urgent! is the macross vf-0s plastic or metal?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by ckhtiger, Mar 21, 2007.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I'm about to buy one, I think, but the auction ends soon. I don't think I could justify spending that much, however, if it's an entirely plastic toy, with no metal on the arms, legs, torso, etc. so, any metal, or is it all plastic?

2. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Pretty much all plastic, only a few small die-cast parts I think.

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

thanks, anyone else want to confirm/comment?

4. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Any 1/48 scale Valk or the YF-19 is totally worth it regardless.

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah, but what about the vf-0s? don't go trying to convince me to get those 1/48's, you pusher :p 

6. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Plastic. The VF-0S has a host of problems as well with fragility. If you're concerned about being disappointed, don't get it, because you probably will be.

7. Golgo-013

Golgo-013 The Professional

All 1/48 Yamatos and the 1/60 VF-0S/VF-0 are plastic.
    The only metal is a tiny cross bar connecting the legs. For the most part they are all plastic.

If this is your first Valk I would not buy the VF-0S. The jet mode is one of the best, but the quality and parts fit on this one is by far the worst of all the big Yamatos. All the joints, arms, legs are very loose. In fact mine is a floppy mess, can barely hold a gun pod.

I would get the original 1/48 VF-1S SKULL-1. Much better Valk, then get the VF-0S later. They are basically the same size.

BTW, if it was metal it would cost $400 and would be the coolest thing out.

8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I'd rather get the YF-19 because it's huge, it has the best transformation, it looks good and the poseability is great.

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

a long time ago, I got the yf-19 and yf-21, I guess they're 1/72 scale but can't remember who they're made by. I like them a bunch and love love LOVE the design of the vf-0s. I really don't have the money to be buying expensive valks, but because I like the zero so much, if it was diecast I would be ok with the $160 shipped. but plastic? nope. I actually had thought the 1/48s were metal too. now I'm not looking at any of them. just out of curiosity, are the recently released yf-19s plastic also?

10. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    It's plastic.

And that's a good thing. See, for the size they are, metal would be heavier and overload the thin joints they're trying to use.

11. polymorphic

polymorphic Bumblebee tuna!

I got a 1/60 VF-1S and think it's one of the best looking, nicest toys I've ever purchased. The large parts of the legs are metal and very heavy, providing most of the weight for the toy. Mostly plastic for the rest of the body, although very high quality plastic. Very detailed and solid construction, although the legs are loose at the hip and require removal from the torso to transform. Never seen the VF-0's in person, but if they're anything like the 1S, I'd highly recommend it.

12. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I wouldn't by the VF-0S, it's kind of the lepper of the Yamato valk world, a whole bunch of QC problems. If you're going for a VF-0, go for the VF-0A. It's MUCH better in terms of quality. Also can't go wrong with a 1/48 VF-1, they're all pretty rock solid as well. But yeah, I'd stay away from the VF-0S.

13. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

it's always been about the roy/skull leader color scheme and head design for me. that's all I'd ever consider. thanks guys, I've decided against it. *ends urgency*

14. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I have the 0A, and aside from the stupid lousy fragile shoulders, it's a great figure! I've heard, however, that the 0S had many more problems.

If you want a VF-0, I'd wait a litle bit and pick up Shin's 0A w/ Ghost booster, or just wait till the inevitable re-issue of the 0S. Shin's is supposedly fixed.

15. CdnShockwave

You could always go with the 1/48 VF-1S Roy. I've got two of them, awsome toys.

16. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    You really ARE stuck in the 80's huh? :lol 

Seriously man, with that attitude you are going to miss out on some of the best toys/figures ever created by man. The plastic IS a good thing. If you accidentally drop it, it wont break beyond repair.

17. CdnShockwave

Not that I'd ever recommend finding out.

18. GogDog

News Credits:
    Yeah , I should have said "definitely break." At least with the plastic you have a chance.

19. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah, it's kinda bad :p 

I guess it's more of an economical/cheapskate kind of thing. I realize that metal's not that much more expensive than plastic, but it's the same reasoning why, until they pretty much gave up, I never bought alternators, only binaltechs. there's something in my mind that just equates the heft/feel of metal with quality.

20. GogDog

News Credits:
    yeah, I feel you. If I could afford the Binaltechs, I'd get them. I don't want a "half- complete" collection, though I may go after them one day after I finish my Takara TFC collection. But that is no excuse for passing up a 1/48 Valk. :lol