v for vendetta: adaptation discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by KA, Mar 20, 2006.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yes, i'm aware of the thread in GD.

however, i'd like to start a serious discussion in regards to the adaptation, w/o taking away from ppl who enjoy the movie on its own. here's some points to ponder.

despite successfully carrying the same message and socio-political commentary, the movie is in places drastically different in its implementation (which is remarkable actually). thus, i dare say, the warchowski bros. have effectively made the movie their own, with respects to moore and lloyd, by using contemporary political climate as a reference.

i take that whoever reading this is already familiar with how the movie is similar to the book so lets get straight to the differences.

- evey is less a victim here and much more independent character.
    - gordon is an entirely different character, in some respects better than the comic in that it provides the perspective of the times from a different person, other than V.
    - the high chancellor (with different name than in comics), creedy and prothero here is more complicit in the creation of the fascist neo-england. convenient on celluloid to pinpoint the baddies.
    - the ending, with V's viking funeral ending at parliment, rather than 10 downing street, also a more optimistic version of events in regards to rioters. while this makes the movie devoid of grey areas in terms of judgement and moral, it was still a visual treat to watch the rioters in their guy fawkes gear overwhelming the military.

meanwhile, i really like the comics version which emphasized the coming of full circle in terms of V as an idea, not a person. thos the movie did somewhat addressed it, differently, in evey's speech.

ive some more thoughts, looking fwd to your thoughts.

2. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I'd like to participate, but I've not read the comic. I will probably pick it up soon.

3. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

The most notable difference I saw is that Evey is no longer a 16-year-old prostitute. I loved the movie, don't get me wrong, and I was kind of surprised that such a vital detail was left out.

I REALLY liked what happened with Gordon. His little skit about the chancellor is hilarious.

I have a question about that skit, though. I'm aware that (duh) Chancellor Sutler would not make a humorous appearance on TV, but was that John Hurt in makeup to not look like himself? It looked kind of like him in heavy makeup.

4. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Evey never actually prostituted herself in the comic so it's not really a vital detail. However the fact that she had sunk low enough to try it at the start of the story makes her development to towards the end that much more dramatic so I understand your point about it being left out.

Really it comes down to modern film makers afraid to have a weak timid character as a female lead. I think they worried that audiences would pitty her instead of associating themmselves with her so the made her tougher.

I also thought the leader was overly villified. By the end of the movie there is a clear defenition of right and wrong but in the comic theres so many shades of gray that you feel bad for each character as their personal stories end. I think that grayness promotes more thought then the good guys versus bad guys story of thoe movie. Probably one of the many changes that upset Moore so much

5. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got lots to say, but I'll just talk about the three changes I -didn't- like for now:

-Evey. I found her far more sympathetic when she was a teen ready to go out and try to be a prostitute, whose parents were taken for far more unfair reasons. The curfew thing kinda ruined the horrorific cruel irony of "Oh, little girl, prostitution puts you under our discretion. So, we're going to rape and kill you".

-The Leader. John Hurt made me like the movie version, but overall I wish he wasn't played up as...well, British Hitler. I liked the subtler comic version more.

-The lack of grey, overall. The above two things are examples of my biggest problem with the movie, which is that a lot of the grey was changed to pure black + white. The good guys were good guys, the bad guys were bad guys. It's all part of movie-izing something for a larger audience, I know, but I still wish things weren't SO blatant.

I did like more things about the movie than dislike, mind. :D 

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i also find it funny they changed susan to suttler, hehe.

i kind of like the fact evey was working in broadcasting since one of the issues is dissemination of information, not that it was fleshed out in the movie. i also like it for the fact it somewhat refers to 1984.

was movie evey a subversive in the 1st place?

7. Lord Of Tetris

I really like the change done to the movie's finale. The final battle wasn't in the comic, but I am so so so GLAD that it's in the movie. :) 

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

It was political commentary with a sledgehammer. And the fight at the end was... just... it was like the whole "Franken-vader" "NOooOOOoOOoOOOOO!" bullshit at the end of Revenge of the Sith. Bullshit.

Overall it was "ok", I just wish Hollywood didn't think everyone watching the movie was a dumbshit.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i actually kinda like the V cosplayers en masse ending.

yeah, its more feelgood-ey and a lot more tidy moral-wise, but i thought it worked on screen.

i also like the idea, some suggested, that the ending shouldnt be taken literally, what with the dead ppl's face showing up behind the guy fawkes mask.

10. Lord Of Tetris

Twin Twist, I'm not sure if I'm misreading your quote, but I think V's "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" from the walking-out-of-the-fire flashbacks was above and beyond the "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" from Episode 3. James Earl Jones' "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" was just laughable. Vader sounded and posed just like Homer Simpson for that one. However, I thought V's was blood-curdling and makes you feel for the guy's suffering.

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    LOT, you totally missed the point ;) 

TT's talking about how the end contained a lot of contemporary cliches which undermined the credibility of the source material.

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Booya. Hollywood schmaltz.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    let me put it this way. it was the wachowski brothers. i knew it was going to be populist fodder with and edge.

but from what ive read in other forums, it was meaty enough to engender discussion, albeit at times for the wrong reason (for instance dodgy representation). nevertheless, its hard to ask more than that from hollywood these days.

14. Gort

Was there a connection between V and the guy who hosted the show? They both made her the eggs in toast thing for breakfast and they both had a bunch of contraband. Where they brothers? Lovers? Did the comic make any connections?

15. coffeeg0dd

coffeeg0dd Lurker

Personally I felt that in the comic Evey had a much better progression, sure she was a weak, timid victim at the beginning of the book but having gone through the ordeal she sufffers throughtout the book she comes out stronger, more take charge and more in control of her life. The book really is about Evey's progression more than about V( who is really an unchanging character, not one dimensional but certainly non-progessive)so I think that making her a stronger character from teh outset weakens that development.

I relaly didn't like the whole virus subplot becasue it makes the 'villians' well villans, they are in the worng because they killed people and used that to trick people into voting them into power. Firstly it weakens the point of the people voting them into power. and secondly it shifts V's position form Terrorist anarchist to righter of wrongs, making him a much less ambigious character.

I also didn't liek the addition of a 'love story' between Evey and V. It really takes away the relentless, ruthless singled minded purposefulness of V.

Also did anyone notice the complete continuity screw up : The camp where V and Valerie were experimented on was run by Norse fire and containted all the people they felt were unfit for thier england. Thsi is also where the St Mary's Virus was created. Now if this concentration camp was creaetd and set up by Norse fire , they would need to be in power. But if they got to power by using the virus to fake terrorist attacks. That means they had the virus before the came to power, but if they couldn't set up said camp before they came to power. Where did they engineer the virus?

16. Gort

I wondered about that as well. I think the party had come to power due to unrest in the world, but they didn't have full, dictatorial control at this point. I assume they rounded up the people for that prison as terrorists or some other, similar designation.

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    that was gordon. no, gordon was an entirely different character in the movie, but both version provided shelter for evey before her 'abduction'.

nah, gordon is just used a red herring as a clue to V's identity.