Customs: Using a vise to put pins back in

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Boggs6ft7, May 30, 2009.

1. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Not sure if anyone else has tried this, but it seems to work well for me.

I use a bench vise to put pins back into some of my figures. After they have been painted, I'm always weary of taking a hammer back to them to put pins back in, so I stared putting the figures in my vise to "push" the pins back in. I usually protect the painted side with a paper towel or something and then slowly tighten the vise to push the pin back into the figure. You may have to do a little tapping at the end to countersink the pin, but its usually minimal. Its jus a machine press, on a much smaller scale.

It won't work for all pins, sometimes they are in places that don't allow you to fit it inside the vice.

2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Good idea! Another similar way is to use very narrow channel locks and genlty squeeze the pin back in.

3. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What i do is get a bit of cloth and a pair of pliers. Wrap the cloth around the pin, make sure theres cloth between the pliers and the pin and the other side of the object the pin has to be insterted into and squeeze. The cloth stops the pliers from scrating the paint, simples! Only works for smaller things though but its great if you dont have the space for a vice.

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I just use pliars, and I use a worn out sock to pad them so I don't damage the parts' paint.

5. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup, pliars are a wonderous tool. I ussualls just wrap them in a lot of masking tape. I wanna get a terricloth to do that with though. Normally I just make what I'm not painting off though.

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I use pliers and wrap the tips in electrical tape.

7. DanHibiki

DanHibiki Dan Couga Mellencamp

I just use this c-clamp I found that has a small tip but opens to about 2-3 inches. Fits in most spots. Pad the side that butts up against the plastic. You have to be patient though or else you'll end up taking the whole pin and slot off the toy, then you get really pissed and scream a lot of very very bad words :p