Vanishing Lessons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, Jul 4, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

Feb 8, 2007
    News Credits:
    I got a call late last night from a dear friend that one of our high school classmates, and son of one of our football coaches there, passed away this past week.
    He shot himself.
    In high school, he was a star football player, very popular, and he carried that with him to college.
    back here at home, he had a great job, a strong social network, and as a person in general, was a good man at heart.

he had things going for him. Until the week before or early this week. His wife served him divorce papers.

he wasn't a billionaire or anything, but to most of us down here, he had it all- all as in the things that really mattered beyond things that money could buy, ya know?
    we weren't buddies, but i have talked to him and will always speak highly of him. my friends and classmates are all in shock.

However you define "rich", there's always room for poverty, huh?

This news puts my world in perspective; as bad as things are, i have survived, endured and managed to keep a close knit circle of friends that are there for me. I feel more than rich at the moment- i feel wealthy.
  2. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

Mar 29, 2003
    News Credits:
    The best, the Pacific Northwest!
    I'm so sorry to hear that, jorod. :(  Its always tough when you knew the person.

I wonder if there's a statistical comparison of suicide rates among the various levels of income. Seems to me that maybe there's more drug use among the poor, but less outright suicides. Where I'm living is pretty poor and rural, but in the last 3 years we've only had one possible suicide - 'possible' because its also possible she drove off the 100' embankment into the river because she was stoned and/or drunk and turned too early. But maybe our population is unusual.