vacuum metallized coatings... wrinkles???

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Psychrome86, May 8, 2006.

1. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

i was just checking out my ultra jetstorm and noticed most of the VM coating is either wrinkled or coming up and starting to flake off. :mad 

I never play with this guy, just tranform him every now and then (granted the last time was months ago) and move him around to different spots in the room. what can cause this? :confused: 

my re-issue g1 megatron has no problem at all and he gets the same treatment.

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Vac metal will flake over time. I notice it on almost all my BW figures I've had for a few years now. Vac metal looks good, but it's not meant to last. Probably why Hasbro doesn't use it much anymore.

3. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

strange stuff. i just looked through my all my other figs and they all seem to be in great condition. could heat and humidity be a factor in this? most of his spots have been higher up than all the others. guess i'm taking my masterpiece convoy off the top shelf for now.

4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Oil in your fingers, heat, humidity (especially very high humidity) and direct light are all things that can factor into deteriorating vac metal.

5. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And here's something even scarier than Joe's Avatar, the flaking can happen to the figures while still Mint in Package.