Heavy/Scratch: Vantage Gunslinger figure

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Ramrider, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

UPDATE: Finished and painted figure can be seen in the follow up thread HERE...

Well, I said I got three figures in with my Shapeways order this morning, and the second one's now cleaned up and test-assembled.

Again, he's 56mm tall with 9 points of articulation.
    Here's the obligatory comparison with Nightstick:

[​IMG]

And just to show off his articulation a bit, here's Vantage... doing... something. I'm not sure if he's trying to dance or fly, to be honest.

[​IMG]

Rear view, to show where all his extraneous bits go in robot mode:

[​IMG]

And here we have Cliffjumper, packing Vantage in his sniper rifle mode. Vantage is 115mm long in this form, and he's got a flip-down bipod near the barrel for a good stable base... so hopefully CJ won't miss this time...

[​IMG]

He fits together far better than his first test-print did (which'll fall apart if you blow on it), in fact aside from a slightly wobbly magazine and needing a couple of sturdier locking pegs, he's pretty much golden.

I'm painting him up in black and gunmetal now, so more pics soon... :D 

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

fantastic. eagerly waiting

3. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Oh...wow...here I was thinking you were just doing traditional G1'y designs, and this is just mind blowing! Great job! I can't believe that altmode!

D/L

4. domshen

domshen Radicon

That is another amazing figure man, cant wait till I can order some from shapeways

5. warriorpriest

warriorpriest Priest of Primus

News Credits:
    WOW!!! Just WOW!!!! Man i want one.

6. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Dude! This is awesome looking! I really loved the design when I first saw it but to see physical pics of him... man. :drool:  You did a really, really great job on this guy. I can't wait to see him painted up. The only thing I can say against him is that he is a little on the chunky side in bot mode. He looks a lot wider and just bigger in general than Nightstick, but that is really not a problem at all considering that the added bulk probably just adds to the overall stability of him and it doesn't make him look bad in any way. It's also most likely the camera adding 10lbs to him too.:wink:  He looks completely in scale with Cliffjumper in gun mode. I think the fact that you managed to get all those gimmicks/details into him (the nice sight, the bipod, the magazine, and the other sculpted details) is the most astounding part to me. I don't get how you guys that make these models do this! Is he going to be up for sale soon?

7. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Absolouteley mind blowing perceptor is gonna be a targetmaster on my shelf lol epic dude epic i am all over the arm scope i just think that is one of the most inivotave designs i have seen in a long while

8. blue death

blue death TokuNation Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Holy hell that is fantastic and by far your best design yet. This seals the deal for me on placing a Shapeways order

9. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

This design is amazing! The transformation looks really complex for the scale. Definitely will have toinvest in these guys.

10. imoff2186

imoff2186 Well-Known Member

cool!

11. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah...my jaw dropped when I scrolled to the picture of the gun mode. This is really awesome!

The transformation looks deceptively simple but once you look at it, it really is quite engaging, especially how the handle and magazine gets into position. Kudos to a job well done.

My only nit is that I wish the hands are mode defined, but please, forgive the picky, old man...

12. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thanks, everyone! :D 

Heh, not by a long shot. ;)  I have a Tommy-gun style weapon in the pipeline, as well as a chaingun. Plus a few more ideas that I'm still trying to figure out...

Nightstick's only about 52mm tall, so all my Gunslingers dwarf him a bit. But while Vantage does look kinda blocky, he's not actually any wider than Dustup or Salvo. I think the look partially comes from the squareness of his chest, and partially from the fact that his head is fractionally smaller than I would usually make it. These points are necessary, though, as the shoulders have to fold up over the head and join together for his gun mode.

Heh, thanks, and you're forgiven. I'd love to have more defined hands too, but in this case there are two main reasons why I couldn't: one is obviously the scale (which is common to my other figures), but the main part is that the ends of the arms here form the ends of the scope, so I had to strike a balance between decent-looking hands and not making the scope look daft. :p 

I plan to have him up for sale, along with Dustup, by the end of the week. I just need to make a few minor tweaks to the model before I can do that.

13. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

WOW man that is AWESOME!!!!! Now can you make one that looks a little more like the gun from the first g1 episode? not that this isn't already perfect.

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thanks. :)  Y'know, I'd actually pondered this before, and came up blank. I was going to say that Cliffjumper's MTMTE gun was pretty much a tube with a trigger and a bipod, and that that wouldn't easily turn into a robot. But if I sort of spliced Vantage's design with the telescopic sight with the bazooka, I might just be able to come up with something that works.
    I'll be taking that to the drawing board... ;) 

15. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Guess what, your plan worked :bowdown: 

And I'm not even gonna say it again, at least not until I see your next one :jawdropper: 

Absolutely incredible, I'm not even that big a fan of 'Masters' in general I only ordered Fansproject Sidearm for the sake of completeness, and Nightstick when he comes was only going to lurk in the background behind Cyclonus, but you my friend can consider each and every one of these you put out bought, and bought again. I'm seriously gonna have an army of Ramrider Targetmasters! :thumb 

16. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    JESUS CROIST!! this is the best TARGET MASTER EVER... this is a new genre TMP (TargetMasterPiece) :D 

Well done!!!

could you perhaps make one that in gun mode resembles the MP Primus and/or Magnus gun
    (for magnus I really meant the upscaled toy version ;) )

17. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    this is really cool

18. caretaker27

caretaker27 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Paint him green and give him to roadbuster. Great looking design, I'm sure you'll get many orders for this one.

19. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Darn it, I just got back from the dentist, and now you're making me drop my jaw! :lol 
    Seriously though, these are all phenomenal. I particularly love the sniper rifle mode on vantage here, you've got real talent there. Seeing this and "Doubletime" on your shapeways page makes me ask the question: would you be able to make more cassetes for, say, Titaniums Soundwave? :D 

20. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thanks, all! :) 

Yay - I've got a convert! :ev: 

I'm not quite sure I follow. Are you suggesting I design one that turns into a scaled replica of MP Prime/Magnus' gun? 'Cause let me tell you now, even if I could (and I probably could pull it off), then it would cost a BOMB to print.

You certainly could. ;) 

Hehe, thanks. Titanium cassettes? To be honest, I doubt it. For one thing, I don't even have the Titanium Soundwave mould to test the cassettes in if I did design them, and for another, isn't Titanium Laserbeak pretty darned tiny? You need to take into account the materials you have to work with; Laserbeak can probably get that small by using metal pins and rivets to transform; I'm designing figures to be printed entirely in plastic, so I can only take joints down so small. I'm having enough trouble articulating Despoiler's legs. :p