VALVe to PS3: "It's not you, it's me"

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Dinobot Nuva, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
  2. newguy

newguy i

i love orang box. I want it for my ps3 now

3. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

That's unfortunate. Everyone should be able to experience (most of) Valves products.

4. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

No you don't. Each game has some serious problems. While they're not game breaking they will skew your view of the qaulity of game that is there. OB wasn't that great on 360 either. HL2 and Portal just don't work that well with a controller and TF2 has yet to recieve any of the updates.

People tend to not realize that Valve is kind of a small company still. The 360 is simple enough to (down) port their PC product to that they can do it internally, they just don't have the resources to get the PS3 work done themselves. It sounds like they want to, but I think it's just Gabe trying to back track over some of the poor comments made in the past.

5. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Never bought the OB, but I did download Portal: Still Alive off the Marketplace. I never had any issues with the controller, seemed to work well enough.

6. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I had no problems playing OB with a controller, just like any other console FPS. As always, the aiming wasn't as precise, but the movement was better than with a keyboard/mouse combo.

7. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

Meh, PS3 don't really need them. There's plenty of 1st party and 3rd party FPS for and coming to PS3. I'm a PS3 gamer and never cared much for anything from Valve.

Though I believe EA is going to push Vavle to do L4D for PS3 rather they like it or not, cause EA does like money.

8. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
  9. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I read here no proof of you preferring pc for games.

Other then that, Orange Box is great on any platform and they play GREAT on a controller if you aren't too accustomed to playing FPS's with just a mouse/keyboard combo. However, it's a discount title and has been out for the 360 for sometime, and it's missed any window it had to release on the PS3 with any amount of hype remaining.

10. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    PS3 supports Mouse and Keyboard. AFAIK only Unreal Tournament III has used it.

Doesn't Valve have atleast 100 people working there? Media Molecule, the developers behind LittleBigPlanet, have a full time staff of under 20. One is clearly trying a lot harder then the other.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Valve games have never interested me and I never got the facination with Halflife, but I like their statement. At least as a company they seem to be doing this for an honorable reason, and not a payoff. And I believe them.

12. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    EA had one of their EA Partners groups recode the original Orange Box for the PS3. VALVe had little to no part in that phase of its development.

Yes, but they're split up amongst a wide variety of projects. Hell, the Team Fortress team is only about ten people most of the time, and even they had to get yanked away from their project to help work on Left 4 Dead last year. You've got the marketing guys, the people who keep the Steam service streamlined and updated, the L4D, Portal, Half Life and TF2 teams (and I'm sure there's another team working on something else right now).

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Well at least this sounded more respectful than Gabe's usual comments about the PS3.
    I don't know why he would choose to alienate potential customers like that.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably because after this E3, anything not holding up on the PS3 really does end up being a "It's me not you," and a very indirect way of saying, "our guys just can't do it, but others can, so we just ain't good enough."

15. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

More like our guys don't feel like doing it because it costs more money and takes more time to program for if you aren't used to programming for the system, plus the install base isn't large enough to warrant the extra costs. Not a real knock on the PS3, I love the innovation of the thing, but there are unfortunate financial realities that are stopping companies from porting to it. I mean, if I were making a game for a next gen console I would choose 360 and PC because the install base of those two combined is greater than the PS3 and it's easy to port the code from one to the other. Then again, I'd make so much more money just making some shovelware for the Wii and DS...

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In other words it would cost too much for them to do it because no one in the team can do it without the need to spend more money. I don't see Bethesda complaining, or Bioware now that they are making Dragon Age for both systems. Honestly, the guy said it in his own words. "If we can get a team of dedicated PS3 guys, then all bets are off." Even if their reason is expense, it's expense because they aren't experienced or versatile enough to program for both, like other companies are. And I am not talking Sony companies, as even Code Masters seems to do the job just fine, and they aren't exactly Bioware status.

17. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Valve should do this and update the Orange box with TF2 updates, trophies, HL 2 episodes. I would like to try L4D and I would pay for anything they add to TF2 no questions.