Fan Art: UV texturing 3d transformers?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ALPHA TRION, Jan 27, 2007.

1. ALPHA TRION

ALPHA TRION Member

Greetings all Transformer Fam
    I'm a 3d modeler and I'm good with modeling, but I suck with texturing. I know how to do basic texturing, and I know how to uv unwrap, but when I unwrap my model, do I get crossed with the specular, bump, and displacement maps. I also need to know wich one I put details as for as rust, dirt etc on. I use 3ds max 8. Thanks for all feedback.

2. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:

while im no expert...on the software I use Specular uses black and white values from a map to control the specular highlights on the model( sorta like where the light will be reflected off the object and to what extent) Bump uses black and white values for calculations that simulate irregularities in the surface of your model...(for example..golf ball divets, the bumbs are simulated by the maps and do not actually affect geometry) and finally displacement uses black and white values to actually distort the geometry depending on the tessalation of the mesh..

So diffuse is the channel you would put your actual colored map and the bump channel could have the same map in black and white for the rough look of rust, nicks, scratches etc...or thats how it works for me anyway...but diffuse is the actual color map channel...

3. ALPHA TRION

ALPHA TRION Member

Thanx Simian, that's sorta what I figured, I just have'nt really dived into texturing. One more question though. When I paint my textures, do I paint the highlights, or do I just paint the basic colors, and the details, and the rest is generated automatically?

4. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If your modeling low poly models, especially for games, then painting highlights is a good idea. If your just doing normal models for still renders or animation, painting shadows is usually all you need. They don't need to be absolute shadows, just shading to seperate the different "levels" on the object. :) 

Take a look at Mr Ray's or Showster's works, here on the board. They are one of the best texture painters I have seen here. :thumb 

Showster's current work:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=120360

Mr. Ray's WW HotRod:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=96788

5. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    you can do it either way..I find it easiest to let the render software do the lighting and shadowing....

6. Mr Ray

Mr Ray Well-Known Member

Yea, it really depends on the type of model u are making.
    A lil info on game models, next gen game models (360) will differ from older game models (ps2). Next gen models tend to use less painted diffuse maps and rely on the normal map for its shadows (normal map is made from a high poly model then projected onto a normal map which is then applied to a low poly model), whereas a model for a ps2 for example rely heavily on the painted diffuse map for its detail.

Heres a diffuse map im working on for starscream, al start a new thread later on when i get more done on stuff like the spec and bump map which should give u an idea of what my type of modeling/texturing is about.

Edit: thnx for the nice comment Venks :) 

[​IMG]

7. ALPHA TRION

ALPHA TRION Member

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Thanx Mr. Ray, Quick question. I notice you only painted half the texture for starscream's face. Is this because you're modeling half the face, or because your mirroring the texture? And do you select the polys for the specific area you want to texture and give it it's own material i.d. ? for example If you're painting his chest. Do you model the parts seperate or do you use the multi/subobject material to do the different textures on the area?

8. Showster

Showster Well-Known Member

ALPHA TRION: - Face texture is mirrored onto the geometry to save texture space. Works a treat for symmetrical objects like transformers. You can use this technqiue on arms, legs etc...

Material ID's and Sub objects are useful, but generally in low poly work it depends on what your game engine supports.

For example you can have a multi-sub object for head, torso and lower meshes but for the case of starscream / transformers I've worked on I only use 1 ID channel due to engine parametters.

Hope that helped.

Greg

9. ALPHA TRION

ALPHA TRION Member

Thanx Showster, that helped a lot dude.

10. Optimus Prime Super Mode

Optimus Prime Super Mode Autobots

hmmm looks like they anwsered it for me. What modeling are you doing, is it a fully highly detailed model or loy poly model?

11. ALPHA TRION

ALPHA TRION Member

It's a high poly model. One of Lion-0 from the thundercats, and one of Marvel's the Black Panther.

12. Optimus Prime Super Mode

Optimus Prime Super Mode Autobots

Ok then you have two options really for texturing if you want to save yourself some time apply Normal bump mapping to look like metal panels. Or you would just model it in really high detail and just apply a stranded colour with some specular maps ect for desired effect. Either way works :) 

13. ALPHA TRION

ALPHA TRION Member

Kool I'll give these a try. Where do you guys get those neat panel lines for the metal textures?

14. ALPHA TRION

ALPHA TRION Member

^^