the reallife vehicle.

10. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I think it really depends on several things: the context of the series, the specific character, their role, etc..

11. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

:thumbs2: You know; that's actually a really good point that I completely missed. Similiarly, if you're a medic, maybe you should choose a tow truck instead of an ambulence because your patients are car sized; not humans. That said, I do like that in general, alt mode helps convey personality. Some flashy characters shop for their vehicle, others pick whatever they see first that fits and still others do as you said and pick the thing with the most advantages.

12. The Swordsman

The Swordsman The REAL hero of Hyrule

News Credits:
    I like a good, healthy balance of vehicle modes, both ground and air, and I also don't think that the Autobots should be all sports cars and the Decepticons all military or Cybertronian stuff. Throwing in a couple of things that aren't vehicles (I like Signal Lancer the traffic light Autobot and his pay-phone friend from TF: Cybertron) is always cool too.

13. Driftveil

Driftveil You find me offensive

I love the military guys.

So big an angry, as long as they looks proper where they are.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I like them interesting.

Discreet or not I don't want to look at a boring-ass fourdoor with a beige paint job when I'm watching my robot escapism. Give me tuned muscle cars, heavy-duty trucks and construction vehicles cruising down small-town suburbia.

That said even cool cars can be boring if that's all there is. I also like variety among the characters and unique takes and choices of alt mode. I miss animals for this very reason. Cars, no matter how cool, all basically do the same thing, especially when it comes to fights. They roll and crash into stuff. Animals can run, jump, dig, bite, claw, fly and do all kinds of other stuff depending on the critter in question. You only get so much out of seeing a bunch of cars drive away from a bunch of jets. Prime does this a lot since everyone's literally a car or a flying vehicle like a jet. It almost makes me miss the Unicron Trilogy and it's wide variety of contrsuction vehicles and military vehicles and cars and trucks and jets of all shapes and styles.

I like whoever said we should move away from function-specific vehicle modes. Sometimes it works like with guys' like Prowl who's always a stuffed shirt and likes the authority over the roads his vehicle mode gives him, but the idea of a spy who's an ambulance because he realises ambulances can park wherever they want without attracting attention is brilliant. You could do the same with a taxi. Taxis are everywhere. It'd show some real initiative and I wish some writers would realise alternate modes can tell a story just as well as they emulate the character. Ratchet literally has no reason to be an Earth ambulance these days. That's why I loved Animated where the main five were all emergency vehicles. Yeah Ratchet was an ambulance and Prowl wasa police bike but the role of rescue and emergency vehicle modes told the story of the team and how they functioned even though Bumblebee's not cop-like at all and Bulkhead's not even comparable to a SWAT guy.

15. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like them to be realistic. It does not have to be a real car but I like the detailing and taking into consideration of real world functionality or just have a good reason for not having it.

16. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

Yeah, as a kid I always thought Ratchet should have been a tow truck.

As long as the Autobots are cars and trucks, and the Decepticons are tanks, jets and helicopters, I don't have a beef.

17. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

18. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i love tfs in their cybtertions vech modes
    megatron 's cybertion mode was tank

19. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    As a kid I liked animal transofrmers best because they were fun to play with in both modes while I found the vehicle modes to be boring as fuck because the only thing you could do with cars and trucks is to ram them together and that's boring.

I also liked futuristic cars and space ships and stuff because again regular cars and planes are boring.

Now since most of the modern sport cars and military vehicles pretty much look like space-ships I don't mind what ever they turn into.

20. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

I like variation in the vehicle modes, and how that variation reflects on the robot form.

Example being, if there's an Autobot crew composed of just five cars, that would be rather boring, even if the cars were different makes and the robots themselves looked distinct even if they didn't have differences in colour. But if the Autobot crew was composed of a multitude of vehicles, ranging from a van to a truck to a helicopter, it's much more interesting. I just like that variation of alternate mode.

It's also cool to see how the vehicle mode itself could be used to help reflect a character's feelings; whether a helicopter's rotors clack together when nervous or spread out when angry, a car's tires spin faster when excited, a jet's wings/tailfins could sag when sad, all kinds of details.

Pretty nice :)