US Military Stealing Foreign PS3/XBox 360 User Information

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by hellrasinbrasin, Mar 28, 2012.

1. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

The US Military Wants to Hack Foreign Game Consoles, Steal User’s Information

The Department of the Navy is looking very closely at used video game consoles. Only, they don't want to play them. They want to crack them open and steal all the information on overseas users they can get their hands on. To that end, the Department has contracted a company called Obscure Technologies to go overseas, buy a mountain of pre-owned video game consoles and obtain as much "significant and sensitive information from previous users" as it's possible to get.

Why overseas? Because of the nature of the work, they're not allowed to target any "US persons". Obscure will be given just under USD$200,000 to undertake the work, mostly aimed at developing tools for getting the data and determining just how feasible such a process is. Attempts will then be made to gather the information both from the storage of the console itself, as well as "analyzing network traffic".

The company was awarded the contract because "its lead scientist [has] previously reverse engineered the Microsoft XBOX". To recap, in case you haven't really caught the gist of this yet, if you live outside the USA and have ever traded in a current-gen video game console, you're now at risk - a remote risk, but a risk nonetheless - of having your "significant and sensitive information" obtained by the US military.

Perhaps most interesting/terrifying is that, at the conclusion of the research, some of the software developed for extracting this data will be released as open source and made "freely available".

Source: The US Military Wants to Hack Foreign Game Consoles, Steal User's Information

2. thecollector

thecollector Fluffernutter Admirer

I'm wondering what the point of finding out how feasible getting sensitive information from a gaming console is...

3. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

All this is going to do is get people to stop trading in their systems and stop playing games online. You can't monitor what gamers are saying to each other if they're not online...

4. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

No, it's really not. People aren't going to regress 15+ years of progress because of a silly initiative the Navy, of all branches, is doing.

And playing offline wouldn't change anything, it's not like you can recover all the things I said over my headset just by opening up my system.

5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    This sounds like a waste of money and time. Are the Navy R&D section really that fucking bored? Those railguns aren't going to build themselves guys, pack this shit in and get back to designing superweapons or something.

6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure other countries won't allow the US to do this. Prepare to be sued.

7. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    Becasuse video game consoles are so important to militaries.... I can see it now.... "(Insert name here) uses Call of duty to train troops!"

8. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    Don't you get it? Now we'll be able to track down the terrorists using Call of Duty to train their troops!

9. thecollector

thecollector Fluffernutter Admirer

Gotta learn how to 1337 360 no scope from the pros.

10. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    If they really want to know my Mass Effect 3 Galactic Readiness level, they could just ask...

11. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Very likely, they've somehow linked gamer handles to certain mid-to-high level targets and are hoping that they can invest a few hundred thousand dollars, maybe get lucky and catch one of their traded in consoles, and mine it for financial info, like cards used, other friends (possible IRL associates of similar mindsets). And realistically, $200,000 is pretty dang cheap for intel...

I doubt they'll release the tools used to crack the OS or access live data, probably just the data-mining part of it, which is harmless by itself.

And people give the Navy flack for not being on the front lines, but the Intel divisions are fairly top-notch, compared to other USAF intelligence divisions.