Vehicle Info

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by racbgar, Sep 4, 2012.

1. racbgar

racbgar Well-Known Member

I have a Dodge stratus and I just found out today that the motor in the driver's seat will go out easily. so if there are any Dodge owners on here and are having a problem with your seat where the back is leaning back to where you can't see or it is very uncomfortable for you and you can't bring it up and keep it up? Check the motor or the wiring. Also a little quick tid bit if you own a Stratus or an Intrepid your bumper will come completely off at any point so you might want to make sure the bolts are on there good and tight. In 2007, I was pulling out of the parking lot at the local college and some guy backed up into my car (he looked one way but not the other way where I was) and when I came out my whole bumper was completely off (not damaged just a small scratch) the guy that backed up into me tried to put my bumper back into my car but it didn't fit (weird I know) so he put it back into my car and followed me home so we could exchange info and see what we could do about my car. (Irony about this was that it was on April 1st and when I called mom to tell her what happened she didn't believe me but when I got home she was like "where is your bumper?" I just pointed to the other person's car and he pulled out my bumper. Dad got home. Didn't know what to make of the fact that my bumper was laying on the ground behind my car.) Anyways the only "pricy" thing that had to be replaced was my license plate light.

So does anyone have any helpful tips for any vehicle owners that might have your type of car? That might have problems now or in the future? If there is already a thread for this I am sorry I didn't see anything like this.

2. PurdueAV2003

PurdueAV2003 Engineer

News Credits:
    They have pills for that. ;) 

Back on topic, for anyone that drives a Pontiac G6 or Chevy Malibu, the mid-2000's model years were built with a faulty intermediate steering shaft. The tines on the shaft on the bottom end tend to wear and they will bind, resulting in a "thud" sound when you are turning the steering wheel at low speeds. The shaft is not in danger of disengaging, so it's just considered a nuisance issue. GM makes an improved shaft which costs around between $400-$800 to have installed, but there is a much cheaper solution.

If you look down behind the pedals on the driver's side, you can find the intermediate shaft. Spray a lithium grease around the base of the shaft. Turn the wheels all the way to one direction, and spray it again. Turn the wheels all the way to the opposite direction, and spray it a third time. Work the wheels back and forth to help work the grease down into the joint. This should alleviate the noise for a few months, but the noise will return once the grease has been worked out, though. All you have to do is relube the intermediate shaft. A can of grease only costs a few bucks and will last you through MANY lubrications. Much cheaper than a new intermediate shaft!