US Masters line, a thought what do you think?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by LEADERS_MATRIX, Jun 19, 2010.

1. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

Powermasters, Headmasters, Targetmasters, I never put alot of thought into them, and I never noticed how few there are, and some how there are always more cons then bots (9-8, for some reason) and to me the Powermasters where the best, and had fewer bots to there subline.
    So lets give these bots some love or hate.

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I never cared for them. Even then I didn't like that transforming alone wasn't a good enough gimmick.

Give me '86 Kup and Cyclonus over the '87 versions any day.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  3. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I always loved the Headmasters, myself. I once had Skullcruncher, and I may have the body to Mindwipe around (might have sold it in a junker lot - he was in kinda rough shape), and I had a friend when I was younger who had Weirdwolf. Loved em. I'd really like to grab some of the Autobot Headmasters, but can't really afford em. :( 

I also have Horri-Bull for the "small headmasters", and he's quite cool -but despite having all the parts, some of them are just broken enough to be junker status. He's pretty cool, though.

Targetmasters were neat too. I had Pointblank and Quickmix, but they ended up traded or sold (lost Pointblank's TM gun and Quickmix was in questionable shape... not bad, but he had an arm with a screw that wouldn't tighten anymore).

Only Powermaster I ever had was Optimus Prime (I still have that one, but he's yellowing, has some broken pegs, and who knows where Hi-Q is), but the same friend I mentioned had Getaway and Joyride, and they were some pretty awesome G1 toys.

Headmasters are still my favorites, though.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I love them , although the heads/ guns/ engines getting lost makes figures complete with those considerably more expensive than figures of similar size that were not of that line.

5. firehawc_69

News Credits:
    And to clarify: Although I didn't care for the gimmick, I'm still a sucker for Fort Max and Scorpy.

6. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

I dig the engine gimmic, the Powermasters where and are my fav, the headmasters are cool too, the smaller one heads are funcky and the small targetmasters are weak too, but they are and where a neat idea.

7. firehawc_69

News Credits:
    The only one of those I have is Overlord.

8. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

My Snapdragon is not only one of my favorite TFs, but I think he's one of the coolest ever made. I have a few of the TMs, and they're cool enough. IMO, the 2 HM Horrorcons - Snapdragon + Apeface are THE coolest HMs that were made. I know alot of people love Fort Max and Scorponok, among others, but for me its the Horrorcon HMs. Snapdragon first, then Apeface right behind. 100% win.

9. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I was ten when these "masters" came out and hated them. The toys felt cheap and the transformations were lame. Transforming is the only gimmick TFs need.

10. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Sorry you have never liked the gimmick. I have ALWAYS loved the idea of a partner transformer. I like to think the partner helps enhance the other transformer's strength and intelligence.

As for recent TFs, I was thrilled when Armada Overload was released. He might seem like a brick, but he has amazing play value. Plus he looks very imposing on a shelf. I was also tickled when I first saw Universe Cyclonus. There haven't been too many Targetmasters since the late 80s. The best we have seen are a few mini-cons (which I also love).

The recent 3rd party endeavors of HeadRobots have been great as well. I love the Cobra mold and am eagerly awaiting Hothead.

I personally think the "Masters" have been ignored and overlooked for too long. They are such fun figures for kids. How could you not like the idea of buying a toy and getting 2 robots that can interact together?

11. firehawc_69

News Credits:
    Even the Universe release of Cyclonus...I could have totally done without Nightstick.

12. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Headmasters and Targetmasters are the *best.* Not really a fan of Powermasters though.

Still hoping we'll get a functioning Headmaster in Generations.

13. Tirade

I'd argue the inclusion of a targetmaster gives the buyer more bang for his buck. You are not just getting another gun. You are getting another transformable robot.

14. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have still never owned a headmaster, unless you count the Headmaster Jrs.

Only Powermasters I had were Prime, Darkwind, and Dreadwing. Liked them all.

As a kid I had Crosshairs and Slugslinger, loved them as well.

That said, I really like the Targetmaster Gimmick, and as such have both an original TM Kup, a reissue TM Kup, Reissue TM Hotrod, Reissue Stepper, and both classics and henkei Cyclonus.

Yeah, I would say of the three Targetmasters are my fav, by a wide margin.

15. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I think we get it.

In my case, I love em all!

16. Tirade

You probably aren't alone in that opinion. Take away the headmaster, and you are lefty with a headless body. Not much fun for the kids. On the flipside, the Powermasters are rather superfluous. They look somewhat cool as engines, but are not necessary in order to enjoy TFs like Slapdash and Getaway. Like Headmasters, they are not much on their own. You certainly can't stick them onto a non-Powermaster TF. Unlike the previous two, Targetmasters add play value to their partner. Most TFs look so much better with a weapon. They can be used in a pinch as weapons for non-Targetmaster TFs (if the hand hole can accommodate the TM). Targetmasters are higher on the "cool scale."

EDIT: You could have the HMs and PMs act as drivers or pilots for other TFs. That's about the only role outside of their normal gimmick.

17. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Love them. Trying to complete the run of Headmasters but the Autobot ones are so damn pricey (got a full run of 'con ones) :( 

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Never liked Headmasters, once you lose the head...The toy is friggin useless.

It's what keeps headmaster's expensive.

TargetMasters i actually kinda like.....PCC Combiners I'm really digging the looks.

19. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I love all the Masters. Brain, Head, Power, Breast, Target, Micro - all of them. They had some pretty cool ideas and I can appreciate how much they accomplished with what they had to work with now, looking back.

20. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I loved the *masters... I loved the idea of little partners. Armada doing that got me back into Transformers, actually...