US Road trip - help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Erector, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Hey all,

So me and my fiance are looking at coming across the big pond later this year for a couple of weeks for a bit of a road trip across the East Coast. The plan is to drive from Boston to Washington DC via NYC and a few other places, just generally see what there is to see, chill out, and have a good time :) 

Our problem appears to be the hotels. It's easy enough to find a cheap-ish hotel online and book it like that, but that kind of ruins the whole idea of our trip... we want to be able to just up and drive and see where the road takes us, not be pinned down to having to be at Hotel X for Y number of days.

So, how easy is it to find a reasonably priced hotel in those towns, and around? And can we just walk off the street into one?

And anyone got any suggestions what else we can do? :D 

Any input much appreciated, guys!

2. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    I would guess with the economy problems now you should have no problems finding places to stay. You might want to do a lot of general research for hotels in the general areas you will be, and just bring all the phone numbers with you.

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

The only problem I would see you having is coming to a town where there is some kind of festival or convention going on, then it would be hard to find a room. Louisville, KY has hte Hot Rod Nationals here and its damn near impossible to find a hotel room within 15 miles of the city when that is going on. I know you aren't coming that far inland, just using it for reference.

If you aren't going to plan ahead, I would suggest picking up some brochures when you come to the welcome centers of each state (I'm not sure how familiar you are with the interstate system here, but usually when you pass from one state to another, there is a rest stop with a welcom center that has a bunch of info about the state you just entered.) Usually you can find some good deals or coupons on rooms for local hotels or motels.

4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hey! I live in NY. :D  There's a love motel next to the Museum of Sex, I think you can just walk into those. ;)  Most hotels in the city, you need a reservation. But if you really want to live the city life, do what the bums do and sleep in the subway cars. Get the real feel of the American dream and it's cheap, only 1.25 pounds for a subway ride one way.

Oh and in N.Y. we have sales tax. My british friend, the one you met, he didn't understand why the items rang up more expensive then the price on the tag :lolol .

5. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Most hotels will let you just walk in and get a room with no problem if there's nothing important going on there like a convention or something. And it won't be too expensive at most places, and most of the time you won't end up at a Murder Inn or something. But it shouldn't be a problem! Probably in the larger cities you could shop around and get a good deal, but just keep an eye out for the typical chain hotels which offer pretty decent rates and accommodations.

I hope you guys have fun over here! Road trip yay!

6. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Should also check out the major sports team schedules for all the cities you are going to. If they have home games, finding a hotel/motel room could become a little more difficult.

7. michael_knight

michael_knight Well-Known Member

Don't drive through new jersey. Pointless waste of three hours. Instead, after you leave NYC, head to Pennsylvania and go south to Philadelphia. There's tons of stuff to do there, and DC is only a couple of hours away.

8. oddsey

oddsey Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman?

News Credits:

You've just made his day. :drool: 

But where's your missus gonna stay eh Jon?! ;) 

:D 

9. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

If you're planning on going south of New York and want to avoid trouble, just tell people your wife is also your sister.

10. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I'm terrified now, haha.

Philly was a possibility on our minitour anyway, so I guess we'll avoid NJ like the plague then, haha. Thanks for the suggestions though guys. Any big name hotel chains to look out for? I dunno if you guys have the same ones that we do over here. Holiday Inn etc.?

11. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Gotta love the historical irony in a Briton complaining about American taxes :D . We may have sales tax but the British have VAT. Although I do prefer their system in that the tax is already included in the price. Makes it a whole lot easier to throw a bunch of stuff in your cart and know if you have enough to pay for it all.

12. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Holiday Inn, Embassy Suites, Courtyard by Marriot, etc. Most major big name hotel chains have smaller hotels for business travelers and whatnot that are much cheaper.

If you're driving down the 95 there shouldn't be too much of a problem finding rooms.

Driving from Boston to NYC is pretty quick since Connecticut and Rhode Island are small. You can stop by Providence and take a pic with the Mr. Potatohead in front of Hasbro's headquarters.

From NYC to DC's about four to five hours, if I recall correctly. I did that drive last year. Passed through Philly on the way for some cheesesteaks and then Baltimore. You can also consider taking part of the trip on the New Jersey Turnpike too.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  13. FreshDebesh

Not to go too offtopic but do you miss the 880 :D 

14. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Hell fricken no! But the 95 isn't much better. Hell all of DC's highways suck nards. At least the Bay Area has lots of highway options. Here? Not so much.

15. FreshDebesh

I used to use the 95 when I lived in Miami. Usually to get to downtown Miami, South Beach and Ft Laudy Daudy.

16. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I have to take the 95 down to Charleston, SC in the first week of May and I'm already getting road rage.

17. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Where exactly do you guys plan on going? I'm only asking because I have made the Norfolk, Virginia to Boston Run here pretty regularly. If you have a chance I suggest that you take HWY 13 and hit Chincoteague for the annual pony penning day last Thurs of every July. Also one of the top ten bridges on the planet is right in the backyard: Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Sucker is so long it has its own police department :lol  Don't forget to check out the Leonard Zakim in Boston and of course the Brooklyn Bridge in NY. Have Fun !

18. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Visit Sesame Street Place In Philly. They have a decent Waterpark there, but I took my kids so "decent" is a relevant term.

19. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    This.

Generally outside of the large cities and major events, you should never have any problems stopping and getting a room.

There's also a number of cheapo chains as well, Red Roof Inn, Motel 6, etc. which with a coupon can be rather cheap, especially if all you're doing is spending the night.

20. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

Right, because everyone who doesn't come from New York is a backwoods inbreed hillbilly.