USA Alternators vs. Japanese release?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by sparktower, Jul 5, 2009.

1. sparktower

sparktower More shelves plz

Ebay:
    I'm looking to buy Alternators Wheeljack, but here in Japan the BT-14 release of him is pretty expensive since it's kind of a rare find now...looks to be somewhere in the range of $120-$160. I've seen on ebay and the like where I could buy the USA release for considerably cheaper. My question is, is there a big difference in quality between the two? I love Wheeljack, so I don't wanna buy the USA version if it's no good compared to the BT-14.

2. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the only difference I know of between the two is that BT's have die-cast and Alts do not.

3. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

basically the alternators are the same, minus the die-cast parts. Alt Wheeljack was pretty rare here as well. He can be pretty pricey himself.

4. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

BT has chrome guns and wheels as well as a painted/differently styled head.

5. TransFan1996

TransFan1996 Well-Known Member

Bt has chrome and die cast metal parts,us is just plastick

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Really, I'd say that both are equally crap. Wheeljack is one of the worst figures in the Alt/BT line. The character doesn't fit as a Grimlock remold, the deco is terrible, and mine, at least, was far more prone to having bits fall off during transformation than Grimlock. I'd advise just skipping it entirely.

7. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

as much i love the BT and alts, i have to agree with switchblade. skip wheeljack, especially as an alt. just to add to what he said the engine gun paint apps leaves you asking if its a KO. get BT shockblast (shockwave) instead.

8. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say he was one of the worst of the Alt/BT line (in the bottom 50% for me), but I never felt Wheeljack worked as a Grimlock redeco either.

9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    In addition to diecast vs. plastic, Alternators Wheeljack has an unpainted head with very dark blue eyes, wheras Binaltech Wheeljack has a painted head with painted light blue eyes.

And Binaltech Wheeljack has a slightly retooled neck with a larger edge around the neck hinge.

10. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I wouldn't say Wheeljack was one of the worst Alts, so much as he was the single worst Alt. Anyhoo... it's a shame you weren't looking last year, Argos in the UK were desperately trying to shift Alt Wheeljack for £6. Ended up buying one to replace my first one when a piece broke off. Might be worth asking if anyone in the UK could hook you up with one for a reasonable price.

11. sparktower

sparktower More shelves plz

Ebay:
    Thanks for the nfo everyone...man, I'm bummed to hear it's so awful since the pictures of it look so cool. I really liked the head on it. Got Super Links (sp?) Wheeljack, which is awesome but I really don't like the shortened headfins and leave him in car mode all the time. Guess I'll have to think it over then.

12. FuRiOus_StyLZe

FuRiOus_StyLZe Hasbro can suck my nuts..

Don't let everyone here discourage you, I don't think he's awful. But I have both and the Binaltech version is better than the US release. If you can really afford it, and are a big wheeljack nut, I'd say go for it. He's pretty badass in alt mode, robot mode is kinda eh..but I still like him. ;) 

13. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

Wheeljack is one of my favorite ALTs. I think the color scheme and the head sculpt are great.

Get the BT if you can, the diecast and extra paint apps in bot mode are a nice touch. In alt mode though, Alt wheeljack looks almost as good.

14. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:

The mold isn't awful, but it is frustrating at times. The way the arms fold up is kind of tricky, and the lower arms have a tendency to pop off as well.

The mold probably suits Grimlock better than Wheeljack, but it's not necessarily the worst Alt/BT produced.

15. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I would say go with the cheaper one to see if you like the mold. Then if you do upgrade to the BT. I personally bought all the Bt's and only bought alternators when they did not make a BT for it. It was a lot priceier especially with shipping. I ended up paying 3 times as much for the BT. BUT I love the heft of diecast. I would definately get BT over Alternators. Just be careful, BT's tend to chip easy especially that mold for Grimlock. I heard horror stories of just transforming it out of the box and it chipping. You can always sell the alternator later if you decide you like the mold and upgrade, something I sometimes do when I'm on the fence.
    Just a thought.

16. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Wheeljack is squarely in the "huge difference" category. The alt and BT are night and day due to the BT's coat of paint on the car parts (even on the plastic).