Vanquish

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ZeroMayhem, Jan 29, 2010.

1. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Platinum Games have announced their next game and it's called Vanquish!

Okay there really isn't much to go on yet. The "Debut Trailer" was just put up/shown on GTtv:

Vanquish Video Game, Exclusive Debut Trailer HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

Here's what we do know:

-It's coming from Platinum (formerly Clover) Studios. Who's track record thus far as been damn impressive (including such games as Viewtiful Joe, Okami, God Hand, and just this month, Bayonetta).

-It's being directed by Shinji Mikami. The creator of Resident Evil and directors of games that include Resident Evil (obviously), Resident Evil 4, P.N. 03 (who this new dude kinda reminds me of), and most recently God Hand.

That's about it. Still I am intrigued. Normally I have less then zero interest in being some "space marine" type person (this of course does not include Samus Aran who is a bounty hunter ;) ) but this is Platinum. These guys don't tend to do anything in the standard way so whatever they are cooking up I can't wait to learn more.

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The trailer has me intrigued.
    I understand there's no gameplay involved, but it was stylish.

The armor reminded me of Jason completely powered up in Shadow Complex .

3. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

The cinematics looked great, nice to see some live-action. I thought the aesthetics of the suit looked really nice too. Is this coming out on the 360?

4. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

So, I'm taking a look at the characters (the letters in this case) on the news vids that the video showed, and I thought I might've saw them as Russian, I can guess that this is a thing that the whole world is watching the USA declare whatever the crazy psycho bitch president was boasting about.

5. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
  6. ZeroMayhem

Can't wait to see more, hopefully soon at E3.

Also, from an update back in March (that I never got around to posting): No Multiplayer.

""Vanquish is very intense, full of action. There are just so many things going on," Vanquish game designer Shinji Mikami told website Eurogamer. "When you take that into a multiplayer environment, then you have to realistically consider shaving a lot of things off and putting them into your multiplayer environment."

It kind of boils down to whether you have the multiplayer but you don't have that much impact, and end up being like everyone else. Or even below par," he added. "So that's the main reason we're keeping Vanquish as a single-player experience — to deliver the level of impact, the level of detail and the visuals we want to offer."

http://kotaku.com/5486392/platinum-games-third+person-shooter-wont-have-multiplayer

Which is honestly something I'm quite happy to hear.

7. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
  8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    She's the President, of course. :lolol 

That's a gamble in this day and age, though.
    Personally, I look for multiplayer before anything else.
    But, not everything has to be multiplayer.

9. ZeroMayhem

10. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Gears and Lost Planet sealed the deal with a kid apparently.

11. ZeroMayhem

Eurogamer's first hands on impressions.

Vanquish Hands On - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net

Some interesting parts (full article in above link):

-"It's outside of normal pointing and shooting that Vanquish gets interesting. Having peppered robotic enemies with bullets until they begin to spark and twitch, you can finish them off by sliding along the ground and kicking them in the face in slow-motion, landing back on your feet in a twisting somersault.

-Slow-motion... can also be activated directly after Sam's signature move - lighting up a cigarette before chucking it nonchalantly over his shoulder - in order to shoot cigarette butts out of the air, if you're a dreadful show-off.

-When director Shinji Mikami claimed that Vanquish looks like a shooter but feels like an action game, he wasn't wrong. Watching Sam slither past man-sized bullets with a swivel of the analogue stick and rip the limbs from an enormous boss brings back pleasant memories of Bayonetta.

-Comparisons feel slightly redundant, though; Vanquish looks as entirely idiosyncratic as any of Platinum's other games. Suspicions that it's a re-skinned, Japanese Gears of War fade to nothing as soon as you slide-kick a barrier into a crowd of robots before chucking a cigarette onto the debris."

New screen shots:

Eurogamer.net

Ok, I was excited before, now I'm getting hyped!

12. ZeroMayhem

13. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    Nice, but I still feel it's more of a shooter.
    I just wish that Platinum's next game has a more artistic graphic style. I think the only reason Mad World had that was due to the Wii's weakness.

14. ZeroMayhem

Yeah I think Mad World's look was partially a hardware issue with the Wii. Still Okami and Viewtiful Joe had strong artistic looks that were more due to a stylistic choice.

With Vanquish I think Shinji Mikami is really trying to push the graphics (like he did with RE4). Plus we've only really seen one level thus far. While it may predominately be a "shooter" (a genre I don't usually care for) I do think Platinum's unquie style will bleed through and make this something special. Mikami said on their blog:

"Hi everyone. Vanquish director Shinji Mikami here.

Right now, my new company Tango is having a party to celebrate our first official day of business as a full-fledged studio, and I’m the only one stuck working at the moment.

Anyways, Vanquish… Lots to say about Vanquish…

After I finished up God Hand, I didn’t have a team to work with, so I spent about a year and a half staring out a window. Soon thereafter, I was finally back at work in the studio. Vanquish is my first title after this period of almost running away from being a creator. The design of the game started with my initial desire to make a game like the Japanese animated series Casshern, as well as my desire to challenge myself by making a shooter with an incredible sense of speed and no “slogging through” sections.

At that point in the design the game was a shooter with elements of Casshern (punching/kicking) from time to time, but in the end, we settled into a design that was mainly shooter with rare elements of Casshern. When you actually play the game, you realize that there aren’t that many opportunities to punch or kick in the game, but when you do get the chance, the game really does feel like an action game. Even though it is stylistically a shooter, I would be really happy to have action gamers give the game a chance as well. Thanks to the skill and hard work of the team, the graphics are really incredible in Vanquish. I can whole-heartedly recommend it."

The Vanquish Blog PlatinumGames Inc.

Anyway, the game has a US release date, and it's OCT. 19th!

Platinum Games' Vanquish out on October 19 in America- Destructoid

15. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
  16. ZeroMayhem

DEMO! For PS3 and 360!

For anyone interested, the demo for Vanquish will be out in the US today August 31. Europeans will get the demo on September 1.

"If you've been looking forward to Vanquish, Platinum Games' latest balls-mental action game, you'll be able to satiate your appetite at the end of the month, as Sega has confirmed that a demo is coming on August 31. Europeans will get the demo on September 1.

The demo, "Velocity Attack", lets players try out normal or casual difficulty, and gives them access to a number of weapons and upgrades, as well as the ability to hijack a "Walker" mech for some extra fun. Sounds like the demo they've been parading around at trade shows and the like, and I can confirm it's quite a bit of fun.

The full game is out on October 19. It's going to be awesome, I reckon."

Vanquish gets a demo on August 31- Destructoid

17. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Nice! I am so downloading this :) 

18. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Been looking forward to this game quite a bit. Looks pretty awesome.

EDIT: Just finished the demo. Seems like a damn good game. Gameplay felt very solid and satisfying.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  19. ZeroMayhem

Ugh, still waiting on the PSN demo. I saw it's up on the 360 already but I plan on getting it for PS3 so I don't want to start playing it on my 360....

20. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Just got through playing the demo. Will take a bit of time to get use to the controls, but it seems like it will be fun.