Using stickers on G1 toys... a right of passage

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Okay, so G1 stickers tend to be a sticky subject for people (pun intended). Some hate to sticker, others love it.

Up until today, I was really thinking of just letting my G1s go free without any stickers. But for whatever reason, today I decided to start stickering up the figures I just bought.

First up to bat was Skids. He looked ok without stickers. Then I started, one sticker at a time using a razor blade, some q-tips and a pair of tweezers. I was meticulous with my stickering. One by one, the sticker had to line up just right. It had to be centered just right. With each sticker he came to life. Each little sticker adding another detail he was missing. 45 minutes later he was done. I stood back and looked at him. He looked fantastic.

So then I proceeded to do Tracks, Silverstreak and Inferno. With each I followed the same steps, everything had to be perfect. Little did I know, there would be road blocks and barriers along the way. Sliding mechanism for instance. Those shook me up a bit, especially once I realized I had to put the sticker up higher then originally placed as they were blocking the slide from occurring, hence stopping the transformation and hurting the sticker. So I had to undo at least a couple of stickers and stick them back on. Then there are the dreaded area's where you know the sticker is going to come off soon ruining it's little perfection. Why must a screw stick out like that?

But after each figure, through the trials and tribulations. Through the looking and relooking, the sticking and resticking I came to a conclusion. Putting stickers on a TFer is not a chore to do. It is something enjoyable. It is something relaxing. It ties us in with all the little kids taking their time putting these stickers on 25+ years ago. It is truly a right of passage that should not be overlooked and ignored. It's another one of those small things that make G1 as great as it is. It is another one of those things that is lost today, on today's figures.

So next time you think, "you know what, I am not going to sticker these, the stickers will just peel." Instead of leaving it, sit there and do a whole sticker sheet. Try to challenge yourself and make it perfect, then let me know if stickering them was a chore, or if you really care if they will peel eventually. Or let me know if you felt the way I described here and gone through your own right of passage?

Just my :2c: 

2. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
  3. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well, that's kinda how I felt doing them today. It is something that is missing today. It does tie you in a bit more with the figure. I bet it is part of what made these toys so likable back in the day. Sitting there and stickering them up, getting them just right so you can play with them. There is something to be said for the whole ritual.

4. AMG

AMG Old School

Every time I sticker up a reissue it takes me back in time. I always take my time and make sure every sticker is perfect, so it can take a while. But man, I really enjoy doing it.

5. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love stickering up tf's
    it's 3 months later when you forget a sticker is near a joint and you shred it off that I flip out and curse them

6. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't mind stickers as long as they're over (relatively) flat surfaces. When stickers require folding over corners (thinking of those stickers on the G1 Inferno mold's front lower legs) or molded detail is irritating though. That's why I'm not thrilled with some of the sticker choices on the Prime Arms Micron toys; I mind where some go, not that I have to put them on at all.

7. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I totally agree with you. That's one of my favorite things about getting reprolabels for a G1 figure. Not only does it look so much better with fresh, sharp stickers, but it's a kind of bonding with the figure that you don't get just by purchasing it.

8. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

Unfortunately my perfection/symmetry OCD mixed with my fists o' ham equals never satisfied with sticker jobs. Stickers to me are a frustrating affair where I generally add a flaw to a otherwise fine TF. Its a shame too because there are some reprolabels that I prefer over the original paint job (looking at you classics Tracks).

9. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    agreed, i can't wait to reprolabel my menasor

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I enjoy putting stickers on. I do. I agree the actual act of applying them is fun (in most cases). I just hate everything that comes after.

I do really care that they will peel eventually. I guess it's fine for normal kids who get into Transformers for a couple years, then lose interest and grow out of them like a normal person. But pretty much all of us here will own our toys long enough that we will have to go through the dark side of the sticker experience.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    A few weeks ago, I reprolabeled my Trypticon. It took quite some time, but it was FUN. I only wish the sheet had the matching chrome stickers for the eyes. The ones on the sheet just wouldn't suffice. Other than that, the labels are spot on.

Predaking, Menasor, and Thunderwing all went through this same process. TONS OF FUN. My Thunderwing really couldn't look better now unless it was actually fresh out of the box with the actual label sheet. I've really been thrilled with these as of late.

Also, great op, and the thread title fits PRECISELY.

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, pasting the stickers can be fun. However, I still prefer some of my G1 toys to be bare like G1 Megatron. If I recall, he had a chest sticker of sorts but in the end, I felt the Decepticon symbol was more than sufficient. Good thread by the way! :) 

13. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still have a G1 Reissue Optimus Prime with a full sticker sheet just sitting here... I've been debating for 2 years if I'm going to sticker him or not....

14. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I fully agree with all of this. In most cases i don't ever mind a little bit of sticker wear. I have a vintage toy robot collection - whats the problem with a few of them looking old? Only in extreme cases do I resticker them.

Oh and OP, it's RITE of passage, not right.

15. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Yes! I totally agree with the topic starter!
    I really enjoy stickering up G1's: especially the big ones like Metroplex or Trypticon, but even the cassettes can be a very nice way to pass the time, concentrating on just one thing and forgetting everything else. It's not something I could do every day, but some quiet days are just perfect for making G1's look perfect again. Luckily, I always have a little backlog of TF's with the appropriate Reprolabels.

16. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I was looking at my Trypticon and was thinking he needed some reprolabeling, so I may have to do that soon. I just wonder if I should do the upgrade set or the original.

Also, I never knew it was rite of passage. I guess you learn something new everyday!

17. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I have very fond memmories of christmas '84 stickering up the remaining 2/3 of the line I got as gifts. That and cutting out their tech specs. I spent all day doing it.

I even remember them all......

Optimus
    Trailbreaker
    Sideswipe
    Sunstreaker
    Wheeljack
    Mirage
    Bluestreak
    Brawn
    Gears
    Bumbebee (because the Bumbebee I already had was actually Bumble'jumper)
    Cliffjumper
    Jetfire
    Starscream
    Thundercracker
    Frenzy/Laserbeak

The only two I didn't get completeing the '84 line was Ratchet and Ironhide..... because I thought they looked stupid. Near the end of '85 I did however buy a Ratchet so I could have at least one of them. Finally got my first ever Ironhide loose in '02 as a gift.

I have to agree, putting stickers on re-issues really takes you back. I was lucky enough to get a MISB gold box Optimus Prime (italian '90 re-issue I think)..... which I promptly openned and stickered up. I even opened a MISB GIG Diaclone Mirage and applied his stickers..... not many people get such a pleasure.

wait, I have a picture.
    [​IMG]

18. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    I had three slightly junky Trypticons, which I combined to form one excellent quality and 100% complete Trypticon. It was a difficult choice which sticker set I would use for him, but in the end I went with the X15 upgrade set (and the one for Full Tilt), and I haven't looked back since. The original stickers are severely lacking in detail, compared to the upgrade set.
    I can highly recommend it!

[​IMG]
    (Picture is link to Flickr.com set)

19. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

I love stickering new Transformers. The only negative experiences I've ever had were my reissue Hot Rod's thigh stickers (I never considered sliding them under the shin piece before sticking them), and the "not sticky enough" stickers for my reissue Insecticons and Sky Lynx. I later learned that it's best to wash toys to get rid of some film or residue or something left from the manufacturing process.

Other than that, it's such a joy to do.

20. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used to hate stickers because they get worn and you never get them on just right. I love how they do the tampo style now.