Using Only Existing Gimmicks, What Would You Have Done Differently?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mwm, Apr 21, 2017.

1. mwm

mwm Well-Known Member

It's the '80's again and G1 is taking off. You're creative, but not overly so. This means you can do things differently, but only with gimmicks/sub-teams with the engineering we actually got back then. No new things (ie, no "I'd add GI Joe, MASK, etc. characters to the line!", "I'd make them super articulated!", nor "I'd give them minicon/cyberkey action features!") -- but within the confines of what we actually did get, you can go nuts. Create combiners from groups that weren't combiners, change up how the sub-teams/gimmicks were divided, whatever. I actually have two:

1. Headmasters/Targetmasters/Powermasters Pretenders - I would not have done the "Giant robot in giant humanoid shell" gimmick for Pretenders. I didn't like it as a kid. Even as a kid, I thought the *masters should have been the Pretenders. I always thought of the little guys as robots, because people just don't bend like that. So I would have made the various *masters teams and given the headbots, gunbots, and motorbots the Pretender shells. This means the 'bots and 'cons that were Pretenders could have been given better robot and alt modes, and maybe been rolled into the Targetmasters teams.
    2. Related to (1.), I would have made some figures, particularly figures like PM Prime, Head/Target/Powermasters. I know that was sort of the original plan for PM Prime, but several of the larger characters released at that time would have been released with all three play features instead of just the one or none they got.

2. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I probably would have gone with the Japanese Headmaster explanation, with the little guys being robots that use larger, non-sentient robots as battle mechs, or even as prostheses, enabling them to interact with regular Transformers at their level.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I'd have tried to keep vehicle scale. Nightbeat, Getaway, Point blank and every other car after 1985 would have been in scale with the Diaclones.

I'd have upsized of the Combiners. Streetwise, Lightspeed, Dead End, Onslaught and everyone else would have been in scale with the Diaclones.

Every jet would have been larger.

Every Nebulan would be capable of driving the vehicle mode of their partners.