Minor/Repaint: vector

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Bucket Head, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Bucket Head

Bucket Head -*-

here is my second attempt at a repaint. I actually started this one before I started my Decepticon Jumpstarters. I did not spray paint anything, I just painted Thrust a different color, created Vector. Not the best job in the world unfortunately. corners do not take paint well, apparently. kinda irked me, but it is a beginning step. something to learn from when I do more seekers. sadly, the choice of color I picked does not show up very well. perhaps a lighter precoat might help? the camera did not pick up the darg green very well at all, though it did show all the little nooks and crannies that I missed!! Like the jumpstarters, I am awaiting stickers from Reprolabels. when they arrive, I will update.

Attached Files:

2. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

I'm also just starting out, and I have to say this looks like a pretty decent job. One question, did you disassemble him to paint him? That might help a bit with some of the tricky spots. I have two disassembled seekers right now waiting for me to get some wings for them so I can paint it them all at the same time.

And I don't know if it's just my monitor, but the green shows up fine. I like it.

3. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

Not bad. I like the green color you choose. :thumbs2: 

4. luke4

luke4 crocon

thats looks pretty cool! can you take vechile mode pics?

5. Bucket Head

Bucket Head -*-

oh yeah....forgot about is alt mode. I'll get on that. and yes, I did take it apart as far as I could. but I did learn from my Decepticon Jumpstarters that I need to precoat with a spray of some sort methinks. have a bunch more in the works, we'll see how they go.

for you pro folks, how do you mask off those parts you don't want sprayed, like the rubber nose cone and the like?

6. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Good job.

When masking parts off either use tape like masking tape or I've heard of some people using silly putty. There are a ton of threads in the tutorial section that will help with anything and everything regarding customizing

7. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

I just asked about you taking it apart because the one spot I can see read is behind the feet, and that is one spot that's easier to get when he's disassembled.

As for the nose cone, you can actually remove it (or I remove mine) just make sure you don't break it off. The nose cone has a rubber hole in the centre on the bottom, and the plastic peg on the other side is a half-sphere sitting on a little plastic tower. If you picture that, you should understand how it gets slipped on to begin with. Removing it is more difficult, but because it's rubber it will bend rather than breaking (or at least mine did).

I do some twisting and pulling, and can get it off. When I say twisting I mean rotating the nose (like spinning it around) don't use a side to side motion, or you'll break the plastic connector underneath. Do a turning motion. Then again I learned this from working on junkers, so you might want to try it on a junker first if you aren't sure.

It's really not that hard, I just don't want you to try it and then break it and blame me. I swapped out damaged nosecones for good ones on my g1 seekers.