Valve's Gabe Newell's comments on PS3

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by misterd, Feb 2, 2007.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

This is a quote from the following interview excerpt:

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200701/N07.0116.1324.31632.htm

I confess I am not a Sony fan, and I agree with some of Newell's statements, but I also think he's jumping the gun way too fast when he calls it a "total disaster." Any chance we can get some civilized discission on this?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    well, for one:
    Since when does he know anything about the console game market? He does PC games.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I'm not sure he's got his head on straight. First of all, the PS3 launch is only a major disaster, not a total one. There's no way a "do over" at this point is even sane. And then, when asked about the 360, he goes on a rant about Windows Vista instead? WTF?

4. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Which is why I didn't title the thread "Comments on PS3 and 360."

But he does seem to have a thing against consoles. His grudge against the 360 is that it's taking away from Vista. That's a fair gripe against MS, but has zero bearing on the 360 itself.

Now if this had been someone at Konami, EA, or Square, then I might take the claim with a little less salt.

5. flamepanther

A thing against consoles that aren't the Wii, apparently.
    I don't think it's because you like the Wii, Gabe.

6. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I still fail to see how the PS3 is a disaster.

They're still selling out from stores, just not at the "wait in line for 20 hours" pace they were before. Their availability is slowly increasing, and more and more people are being able to buy one.

No, it was not the launch Sony wanted, with a subpar line-up of games and the continued console issues. But I wouldn't call it a disaster ... they sold the systems they've produced so far.

How is that a disaster? How can you sell your systems when you can't make them quick enough?

7. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

As far a luanches go. I will come out an say that I work for video game retailer part time.
    360 - launched with some good titles, but was essentaily sold out until about april.

PS3 - Launched with only a couple exclusive games, then was sold out until late dec. I can walk in to about any store in town and buy one. To expensive, and not enough launch titles.

Wii - Best launch of any system ever. Launched with more games than any system in history . And still to this our store and many others have a line up waiting for the UPS truck to arrive.

8. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It's not a total disaster, but they are no longer selling out in stores. Atleast around St. Paul. I haven't seen a Nintendo Wii since it's launch, but I've seen stores loaded with PS3's since early January.

What this Gabe guy is suggesting is probably the worst thing Sony can do. Sony is loosing this war so far because they are loosing their franchise brands. And with it their identity. Halo will sell systems, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, will sell systems. Sony has MGS, and I think they are going to loose that. They need to establish characters with "must have" titles.

This Gabe guy seems bitter, and out of touch with the inner workings of the industry. Why is he being interviewed?

9. honestgabe

honestgabe I

Psh, Gabe Newell gives all us other Gabe's a bad name. He's always jumping to conclusions and saying radically stupid comments. And he's fat and ugly.

10. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

C'mon Kickback, you know why it's a disaster. Cause Sony is evil and likes t o drink the blood of newborn children while forcing themselves on nuns. Duh!

11. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

The PS3 launch wasn't a disaster. Sony sold 1.4 million units in 2 months-- that's not bad. It's when you compare the PS3 to the Wii and 360 launches that it doesn't look good. It wasn't a disaster, but it really wasn't that good. And the future looks grim because of the lack of must-have games. PS3's are getting left on the shelves. Its no longer a production problem.

12. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Because the premier gaming system is the PC?

13. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Didn't this guy throw some sort of hissy fit over Half Life 2? Just seems be me he just likes to flap his mouth a lot.

14. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Civilized discussion on a console topic specificly the PS3? Unlikely. Some development houses have praised the PS3 and found intrresting uses for its multi-core set up(Like using one core just for physics similar to the way physics cards work) others are not too impressed. I wonder if Valve will still release H2 E2 on PS3? I would be sad to see it go. Console gaming world is crazy just the other the day the makers of Saints Row said they would be releasing it on PS3 I seriously wasnt expecting that.

15. flamepanther

What they need is to establish a strong in-house game development team that works closely with their hardware team. It's much easier to be in touch with what developers want and to have a reliable supply of good games when you are your own best developer. That's how Nintendo got established in consoles, survived their bad years, and has been able to make a strong comeback. That's why Microsoft bought Bungie and Rare. Sony owns and co-owns a few developers, but they're not strong enough or prolific enough. Their problem isn't just that they don't make enough good games... Sony barely makes any games at all. They need to change that, and they need to get good at it, they need to get prolific at it, and they need to figure this out soon.

16. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

The flipside of this is every console manufacturer who spout off about how their new console will kill the PC as a viable gaming platform and how they're useless, etc. Rubbishing the other product is how all these companies keep their fanboys and thus keep them in sales.

To be honest, I'd be worried if a PC games developer didn't go off about consoles, and console developers go off about PCs. It would mean the gaming apocalypse was about to occur.

17. flamepanther

Has anyone actually done that yet besides Sony?