USM Re-Launch

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Boggs6ft7, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

HATE the artwork, specifically SM's round head.

Story was pretty good, especially the end. I have a hard time believing he is dead, but still seemed like a good opener..... If I can just get past the artwork.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Won't be reading it. After the utter shite that was dripped onto the pages of Ultimatum, my interest in the Ultimate Universe is gone for good.

3. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Admittedly, I had the same opinion after reading Ultimatum myself... However, I flipped through the first issue when it came out to check out what post Ultimatum looked liked and actually decided to get it. Like Boggs6ft7, I'm no fan of the artwork but Bendis does know how to tell a good story, even after the crap Ultimatum put the Ultimate Universe through.

4. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sigh, why is it we as fans continue to support industries that cannot come up with compelling, well written stories. Ultimatum was bullet straight through the heart of the Ultimate universe. IMO the Ultimate universe had been going down hill for a while, much like a cancer patient close to the end. At this point is there any point in trying to revive it? Marvel lost me on every title except for Amazing Spider-Man and New Avengers, and they aren't very far from getting me to drop those. Seriously, read something good. Go read Blackest Night. END RANT!

5. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Speaking of supporting companies that cannot come up with compelling, well written stories... Amazing Spider-Man lost me back with OMD and I haven't looked back on that decision. The Ultimate Universe I feel at least has a chance to rebuild itself now that Loeb's mindless death and destruction rampage is over in that universe. But I have to say I'm extremely disappointed with Marvel's story decisions over the past few years. I've dropped most of the titles I had been getting from them.

DC on the other hand I'd agree is putting out the best comic currently on shelves with Blackest Night.

6. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Lost interest with Ultimate Spider-Man pretty much after Bagley left the title. Immonen was a good replacement, but once that Ultimatum nonsense hit, I dropped Ultimate Spider-Man and have no desire to go back. I've enjoyed Bendis' writing since issue #1 but enough's enough. It's really more about dumping Marvel than Ultimate Spider-Man.

7. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Er. Dead? Isn't he alive and kicking in the first issue? Making out with Gwen Stacy, police love him, etc. Or did I miss something.

8. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll get this, since I did find Ultimate Spidey good, and I've enjoyed Bendis fresh take on Spidey's history.
    The art work has been a little hit or miss recently, but no where near as bad as some of the art on Ultimate Xmen

9. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Im picking it up with gf sometime on the weekend.

and hope ultimatum didnt taint my love for ultimate spidey too much...

10. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    I'll continue to read it. I love what Bendis does with this cast. He can't help USM was forced into the Ultimatum storyline. I think he did pretty well with what he was given to work with considering.

11. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

"HE" is the person that is thrown out the window. I was trying not to spoil the issue.

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Very good issue. The art is tolerable. I love seeing Peter with Gwen again. Johnny Storm as a cast member is awesome. Hopefully, they'll bring in Iceman too. Just it isn't worth $3.99 an issue. Thankfully, I'm buying online so it only costs me $2 and some change, but I just don't how people can buy this in the LCS. Not for that price and 10% discount.

13. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Still not sure if I want to continue reading Ultimate. I love USM, but Ultimatum and Ultimates 3 have totally destroyed everything, and even left a big stain on Spidey...will have to look into it when I'm in the comic shop.

Funny how a while back I knew pretty much everything about USM and now I didn't even know there was a relaunch and a new artist..

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Really not interested.

First there was Hulk asking Wolverine which of his legs he should eat.
    Then there was Wolverine's head on the table talking to Nick Fury.

Then there was Ultimatum or "How to Make Seven Heroes Go Pop per Page" and whatever interest I still had has been destroyed. I don't know why they felt like they needed to clean house. Was Ultimate Daredevil really complicating the stories?
    But after such a showcase of bizarre gore I don't want to support Marvel on this.

It's not so much that I found it distasteful -but after throwing away a decade plus worth of reading I have no faith in Marvel to respect the new stories either.

15. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Yea, but the story AND art were shit in that.

Anyway, the story was good, the art was garbage. But I support the title. I only read Ultimates and Spidey in the Ultimate line and I'm glad, those are the titles that survived.

16. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I will continue to follow USM and I'll start following Ultimate Avengers now that Miller is back.

17. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some of the stories were ok, but the majority were shit.

18. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    The majority of the stories were good. There are more good issues of Ultimate X-Men than bad issues. It's unfortunate the series ended on such a low note.

The turning point was when Kirkman took over. He just rehashed 90's X-Men into the Ultimate format. Up till that point we had some incredible stories. Bendis and Vaughan were fantastic.

19. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm sticking with this and from what I've been told, ball head spidey will get a normallish head soon (it was worse originally)..

I REALLY friggin hope they explain what happened in the time between the end of Ultimatum and UCSM #1