US Navy Transformer

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Altitron, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    Hey guys! For those of you who don't know me already, my name is Brett Wolff, and I serve in the United States Navy. I have been doing so for 8 years now, and was most recently a member of the decommissioning crew onboard the fast attack submarine, USS Hyman G. Rickover (SSN 709).

I am now stationed in Japan, working for Commander, Submarine Group Seven, in Yokosuka. Normally, my position in the nation's silent service does not afford me very many luxuries, but today I stumbled upon one that I can't wait to share with you all!

Reading our current issue of the Navy Times newspaper last night during my shift, I happened upon a rather delightful story:

'"A Transformed role - Sailors share the screen with giant robots"

The U.S. military has declared war on giant, shape-shifting alien robots. Amid blinding platinum dunes baking in the 105-degree sun, scores of elite servicemen and women cluster in and around real tanks, rocket launchers and personnel carriers as they unleash a machine-gun barrage at an invisible (and entirely fictional) enemy: Transformers.

Real-life sailors from the aircraft carrier John C. Stennis and the submarine Topeka not only got to witness the shooting, many also will be used as extras in the movie, "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen", which opens June 26.

A Transformers fan site - Seibertron.com - The Ultimate Transformers Resource - got a first-hand account from one Stennis sailor.

"They arrived in costume (at least Tyrese and Josh did) and began working almost immediately. From what I saw, all of the filming with the cast was done in 'closed' sets. The rest of the filming on the flight deck seemed to be flight operations, of which I was there and will hopefully make the final cut", according to the post.

"We were told to just act natural and continue our jobs as normal, which is easy to do when you've actually got work to do. I did, however, try really hard to get into one shot, in which I just walked back and forth for about 20 minutes".

The Pentagon gave its official stamp of approval to the Michael Bay-directed film, not only allowing production amid the pristine dunes of the Army's New Mexico missile range, but also letting film-makers follow jets and fighter planes through the sky from nearby Holloman Air Force Base.

The Defense Department has long seen benefits in joining forces with Hollywood, though its participation depends on script approval: The Pentagon demands some measure of realism in how the military behaves - despite the giant robots.'

Now, this may not be new news to anyone, as we all know (or at least those of us in the military do) that the Stennis was used in the last movie in dumping the bodies of the Decepticons into the abyss. However, the fact that a submarine has come into play is a new development to us all.

I read this story aloud to my watch team this morning, and it just so happens that the Lieutenant I stand watch with, Mr. Wong, served aboard the Topeka, the submarine used in the movie, during its cameo as a set piece in the Transformers sequel. He said the film crew filmed much of the submarine's hull, and that it in fact became a Transformer itself in the movie!

To hear this from him made me even more excited than I already was, because I drew the image posted below back in June of last year!

[​IMG]

Did someone involved in the production of the film see my design? If the submarine Transformer my LT has told me about becomes none other than Shockwave, I'm going to /have/ to believe that somebody noticed my artwork. How cool would that be??? :>

As a comical side note, the Topeka now has a reputation of being the movie star of the submarine force. You can see her in action in season 5 of the TV show '24', standing in as a Russian submarine. Look closely and you can see USS Topeka placards in some scenes. :>

- Alty

2. cornpone

cornpone Lobot&me

Very cool. I gotta say that if your design is used, take some leave and stand outside the production offices with your hand out. Again, quite cool!

3. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Seaspray?

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Your design reminds me of Hearts of Steel Shockwave. And I think that's totally BAD ASS. Much better than that Apache drone thing from the game.

5. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    a cross between seaspray and shockwave

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shockwave - awesome!

7. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

That's pretty awesome. I hope you're right and the naval submarine bot resembles yours.

8. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Sounds like you had a time when Bay and co. came to film. And, Woah, that is a fantastic piece of artwork man! I hope someone from Production noticed it.

9. Roook

Roook Well-Known Member

Wow that Shockwave Submarine is awesome.

We can only hope that they ripped you off and put that in the movie.

No offense. :p 

10. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This would be epic. Hope it is a giant submarine-former...and if it's shockwave, even better.

11. lightdestroyed

lightdestroyed Stronger than all!

This is rad. But Bay and co. wouldn't dare use something that they didn't come up with themselves and that they can't take all the credit for.

12. Kortex

Kortex Well-Known Member

So what U mean is that Shockwave will be in TF2 and have a submarine alt mode??!!! Thats awesome but yet to be proven.. Wait for the toy at least...

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Considering how much of this planet is covered in water it's always been a bit odd that we haven't had more Transformers in the oceans and seas of the world. Should be visually cool to bring some of the movie's action to the water, that way it would be a war on the land, in the skys, and in the oceans for the second film.

14. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    Nooo... what I mean is that a US submarine was used in the filming of Transformers 2, and by word of my fellow naval officer who was onboard the ship during the time the film crew was working, becomes a Transformer itself.

I didn't say that it was definitely going to be Shockwave - that's just wishful thinking on my part because of the fan art I drew about 8 months ago.

Front page, eh?!!? XD

- Alty

15. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    If the sub was actually a transformer, Hasbro might probably call the character Boomer.

*edit*
    I do realise the Topeka is a Los Angeles class SSN, while 'boomers' refer to ballistic missile subs (SSBN's).
    But in this context, the general public aren't likely to differentiate one from the other.

16. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That Shockwave sub you drew looks awesome! I hope what appears in the movie looks at least half as good as that!

17. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    That would be so wickedly cool if he is a submarine in the movie.But highly disappointed
    at the eventual figure release as I know Hasbro will not make him a Voyager size or
    bigger,they will probably make him a deluxe,or even worse a basic.So if you see this
    Hasbro please make him a Voyager size,as I really want him the size of Ironhide or
    Ratchet.

18. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Thats a really cool story.

To OP if you find that they did use your design I would actually get pissed because that means someone too lazy to do their design homework cheated off of you and they are probably getting Paid alot for it too.

Then again it is pretty neat if they give you the design nod and some formal recognition.

Anything is possible :) 

19. imwthstpd

imwthstpd that crazy fanboy

News Credits:
    Sea-wave:thumbs2: 
    or
    Shock-spray:thumbdown 

20. funstorm

funstorm Doer of nothing

shockwave would be a kick ass submarine. so weird i was thinking how there should be a submarine transformer in the next movie and then this happens coool.