V for Vendetta

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by megatronkicksas, Feb 16, 2010.

1. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I've recently read the book and I'm wondering if the movie is worth it. I read Ebert's review of 3/4. I still intend on watching it whether or not it's good, but I just want to know if I'll be disappointed.

Please use spoiler tags.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I never read the graphic novel, but I really enjoyed the movie.

Huge props to Hugo Weaving for not ever showing his face. That's a rare feat for a major actor in a "comic" movie.

3. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Really good movie. But I had a hankerin' for an eggie in a basket for a week after watching that movie. :lol 

4. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    I felt that the movie felt way too "American", and much of the ambigiuaty of the character V is changed to be clearly a protagonist. All in all, it loses a lot of the spirit of the book. But, I will say that Hugo Weaving was a fantastic casting choice, and feel free to watch it solely for him.

5. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    Also like to point out that "Eggie in a basket" was completely made up and no such thing exists in Britain

6. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the movie "yet" but I've heard good reviews about it. I think it will be worth watching

7. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely
    Fake or not now I'm hungry as hell.
    That's what I got from the clips I've seen. One of the definite strong points of the book was that he was never a full blown hero or villain, he was just there to spread the truth.

8. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Yeah. But it's sooo good.

9. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Haven't read the graphic novel yet. I loved the movie when it first came out, but haven't really felt the urge to ever re-watch it in the last few years. Natalie Portman is one of my favorite actresses, and she's great in it, so is Hugo Weaving.

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    It was okay on the whole, with Weaving totally stealing the show; weakest parts were where it deviated from the original. The ironic thing is that the first draft for the movie's script was a near-perfect parallel to the comic. I have no idea why they didn't use it.

11. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's probably better if you haven't read the original work before seeing it...especially since the Wachowskis clearly didn't read the graphic novel before they made it. They pretty much removed all of Alan Moore's original message and made it into the kind of "Bush teh suk!" parable that was popular at the time. They also changed a number of important characters/events and removed a number of other important characters/events, most of which contributed to the subtlety of the original story.

About the only bright spot is Hugo Weaving, who does an outstanding job with his performance as V. Otherwise, it's garbage.

12. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I really enjoyed both, The movie does lose some of the impact of the comic but the comic is very slow paced and drags on and on in some areas.

Pacing is one of Alan's masterful works, only problem is that he is so full of himself sometimes it makes his work suffer now and then. Same can be said for the Wachowski bros.

I really loved both there strengths and weaknesses. I still watch the movie and read the book every November 5th.

13. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

I'm definitely a fan of the movie. Something I'll watch over and over again.

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Terrible film. Just terrible.

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

No.

As much as I think that Moore is an unnecessarily petty and miserable dude, I can't say that I woulden't be the same if folks kept bungling my work so spectacularly.

16. McBradders

Spectacularly is being kind. Too kind.

17. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Ok then then what do people want?

Adaptations mean things are gonna be different, if the film is exactly the same as the book then it defeats the point of it being made.

I want a 10 hour movie thats a perfect word for word treatment of a popular book and when it bombs we can all sit back and maybe slightly understand why shit is the way it is. Maybe the source material isn't movie material to begin with.

V for Vendetta is fine, its flawed by those who made it but whaqt did we really expect?

18. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd be more forgiving of some of the other flaws in the film if the Wachowskis had at least kept Moore's original theme intact, instead of turning it into a vehicle for the political point they wanted to make. I couldn't find the beginning of the quote, but...

If the Wachowskis wanted to make that kind of film, that's their perogative, but the solution is to make their own original movie, not to take an existing work and completely alter the theme until it fits their idea.

19. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Loved the film and having read the graphic novel too, I still prefer the film.

20. McBradders

Yup, this exactly. Also SLOW-MO KNIFE FIGHT. FUuuuuuuuuuuuuu-