Vaporware in collectible form

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Paladin, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Every now and then an item supposedly intended for future release vanishes before anyone ever has a chance to get it.

What are your personal best/worst examples of toys that are announced but never came out?

I'll nominate:

[​IMG]

Soul of Chogokin Escaflowne. I would've loved to have a toy Guymelef that didn't suck.

2. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I've had the NECA Borderlands Clap Trap on preorder for well over a year, but now that I posted that someone's gonna come along and post something about it coming out next month...

3. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    The one I was most looking forward to was the Stargodz figure of Ra by ReSaurus. Action Figure Digest was doing a series of stories about it from concept all the way through the production cycle and I really liked the figure. But ReSaurus folded right before the figure was to come out :( 

[​IMG]

It was supposed to have big wings on his back as well.

4. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    I nominate the CMs Orguss. I squirted some tears of joy when they showed it back in 2009. Then it was never shown or spoken of again. :( 

[​IMG]

5. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    up until recently the Sunred Figmas were something I'd classify this way, but Vamp (a character from the show) now has Preorders.

As of now the main thing that I'm still waiting for is the Samus figma, which we haven't heard of for months.

Also on the transformers 3rd party front, I really wanted the Nato-bot Animated Optimus Prime axe, but they never released it.

I'm pretty sure there's a number of things I still want that haven't had announcements for a couple of years but I cant think of them right now.

6. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    D-Arts Diablomon/Diaboromon, I'm a huge fan of "Our War Game" and was ready to slap down the cash the moment I saw this(Though personally I prefer Infermon). Unfortunately it seems this is probably something Bandai just made for a show. I have some hope ever since Dukemon/Gallantmon showed up at this year's Tamashii Nations but I'm not holding my breath.

[​IMG]

7. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

I'm still waiting for at least one of these, first shown back in February 2009. They still say they're coming out (along with a Klingon Bird of Prey) but three years is a long time.
    [​IMG]

8. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    These:

[​IMG]

These are meant to be running-change/variants.

The Blowtorch is recolored to match his original 80's artwork where he sports a Jungle Camo and not some crazy bright yellow and red suit (which makes him look like a walking target). CdtWeasel on Hisstank did a custom of it: http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/customs-10/custom-gi-joe-modern-era-concept-art-blowtorch-9641/

The "Python-Patrol" recolored Croc Master is based on an actual custom someone did on Hisstank: http://outofcommissiontoys.com/PPCrocM.html

I don't even know if they will ever hit stores, though Hasbro says they were made. They might be sitting in some warehouse, collecting dust while we wait for them to finally show up at some discount retailer.

9. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

We've been seeing photos of this guy ever since SHF first started, and to this day? nothin.

10. arhra

arhra Well-Known Member

Actually, she was shown again at Winter Comiket, at the end of December. No new details or anything, but the fact that they're showing off the prototype has to count for something.

11. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Really? Thats good to know. Either way, still waiting lol. hope preorders show up sometime soon.

12. Dragonclaw

News Credits:
    This one can be blamed totally on scalpers sadly....In Skeleton Warriors the humans were all the scalpers went for. So the parents had no "good guys" for the kkiddies and the line died before wave 2 and the AWESOME looking Bone Dragon could come out :( 

[​IMG]

Then the one that REALLY hurts as a huge Micronauts fan. Sota at one point had the rights to Micronauts...and had some GREAT sculpts, unfortunately the Mego guy who sold them the rights actually didn't HAVE the rights so Takara put the kabbosh on them. Which was a shame since the line looked really promising...the first wave was Baron Karza, Lobros and Space Glider

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. netkid

News Credits:
    ^I remember those!

I wonder why Sota didn't try to work something out with Takara then. I guess that's pointless now since Hasbro seems to be running anything Micronauts related in the near future.

14. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Doesn't DST/AA take bloody ages to release all their ships? I remember when I was still on the AA forums, the constant delays had become something of an in-joke. It took them like over a year to release the TWOK Enterprise - and that wasn't even a new mold!

15. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

Those micronaut figures look wicked cool!

16. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    [​IMG]

17. Dragonclaw

News Credits:
    I talked with the SOTA guys for quite a while and it seems Takara was so pissed at the Mego guy they weren't willing to listen to anything Micronauts related. Apparently Takara was already mad that they couldn't stop the Palisaides Micronauts right before these were going to come out.

I'm REALLY hoping Hasbro has something amazing in store with Micronauts :)  I've been completing my early Microman collection lately so my nostalgia is at an all time high :D 

18. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    D-Arts Gallant/Dukemon... Where the hell is he...!? ;__;

19. netkid

News Credits:
    Oh, yeeeaah....that would do it. Totally forgot about those reissues. That would piss them off royally.

Hrm. Could they ever sell those sculpt/molds to Takara? Maybe market them under Microman as their classic Microman Characters and not the Micronauts ones?

They're just so detailed sculpt-wise that they would still fit right in with any of the many high-end expensive Japanese action figures being made today. Plus, if they are produced by a company like Takara (or maybe even Kaiyodo), they could definitely get the deserving paintjob treatment that the protos sport. Maybe when Hasbro decides to revive Micronauts for the U.S. they could attempt another go at trying to get these things out there, not as a way to profit off a revival, but as a way to finally make all the work they put into these figures get recognized and appreciated.

20. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    *snicker*

Amazingly they do, occasionally, manage to squirt a few drops out of their narrow urethra.