Vangelus shares his Botcon tips

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Vangelus, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With the convention coming up, and with my having gone to every single one since 2000, I thought I'd share some tips and experiences with all the people still feeling new to the event. :D 

-Japanese vintage toys that you are probably after cost a lot. A really big amount of a lot. Know this going in. And remember- if you really want Landcross, he got reissued as a blindpack set.

-Please shower. I don't mean this in the typical condescending way, I mean this to enhance your own con experience. It'll refresh you in the morning, and help you get right back into the action after your 2-3 hours of sleep. It'll leave you feeling rejuvinated. It'll be a service to your fellow convention attendees. And above all else, if you're staying in a swanky hotel, you probably wanna take advantage of what is likely to be a swanky shower setup. ;) 

-Introduce yourself to people, and mingle. You'll really have more fun this way. Remember, almost everyone there is there for the same geeky stuff you're there for. I and many others would love to meet you.

-You'll find it is very rare that a typical flamefest internet discussion gets conducted in a similar manner face-to-face. Don't be afraid of hot topics like "I like Japanese toys better", just stay friendly and be cool about it. It's very rare that anyone gets into a huge fight over Transformers at the convention itself, and Twin Twist and I have long since reconciled the multiple fractures by playing lots of makeup Rock Band.

-Don't steal things from dealer room tables. It's happened more each year (from my vantage), and it sort of prevents people from wanting to make friends with you. Especially the security people. Remember, a big table of severely valuable items probably has a reaction to theft that is of similar severity.

-When people in the back of the crowd snicker when you ask "How do I break into voice acting?" at the actor Q&A panel, it's not because they hate you. It's just because they've heard the question asked at every convention, sometimes twice in the same panel. ;)  Someone has to do it, and if it's you, then feel honored!

-Yes, that guy asks about Headmaster Arcee almost every year.

-Don't be a jerk to guests, even if they besmirched the honor of your favourite character with their voicing job or made a toy so irritating it caused you to somehow physically vomit on an infant. Ask whatever you want at the Q&A (within reason), just be constructive. You could still get a pleasing answer. Hell, Aaron Archer once even said that Armada Thrust's spinning wing gimmick did not pan out satisfactorily.

-If you're short on cash (or even if you aren't), always save some for Sunday. On Sunday, many dealers would like to put their wares into your hands so they don't have to take it home. On Sunday, deals run aplenty. On Sunday, you can get armfuls of loose non-rare BW/BM for mere dollars.

That's kinda long. If anyone wants to add to it, please feel free. I only request that you not be all like "yeaahh you FOCKIN NOOBS" about it. :D 

And to everyone new to the environment: The worst stories people have to share are the worst because they were never outdone, and thus not something to worry about this year. :) 

2. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

The Milk Daddy preaches the truth!

In all seriousness, good tips there. I echo the one about mingling. Don't be shy about meeting folks, everyone's very approachable and cool.

3. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Best advice, be polite at all times, remain clean, treat others as you'd like to be treated. (Worked for me at my first Botcon in 07)

4. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I forgot one extremely key TFW one!!!

-You don't have to drink to hang out and have fun with drinkers. This has been tested and proven.

5. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to test Vangelus theory of mingling, by following him around the con till he talks to me. :) 

6. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James The JUICE

The Milk Daddy speaks the truth. Good advice. Go there and have a good time. It's a lot of fun.

7. atomicthumbs

atomicthumbs Bots > Savings Acct

Great advice, thanks - Especially since this is my first one AND unfortunately It now looks like I'll be going solo (really, REALLY worried about being bored outta my frakkin' skull with no one to hang out with).

8. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Im living proof, and you can even end up in one of Tricky's videos too. In all seriousness, no one's going to mock you or make a scene because your drink is alcohol free. Just grab your favorite beverage and mingle with the crazy clan that is TFW.

9. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    I love how you mention 2-3 hours of sleep. IT IS THE TRUTH! :lol 

10. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My first Botcons, I barely met up with anyone (granted most of my regular hangouters didn't start coming til later ones), and while fun they were totally no the uproarious victory the later ones were. :D 

11. Freyabeads

Freyabeads TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes it did and I know we are looking forward to meeting ya'll!

12. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    Now, I remember at the 2002 BotCon, we had dinner at a Ft Wayne TGI Fridays. Where I first met all you gang, and where you had a mike. And recorded us and stuff.

Also, you have been sporting microphones and video cameras in the later years, but we have yet to see/hear the end results! :p 

13. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Shower.

I'm sure it's been posted, but it apparently demands constant reiteration.

14. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This, oh sweet God very much this. So much this that it levels up to: THIS

15. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I love reading these type of threads I cant believe how many people state to shower, it only takes a good 10 mins to shower how big of a rush must you be in that you cant take 10 min to get clean.

16. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I didn't take a shower one day last year. I won't lie.

[​IMG]

Also, yes. Drinking does not equate friendship. It's fun and we talk about it a lot but there are about 90 things on the 101 things I loved about Botcon 2007 that didn't involve drinking!

17. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I forgot another important tip:

-Never refer to Drew Eiden as "Drew" or "Mister Eiden". It must always be a precisely pronounced "Drew Eiden".

18. RHansen

RHansen Veteran

News Credits:
    for the love of god shower

WHY MUST SO MANY OF YOU FRIGGIN SMELL SO BAD?

if you're using Axe or something similar, don't coat yourself in it, be reasonable, lots of axe is just as bad as no showers

19. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay, a small tip from my own experience.

Don't be afraid to go up and say hi to people. I am still kicking myself for last year. I have a bit of a complex I guess when it comes to meeting folks for the first time. I was scared to death of saying howdy to Tricky and Shin, and a lot of the people on here. I finally got some gumption, and said howdy to folks, adn teh next thing I know we're all having lunch and hanging out.

Don't let your fears of introducing yourself get you kaflustered.

It took me til Sunday to say hi to Twin Twist. It turned out that he wasn't sure it was even be since I changed my beard into a goatee. I missed out on a lot last year. Don't follow my footsteps and be overly trepedaceous.

20. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Wait that isn't the norm??? I kid I kid.

I think StarsabreJ's approach was good, he heard a bunch of us talking (probably heard someone mention TFW) walked up to the group, waited for an opportune moment and introduced himself.