Customs: Using Vector Prime's sword for Predaking?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by kobayashi maru, Nov 9, 2005.

1. kobayashi maru

kobayashi maru Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Predaking's so impressive visually, but it looks like he's holding a gold toothpick for a sword. So I tried Vector Prime's sword and it looks pretty good, I just need a spare to paint. I have a lot of Testor's model paint, would that work well on Transformers platic?

Also, would a cybertron version sword work alright or should I try to hunt down a galaxy force one? I only have the Japanese version so I've never seen how bendy the American sword is first hand.

2. dak

dak I am DAK! The customizer!

News Credits:
    rubberized TF parts are hard to paint, only because paint has a hard time drying on they type of surface. I'm not sure what matereal the GF version is mad out of, but I don't think the Cybertron version will work. Great idea tho!

3. REACTOR

REACTOR Well-Known Member

I know a lot about paint so this might help. First off, do not use any spray products. The xylene and other hings like that there react funny with the plastic. Instead, first use a shellack. It is an alcohol based type of product. It is used kinda like polyurethane, but applies very thinly. Painters also use it over knots in wood to keep the tanic acid from bleeding through and ruining what ever paint they are going to put over it. Works well for covering mildew stains etc...
    It comes in 3 different types.
    1.A stain killer product that looks and acts like white paint primer.
    2. Clear/
    3.Clear/amber
    # 1 or # 2 would work. Amber is not nec.
    Anyway, apply a thin coat, allow to dry thoroughly. Apply a second coat.
    And perhaps a third. Each time buffing slightly with (OOOO) steel wool.
    Then apply your paint. Do not use anything Alkyd based. Like Testors. Model paints, which are water based or resin based which are used on those mini gaming models work nice.

Safety note. Use in well ventilated area. Stinks to high heaven and WILL give you a bugger of a headache.

4. dak

dak I am DAK! The customizer!

News Credits:
    Even if all that worked and dried on the rubber, couldn't it crack at the slightest bend? From what i can see, anything that's going to dry as a hard coting has a chance of cracking and then chipping away because the plastic is so soft. but then a paint that dries like rubber could work...

5. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Sounds interesting. Post pics once you finish. :thumbs2: 

6. REACTOR

REACTOR Well-Known Member

Well if you are real careful, pehaps it wont crack. Aww hell Just remold the thing in solid plastic.

7. kobayashi maru

kobayashi maru Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks Reactor and dak for your opinions! And of course, Magnus, I'll post pics whenever I get a finished product I'm happy with. (Might take a while.) Now to find some spare Vector Prime swords for cheap. My main concern was if the US version's sword was as bendy as, say, Mudflap's sawblade.