Value Drops, Board Members Rejoice? I am confused.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by LadyStarscream, Oct 4, 2012.

1. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I don't understand why every time a valuable/desirable figure gets a re release everyone here seems to get excited. I always read posts from fans rejoicing that reissues will bring the price down on certain figures. Why would anyone be happy about their collection losing value? I mean value isn't my motivation for collecting, I collect what I like, but at the same time, I do have a good deal of money invested in this hobby. You don't usually see people rejoicing in the streets when their stocks go down. I am not happy with all the reissues popping up even if I don't own said figure(s). I think there is a little magic in rare or hard to find Transformers, whether I want them or not, whether I own them or not. I don't have so much of a problem with G1 reissues but the random reissues of modern figures screams to me that Hasbro/Takara (and even 3rd party companies) are trying to cash in before we do. I don't like how any random figure can be reissued at any given time.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

It's pretty simple: the people that typically rejoice over reissues are the ones that missed out on the initial offering and/or can't afford the inflated aftermarket prices.

3. Cerberus

Cerberus Shockwave loyalist

News Credits:
    because they appreciate the opportunity to get a figure thay couldnt have otherwise due to aftermarket prices
    a new reissue is always a good thing in that way
    you said that value is not your motivation, but the way you seems to be pissed off suggest otherwise :confused: 

As for myself, i dont collect money back under the form of figure, i collect cause i like to have those figures, no matter how much they can worth afterward, i dont intend to sell them without the need

4. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    OP just doesn't want other people to have his toys. He wants to be the ONLY one to have them.

Don't forget Transformers are simply mass-produced plastic playthings. Modern toys are not investments. Best you'll ever get is a few hundred dollars. The originals will always maintain their value.

Reissues of modern toys are great cause it means we don't have to pay scalper prices for toys we didn't get a chance at.

Reissues of vintage is even better....the chance to open a factory sealed MIB G1 TF and not feel guilty about destroying the value!

It's all a win/win to me. I wish ALL the hard to find stuff was available all the time!!

5. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Why wouldn't they be happy?

People who already got it: It's not like the price dropping means they SPENT more. They should be happy that more fans get access to something they enjoy. Plus, maybe they want a backup in case anything should happen to their's (I'm happy with a Soundwave reissue because my current Soundwave is a bit beat up, for example).

People that haven't gotten it yet: They're happy because they have access to it.

It doesn't hurt anyone unless they're trying to make money, and that's... not really a lot of people. Most of us are in it for fun.

6. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    What value are we talking about? Losing monetary value? In which case, only scalpers and toy flippers would care. Sentimental value, why would reissues/re-releases even factor in to begin with? Because a toy isn't as whizbang cool if every other Tom, Dick, and Harry can have a shot at one too, rendering a once exclusive toy uncool (BotCon Exclusive Thundercracker and Generations Thundercracker, anyone)?

7. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

And honestly, I prefer it when my figures don't appreciate. I care for my figures pretty well, but it's honestly terrifying knowing that my figure's appreciated so much and the fact that it's now going to be a pain to replace if something should happen to it.

8. LadyStarscream

I have actually never even sold one of my Transformers and I have been collecting for over ten years. I honestly don't collect for value, but if a particular figure is somehow valuable I do enjoy it, even though I have no intention of selling it. I am not pissed off, I just don't like the idea of random figures constantly being reproduced.

What does piss me off is spending 35.00 or 65.00 for a Takara deluxe or limited edition only to have it reissued as a Hasbro release for 15.00

I never know what to buy and what to wait on anymore, although it does seem that anything of interest will come back around again one way or another.

9. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Because my collection has no resale value so if I can buy something I want for cheaper then that is reason to rejoice.

10. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Honestly it's just as selfish for one person to say "I want my toy to stay valuable/rare, despite others wanting to get it reissued so they can enjoy it" as another to say "I want a hard to find/rare toy reissued so I can buy it on the cheap! I don't care about another's formerly rare toys". Neither are right and neither are wrong.

It's that AT THE CORE, toy collecting is a selfish hobby. People will beg for things to be released, cry when they are released at a higher then expected price, cry when item is no longer available, cry when they have to pay secondary market values, and cry again when the item gets another production run or reissue and they can obtain it for a fraction of what they paid.

Just put the bs aside and get what you enjoy, enjoy what you get, and don't put too much stock in things being valuable. It may take 30 years for your item to lose value, but there's always the chance it can happen.

11. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    The people that are rejoicing are the ones that do not have the figure in question yet. The ones that do are usually content with having an awesome figure, so they're not effected much by the value drop.

At least IMO.

12. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    For some people it means getting something they don't have.

For some, they're happy for others getting it.

And some people are just bitter and like the idea that someone else paid over the odds for something, and they're going to loose out as a result.... yes there really are people like that.

There's that word again.

Just because a modern toy is a certain price on the aftermarket doesn't automatically mean it's the work of Scalpers.

13. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me it's a chance to get spares and the reissue is a 'newer'. I dropped $200 on Thundercracker and SKywarp when they were originally released as eHobby collectibles and promptly opened them up. Years later when they were mass released I still picked them again! I'm actually very glad that TakaraTomy is reissuing their TFs! :) 

14. LadyStarscream

Very well put!

15. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    because we don't collect for value, if they reissued overlord tomorrow, i wouldn't cry about it, i'd most likely buy another (or two) for other modes in the display

16. TheShape

TheShape Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think a good part about toys appreciating in value is that it adds respect to our hobby compared to other collectables, such as coins, stamps and comics. The main reason I would be upset at a reissue is if I just bought an original and then a reissue meant I could get the original for less., or if I need the money due to unforeseeable circumstances , I could get my money back.

I think in 20 years time a g1 fort max will still be sort after. The popularity of the reissues can recreate g1 buzz that can make the other non reissued figures go up. Better start buying action masters before they are too expensive hehe.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Read what you said back to yourself and tell me you can't answer it.

People rejoice because they don't give a flying kidney stone about the "value' of there collection, but the items in it. Not everyone collects for monetary return. It's not an investement, it's a hobby. The ony people who care are the ones who payed upwards of a thousand dollars for a children's toy and now a far, far cheaper alternative has come up. And if that's how you collect, I'm sorry to say you may be missing the point. I don't judge my collection on it's monetary value, I judge it by the individual pieces in it that have meaning to me.

Toys should not be a fallback in the event of a financial crisis. The toy market is unpredictable at best and if you only buy expensive toys so you can sell them later you're very unwise. If that's you're goal when buying then you're very misguided and only setting yourself up for dissapointement.

18. LadyStarscream

Another good response!

To clarify, I am not saying people should be angry about modern reissues, but I was more questioning the general outward happiness that seems to surround it.

19. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like everyone else has said, pretty much.

Fort Max, for example... It's the difference between me owning Fort Max and NOT. I would rather have a reissue than nothing, since I am not willing to pay $1000+ for an original MIB one. At this price I'm tempted to get a second one so my son can open up his own when he gets older.

20. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I fucking love reissues. Why? Because it means more people are going to get their hands on the toys I love and they love.

No doubt this thread is in response to the Fortress Maximus reissue. I am ecstatic that so many collectors are going to own this figure. The more people that can enjoy this hobby and have their hands on the toys, the BETTER.