Using the actors/actresses' likeness to create CGI TF characters.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Cryptwire, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i've got to thinking about this after what James Cameron did for Neytiri played by Zoe Saldana in Avatar and Gollum in Lord of the Ring. in this case, i hope any future live-action Transformers movies use this technique of using the actor or actress's likeness, using their voices, and making them do the stunts to create the character. but for characters like Optimus and to some extent Megatron, they should still be voiced by the talents that made their character (Cullen, Welker).

i really like how ILM did Prime's face in the live-action movies. it is mechanical and robotic, yet organic and expressive. on the same token, i love how the Cybertronians can articulate their eyes and blink. it's a really good way of creating expressive characters out of robots. when i thought of robots, i used to think the Terminators, lifeless and emotionless, that is until 2007 when the alien robots from Cybertron that could think and feel made their live-action debut and changed my concept of what robots could be lol.

although the character designs for Transformers 2007 were excellent, i think they missed the mark with ROTF. i thought they missed a really great opportunity to create more iconic and strong TF characters. for instance, the fembots were so underused and they couldve been among what madre ROTF a lot better. i thought that was a golden opportunity to create and introduce a Lara Croft-esque fembot. the fembot designs were really underwhelming, that it just highlighted some of the things that were wrong in the live-action movies for me that i'd i guess ignored before since TF 2007 i thought was really good (to some extent the story, Starscream's face, some of the other design choices which couldve been far better, etc...). then, June 22, 2010, War for Cybertron came along and i mostly liked the design choices there, except i thought live-action Optimus design is still the best Optimus incarnation imho. also, this would go along with the live-action Optimus because in WFC, their faces are liquid metallic. it's good on video games and cartoons, but this also was the appeal of the live-action movies for me because their designs are more realistic. if they have a part on their body that was made of that, why couldnt other parts be made of the same mold too? thats why, i think future live-action movies could employ the great G1 based designs of the characters we've grown to love over the years just like what the WFC makers did, but maintaining the realism of the live-action movies (no liquid metallic faces - im sure theres a way of taking an actor or actress's face and simply make it the robotic/mechanical versions of themselves in a fashion similar to Prime's face in Bay's movies. they did it with Zoe Saldana for Neytiri and Andy Serkis for Gollum, they can do it in Transformers and see how our favorite actors and actresses look in their robotic version. besides, this would be a big chance to create real multi-dimensional characters. im all for seeing Arcee played by Megan Fox, The Rock as Cliffjumper, Chloe Moretz as Chromia [Hit Girl as Chromia FTW], Steven Seagal as Megatron, R. Lee Emmey as Ironhide, Scwarzenegger as Grimlock, Chuck Norris as Zeta Prime, etc... lol; no mass shifting of the characters; etc...).

i hope with future live-action movies (with the exception of Optimus and Megatron's voices maybe) take this route and use the actor/actress's likeness and stunts (and their voices) in crafting the CGI TF characters.

everyone else, unless a TF doesnt have a humanoid face, could be played by actors and actresses using their likeness, voice, stunts, etc. and translate it to CGI magic.

anyway, just my 2 cents.

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

No. No, no, no. No. Just... no.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    No, because when I look at, say, otpimus Prime, I see Optimus Prime. Likewise with Megatron, BB, STarscream etc. If they based them off of the actors/actresses, all I would see is that actor/actress as a robot, which would be super distracting.

4. Cuillere

Cuillere French Fries

News Credits:
    That's reminds me Ben Procter who use Brendan Gleeson face to do an early concept of Mixmaster head. :D 

Attached Files:

5. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seagal as Megatron??

What the HELL are you...

6. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    thats what im talking about :D 

7. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Elaborate much?

I also don't think the idea would work too well. What they do now is fine- I believe Cullen said during recording sessions they videotaped him and loosely based Prime's lip movements on his own. Used for the purposes of facial expression this is fine, but just keep in mind you would have to find a good physical and vocal match for a character. Welker nor Weaving are hulking, brooding men in reality. Motion capture, even if you used professional stuntmen in special effects marked suits, might not be ideal due to the varying design of the robots, and how some of them don't move the same way that humans do. You couldn't have movie Starscream done in that kind of process, how would the legs work?

Keep in mind, too, that having a name actor/actress play a CGI character doesn't always mean they'll be multi-dimensional. Maybe Patrick Stewart could give life to Ultra Magnus, but that doesn't mean the same for Megan Fox as Arcee. Besides, I'd like to think professional voice actors like Harnell and Adler know how to get the most out of a character with very few lines/screentime.

So, while you're suggestion is an intriguing one, I'm not sure if it would particularly work for Transformers.

8. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Fair enough.

This is the worst idea. I don't even. Steven Seagal as Megatron? Chuck Norris as Zeta Prime? I mean... WHAT?

No. No, no, no. No. Just... no.

9. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    you cant see Steven Seagal as Megs?? you know he plays a bad guy in the new movie machete. dont know about the voice, but if it doesnt work, that can be dubbed by welker or hugo weaving or frank tatasciore, etc.. (like they did to darth vader, david prowse did the stunts, james earl jones did the voice)

10. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

It doesn't matter if he's playing a hero or a villain, Seagal plays the same guy in every movie he's in. He's only got one facial expression and he always whispers. Not very Megatronish.

11. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    lol probably a different actor would do. its not necessarily those actors i wish playing those characters (well maybe except for megan fox and chloe moretz and arnie), but you get the idea. patrick stewart as ultra magnus would be awesome. how about michael cera as starscream?

12. mttyns

mttyns Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess with Avatar, the Na'vi have the same 'design', so giving each character a face based on the respective voice actor's features is a good way of distinguishing the. Similarly, Gollum in LOTR needed an organic, near human face. Really Andy Serkis played the character, but the CGI was needed to give the form of a being whose life had extended well beyond its natural limits,

With Transformers all the characters are so individually and purposefully designed that it's a different case altogether.

13. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :eek: 

Ahnuld as Grimlock I'll give you, based on pure comedic factor alone.

14. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Are you just pulling names out of a hat?

15. Cyber Star

Cyber Star Why so Geewun, Loser?

no

16. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    ^Is this a joke thread? :p 
    Nah, seriously..back on topic: Id much prefer CG over actor's using their motion capture tech any day!

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I would be against that idea, because the process would only be used for Autobots (because it's been stated that the Decepticons are intentionally more alien-level ugly compared to the more human like Autobot faces), and the heads of the Autobots are seen close enough to make the faces out are times few and far between (Jazz never even got a close up) that I don't think it would be worth the time and effort.

18. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    not every Decepticon has a face of a monster, but because of the live-action movies, thats become the perception, sort of like that blue optics good, red optics, evil.. Starscream has a face and the rest of the Seeker. Megs has a face. Slipstream (Emma Stone i think would be a perfect fit for this characte). Blackarachnia. Breakdown. Barricade. etc... granted some of them may have a monstrous face, but it shouldnt be all of them. even those without one could simply have faceplates (except for grimlock, soundwave, etc. because those are iconic). btw, another thing i like with the live-action movies is that Optimus has a face but having a faceplate, still retaining his iconic look, although i wont dig the same thing for grimlock and soundwave.

19. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    If the based ANY Starscream on Michael Cera, I'm rolling up to Hasbro, beating down Aaron Archer, finding the director, beating him down, finding the concept artists, beating them down, and the finally, kicking Cera off a bridge. HELL NO.

I like this idea. But they have to keep iconic parts of the characters face, like the seeker helmet, megs bucket head, Ops face shield. Yeah it would add character if the made a robot version of the voice actors face.

I'd nominate Denis O'Hare's face to robotisized for Megatron.

[​IMG]

20. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I have to say I honestly don't see the point. The ILM crew have done an amazing job as is.

As for just characters being better utilized and having more personality, then sure.