Using a single picture of many items for multiple auctions: Good practice?

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Tenebrouser, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

What I do is put six or seven items in a group and take a single picture. I then sell each item in individual auctions. It saves me time and energy to sell this way, and I make it a point to state multiple times in the item description exactly what they're getting in the auction.

I've been selling items like this for seven years and have NEVER had a problem....... until last night. This morning, I get a bitching, misspelled-throughout email that she didn't really want the auction because she thought she was getting all of the items in the picture.

Somehow, this chick manages to miss THREE times in the item title and description that ONLY A MISB CYBERTRON JETFIRE IS FOR SALE!!!! I even mention separately how none of the other items in the picture are included in the auction. I know there's always a few people out there that are careless and don't read, so I always try to be as clear as possible. Nobody who buys things from me ever seems have a problem and things most always run smoothly.

So, the general message I get from her this morning is that I'm ripping people off by doing this. She's clearly pissed off for having to fork over $75, which includes shipping. If the entirety of the picture were for sale, the auction would have gone for more than double. This person appears to be new to Ebay, having joined last November and only has 8 feedback, though all are positive.

My feedback is impeccible aside from a single retaliatory blotch given to me by some bunghole a couple years ago, and I have a couple hundred.

I have since given her a chance to get out of the auction with her money back and zero feedback because I'm fair that way, even though it's an annoying setback.

My question:

What's your opinion on this scenario? It's practiced all the time and doesn't seem to be a problem amongst other Ebay members.

Should I scrap this way of selling or chalk this auction up to a dingbat who can't read?

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

It's pretty much your own fault. Sorry, but if you have a digital camera, then that is the height of laziness and the problem is yours, not the buyers.

I'm amazed this is the first time it's ever happened to you.

3. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Me, I'd blame the dingbat lady. She's new to Ebay and made the mistake of bidding without reading the Description first. Her fault, not yours. Though I will admit taking a Pic of a bunch of stuff and only selling one thing in the pic is pretty lazy. You could at least use Photoshop or even MSpaint to isolate each item into it's own image after taking the initial pic and still save some effort.

Regardless of that, dumb lady didn't read. Her fault, not yours. Read before you bid, always.

4. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

I had a similar experience of a Newbayer reading the title of my auction and clicking Buy It Now without reading the description. Totally Unreasonable Mentally Defficient New Ebayer=My First Negative.
    If you could count on all Ebayers to thoroughly read and understand your whole auction description, I would say don't worry about it and that lady is the exception.
    Being realistic, I think if you want to avoid future problems of the same variety, you should picture only and all items included in that specific auction.

I don't think you did anything wrong, I just think you have to take into account the type of people that are described at the beginning of this post.

5. skyywelker

skyywelker Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's her fault for not reading but I've gotta be honest, using pictures like that is misleading. I know you were not trying to be misleading on purpose but it's tricky when dealing with people who are not that familiar with ebay. Especially if you use a gallery picture (not sure if you did) you will get all sorts of people clicking on the auction not realizing which items you are selling. Like Twin Twist pointed out, I am really surprised you have not had a problem before.

6. Tenebrouser

Laziness aside, it's technically no fault of mine since I got paid and Ebay probably wouldn't bail her out.

It hasn't happened to me because really, you'd have to be an idiot not to understand what you're getting in an auction I list. I can't be more clear.

I guess your response makes me realize that nothing can be taken for granted. I'm just going to have to list things individually. Thanks for the input.

7. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    I try to avoid auctions where the seller does this. It screams laziness. If they can't be bothered to take seperate pictures then why would I think they would put in the effort to properly pack the item if I win?

8. Tenebrouser

I state exactly in my auctions how I'm going to pack the item and when I'm going to ship it. IMO, how well you can trust a seller comes down to feedback and how accurately they describe the auction. If a guy has 99.5% to 100% feedback with a few hundred auctions to his credit, he didn't get it through being dishonest and ripping people off.

Seriously, I learned something today. I guess I took for granted just how important the picture was.

Still, though, the chick is a dingbat.

9. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just read the auction before I buy, thats it. what better way to know what your getting. but I also pay attention to the pic too to see what I'm getting. if you dont do this the you may end getting something or not getting something that you expected. Its is easy as that. but you usually run into problems with the noobs on this stuff. I say its no ones ablsolute fault. just learn from your experience and try to better your auction next time.

10. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    I've been excited many times in the past when I see pictures of a bunch of items only to find out the textual description is for one of them. I say it's the buyer's fault for not knowing what they're buying, but at the same time you're gambling on a situation that is bound to arise.

I take group pictures for laziness purposes too but then I crop them with an image editing program. You may want track a free one down on the internets if you don't have one already.

11. Tenebrouser

I just went and changed one of my other auction pictures I had to cut out everything but the item that is being sold.

I'm all for avoiding confusion and honesty, but now that leads to another question:

Why on Earth would you bid on something without understanding perfectly what you're getting? If there's the least bit of confusion in auction I'm bidding on, then I simply don't bid. If the seller feedback isn't what I feel comfortable with, then I don't bid. Etc., etc.

I'm used to the multiple items per picture auctions because I've bought A LOT of baseball cards on Ebay. In fact, most sports card auctions are like that. That practice clearly doesn't correlate well to toy auctions.

12. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    You honestly don't know? Most people are just too lazy to read.

13. Tenebrouser

Edit: Nevermind.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    take a group picture, crop out everything not for sale.

15. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did you also label the one that's in the pick? Trendclick does the same with his auctions and puts numbers on all of the figures he's selling, then he'll tell you the number the guy is in the picture. I personally don't mind people like that, kinda makes it easier to see what else he has for sale. The thing to do is make the warning that it's only for one figure in bold, and at the large print they have.

16. Lion

Lion Will bite you!

Ebay:
    I personally do the same thing. Not really out of laziness, but convenience. It always says, "use same pic" (or something like that), so why not. I say "YOU ARE BIDDING ON ONLY THE (...) IN THE PIC" Never really had a problem. If anything, I get "how much is the (...) in the pic??"

17. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Its not about right or wrong. Its about putting as much money in your pocket as possible with each auction. If you want the best profit, make your auction easy for everyone. Make it what everyone would like to see with no big words and enticing, unique, clear photos. Easy and clear brings em back and gives your auctions a large audience on those closing minutes.

Don't suit it to someone like yourself. You're the only one not interested in buying it. :) 

18. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Sorry, I forgot about this thread. Sorry for zombification, but...

Yeah, I wasn't entirely intending to come off sounding like a total ass, but you're the seller, and you have a responsibility (to yourself) to be as absoloutely clear as possible about what's for sale. You might have non-engish speakers bidding or just the mentally retarded. You're risking bad feedback at the end of the day... I hate bad feedback :( 

19. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

Damn good read here.