Valkyrie

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Optimus1986, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

I cannot wait to see this! Too bad they didn't kill 'im off, but he did it himself when he attacked Russia. I guess when you're on crystal meth, Russia don't look so imposing...

2. Sideways

Sideways Banned

Looks interesting but I'm not a Cruise-missile fan.

3. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    I saw an early screening of the movie just the other day and I must say that I enjoyed it. Totally not what I expected. Tom Cruise seems to be redeeming himself lately. I know some people are like "WTF" with the eye patch but he doesn't wear it throughout the whole movie. At times his character wears a prosthetic eye. Give it a shot people.

4. Jukebox Prime

Jukebox Prime Musi-Con

Yeah but he's still supposed to be a german who talks like Tom Cruise, is that correct?

5. Mr.Roboto

News Credits:
    Well, technically they all speak english. No one has a very thick german accent. The movie starts off with Tom Cruises' character writing in a journal in german while in his mind he is speaking german as well. During the time he is speaking german in his thoughts it transitions into english.

6. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Tom Cruise looks like John Barrowman. I though Barrowman was doing it before I saw Cruise's name.

Second, Mr. Roboto, your sig is awesome.

7. Jukebox Prime

Jukebox Prime Musi-Con

Hmm... Well I'm glad to hear you say that. From the trailer I got the feeling that this was just once again Tom Cruise playing the same character he always does and feeling that since he's Tom Cruise he doesn't have to attempt a german accent. But if this is the way it was filmed and they at least try to transition the audience from german into something everybody is more familiar with, I may give it a try. I mean, people conspiring against Hitler, what's not to like? :lol 

8. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Is Cruise the last one standing? I saw the Last Samurai...

9. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Although I too am no Cruise fan, this actually looks pretty good. And he redeemed another shot for himself with Tropic Thunder.

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    saw the movie last night and i really enjoyed it

i thought the "explanation" of why everyone is speaking english was very well done

it does start off in German and then it very nicely transitions into english. i thought that was cool.

but yeah!

a great movie. Tom Cruise was great. I never really caught the hate on him. i think he's a decent actor and thought he did quite well!

I really liked the movie. Whats funny is a lot of what happened in the movie i was never taught in high school [german assasination attempts on Hitler and all]

i really liked the overall theme as well.
    "This isnt Hitler's Germany"
    "lets redeem Germany"

was very cool stuff

so yeah

it gets my approval!
    Good. Enlightening. Thought Provoking.

just very well done IMO.

looks like Bryan Singer pulled another good one out of his hat :D 

11. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I thought it was a great and very well done movie.

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm, I might catch this movie after reading some off the positive comments posted. I'm not a Cruise fan but I like watching WWII movies...or events surrounding it.

13. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My sister called me lastnight to let me know that she went to see this movie.

She said it was pretty good. But I doubt I will see it.

14. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I think you have convinced me

15. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I have seen a few documentaries on this story and the impression I got from the commercials and trailers is they are making Stauffenberg and the conspirators out to look like this grand heroes out so save the world from Hitler's evil when they really concerned with getting a cease fire form the U.S. and U.K. so they could focus on defeating Russia and maintaining Nazi party control of Germany.

Convince me that's not what they are doing and there might be more to the story then I have already learned and maybe I'll check it out on DVD.

16. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^^^ This ^^^

17. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I only want to see this if Tom Cruise dances like he did in Tropic Thunder.

18. Mr.Roboto

News Credits:
    Actually, in the movie they felt that Hitler was disgracing Germany. It wasn't the fact that they wanted to save the world from Hitler. They knew that eventually the Allied forces would seize control and topple the Nazi regime. Their main concern was to save Germany from the Nazi regime, but also show the world that not everyone in Germany was like Hitler.

19. SlayerDarkCross

SlayerDarkCross -----------> ? TFW2005 Supporter

I actually really liked this movie.

They did not glorify the resistance anymore did they Hitler as people hated them both.

The movie basically is following a suicide mission. If you want to see the hero die than this is a movie for ya.

We all watched Sweeney Todd too see Borat die so watch Valkyrie too see Cruise die.

20. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    There's not much reason for me to watch the movie even if it was good. First, Tom Cruise. Not just that he's a nutjob, but also because I still don't think he can act well.

And that no one in that movie speaks German. I would've rather had Singer make this movie with Germans. I've watched German movies about WWII before, and Nazi officials speaking in American and British accents really took me out of it when I was watching the trailer. I had to laugh out loud. Maybe it doesn't matter for average movie goers, but I know that some of my closest friends and I, who are history buffs, and one who's learned European languages with me, won't watch it because it'll just seem superficial, even with a factually accurate story.

Singer should've gotten a German cast. That would've carried the message of the movie better than some bygone Hollywood star who appears on tabloids more than he does on decent movies.

So, my question to the people who watched it is, is it worth $10 for one time viewing? Will it win any Oscars? Did it make you feel something inside? Did you have a good time? If you can't say yes to any of them, I can't go watch it.