Value of FP Botcon exclusives?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by matrixprime, Sep 8, 2009.

1. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was wondering since attendee botcon exclusives are only packaged in plastic bags does removing the toy decrease its value? I really want to open a few up but dont want to decrease the value of the toys.

2. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    depends on what exclusive it is. If its something on the cheaper side like huffer it wouldn't be that big a deal. If it's something like Megs and waspinator it could hurt it a good amount

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

You... collect toys... for their monetary value?

4. Riltht

Riltht Full-Time Doomsayer

This.

But like MegaHavok said before, it depends on the toy.

5. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

+1

Play with that bad boy! :p 

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Take it from someone who use to keep a majority of his toys sealed . . . crack that bitch open. Who cares about the $ value. It's all about the value you get out of the toy :thumbs2: 

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Which ones are you considering opening?

8. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

If it bothers you to open toys, you can send them to me. I'll do it. Hell, I'll do it free of charge.

9. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Botcon plastic's purpose is just for delivery. They're not the highest grade plastic and have a chance of degrading. It might be 2 or it might be 20-30 years before it happens but keep that in mind.

Secondly, the value make take a hit but it'll be a small one. The current economic condition will have more of an effect on the toy's value then whether it's opened or not.

Lastly, what everybody else said is correct. If you're keeping the toys sealed for their monetary value you're going to go crazy. The therapy sessions will cost you more in the end then any value lost by opening the suckers. . .

10. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

dude i used to keep all my toys misb but its just not very fun that way. also think of how much room u save by not haveing them in box. thats room for even more toys.

11. nOObiE do0

nOObiE do0 noobious maximus

I had misb toys I never touched.
    Then I had a house fire and lost everything.I realized I never enjoyed anything.
    I now open everything.

12. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    I like to have my cake & eat it. :) 

For every piece that I really really like, I've another one that's awaiting opening up.

But I've to admit that urge of opening 'em up sometime goes away after awhile. :p 

13. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I generally open everthing I have. The only reason I asked is because of them being botcon exclusives. I was thinking it wouldn't make much of a difference because those plastic bags don't seem to be of the greatest quality and I didn't think they would hold up well. Besides I really just wanted to mess around with BW Megs and Wierdwolf.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Weirdwolf is very cool and not a bankbreaker. Durable mold too so there's little chance of breakage. I'd say take him out and enjoy!

BW Megatron is also a durable mold. I don't have this version and I know he's pretty expensive on the market. I wouldn't make a recommendation either way. Maybe get CD Red Alert or Universe Countdown rather than opening BW Megatron?

15. thedrknss48

thedrknss48 Veteran

News Credits:
    What about the 2007 Seekers; Thundercracker, Dirge, and Thrust. I'm pretty close to getting those 3 "unopened". I don't want to keep them untransformed just for their monetary value, but if I ever have to sell them later on....that sort of thing.

Note: I've transformed my other seekers, Starscream, Acid Storm, Skywarp, and Ramjet plenty of times back and forth....so I'm worried I'd do that to the Botcon ones. :D 

16. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Out of the seven seekers, and I have them all and transform them regularly, Skywarp is probably the one with the tightest tailfin joints. That's the only joint you have to worry about on this mold, and the coneheads don't have that joint. I'd open the Botcon seekers, they look absolutely amazing in robot mode all together!

17. thedrknss48

thedrknss48 Veteran

News Credits:

I've seen pics of them all together and they look beautiful. I'll have to think this over more! I think even if they are transformed people still pay a lot for them (if I have to sell them later of course).

18. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I opened all my Botcon exclusives except Nightracer and Breakdown. I like the card too much on those two. It saves a lot of room as I transform them into robot mode.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd agree. I've been picking up a lot of sealed E-Hobby exclusives in the last month and I don't have any problem spending maybe 10% of their sealed value in exchange for enjoying them out of box, applying labels etc. And if you have to sell, you just indicate "collector-owned, kept on display on shelf, no play wear" and back it up with photos. Most collectors are fine with that, I'd imagine.

20. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I opened my Botcon set (2009) and the other exclusives I bought because I don't plan on selling them. Ever. They're souvenirs of one of the most awesome weekends of my life and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Except a million dollars. Just sayin'.