V-22 Osprey role?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by alec.zander, Mar 25, 2007.

1. alec.zander

alec.zander Well-Known Member

I was watching the TV program Planet Earth on discovery HD and thinking about transformers (the latter of which I do nearly all the time), and I thought the V-22 would make an awesome transformer!

It'd be beautiful. The huge blades could fold back (like Blackout's main rotor), and the wings would end up as angel-type wings with on the back of the bot, with the rotor blades as huge primary feathers. Arms and legs coming out of the fuselage mass!

Of course, I'm partial to thinking that'd be one of the most bad-ass transformations out there. Check this out, from the naval carrier-stowable version.

[​IMG]

Here's some comparo figures, for TF's and alt-modes we know for sure are in the movie.

Vehicle..................... V-22..............F-22..........MH-53
    Length..................... 57'.................62'............88'
    Height......................17'.................16'.............25'
    Wingspan.................46'.................44'............72'
    Rotor diameter..........38'................. -..............72' (aka wingspan)
    Weight (pounds).......30-60k..........31-80k......32-46k

Judging by this (not that its worth a whole lot), a V-22 transformer (in the film's universe) might end up being about as big as Starscream, that is, smaller than Blackout.

2. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

For what it's worth, I think an Osprey TF would be a GREAT addition for the movie. *sigh* Maybe for the sequel?

3. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

I've always thought the Osprey would make an awesome Transformer.

I even had a (crude) drawing of one some years back. Unfortunately it wasn't too dissimilar to the GoBot version which is where I got the idea for it. I don't think I have the drawing for it anymore, but if IIRC I also had the rotors like wings on the back, except they didn't fold up.

4. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    The best part is, next year the USAF is supposed to be replacing the Pave Low with Ospreys.

5. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

My main question is, who would it be?

I can only see it being an Autobot because it's an unarmed transport, and the Decepticons are all about the bang bang. I don't want to say Jetfire or any of the Ariel bots, cause the Osprey isn't a jet, but I can't think of too many air based Auto-bots other then them. Maybe Skylinx? =x

6. alec.zander

I see. Well, since we see a pair of V-22s in the trailer, what do you think their role is in the film?

Although: If you've got spoilers, don't say too much!

7. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    They can arm it the same way they arm the Chinook and Stallion series (of which the Pave Low - remember Blackout? - is one): A machine gun firing out the rear ramp.

8. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
  9. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    Yea, I beleive the hands would be the blades if their was one as well...or rotary style like Barricades hands are when in battle mode!!

I think it would make a very menacing vortex, I just think that because another helicopter...is kinda like destroying blackouts punch lines...:lol 

that are some good old decepticnon rivalary in the group bwahahhaah blackout vs vortex!!!

10. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

That little toy is awsome!

11. Caterwaul

It might be a transport, but it's still a MILITARY Transport VTOL. And they're working on ways of arming it even now. :) 

12. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I can imagine a weapons mounted V-22 being called called an AV-22, with chain guns mounted to the side and 'possibly' some 15mm cannon. If a black hawk helicopter can travel at the same speed as a V-22 then forget a weapons mounted V-22. The military will just use the Black Hawk to provide cover while the V-22 deploys.

13. 5m3rk

5m3rk Member

It would make and awesome transformer - ... maybe it is (SPOILER!!! It could be Megs alter form in the sequel - Or maybe when they dump all those parts off the aircraft carrier ... maybe something (or megs) will scan one ??? ) but who knows...

14. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

A fair idea. Only real issue is how the thing keeps crashing...

15. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Yeah, Ospreys kinda suck.

16. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    But they LOOK cool, right?

17. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    i'd say Silverbolt (G1 Aerialbots) could be an Osprey easy. Didn't he used to be a transport on Cybertron before coming to Earth? Granted, he wouldn't be fast like a Concorde anymore, but the rest of the Aerialbots could cover his butt

18. Caterwaul

It's probably the most mechanically complex piece of gear out there. That's the problem. Helicopters by themselves are high maintenance as is. Combine that with all the tilt rotor gear and you're looking at a maintenance nightmare.

And in the end, that's all that really matters. :D 

19. Boolatron

Boolatron Leader of the Boolacons

From an Aircraft (with an emphasis on rotary wing) maintainer's Stand-point.....

the Osprey is a Nightmare. I have worked in rotary-wing for a while now on 4 different airframes (UH-3H Sea King, MH-60S Knighthawk, P-3 orion(fixed wing), and a little bit on MH-53 super Stallions). All a helicopter is is ONE BIG MOVING PART. anyone who has worked with machinery of any type knows that Moving Parts = Breakage.

Now... You mix all the Problems with keeping a Helo flying AND all the problems of keeping a Fixed-wing bird flying... and, my friends, I give you, the Osprey.

This is probably the main reason they were not in the movie. lot of man-hours (somewhere in the low 100s) go into just ONE flight hour for those birds.

plus they are still in the design and testing stages. the first squadron was recently commissioned, but at this point, everything is trial-and-error.

but thats not to say we wont see them in subsequent installments :thumb 

20. alec.zander

hahaha great sig.

But what you mean they are not in the movie. They're probably not transformers, but in the trailer don't we see 2 V22s flying into the sunset or something?