Upscaling DVD Player... Worth it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jourdo, Dec 11, 2007.

1. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I just entered the world of HD over the weekend. In fact the TV finally got set up last night. I have not had a chance to throw in any DVD's, although with the standard DVD player, I'm not expecting much.

My main question is, do the upscaling players make a huge difference? You still are taking the information from a DVD, so there is only so much you can do with it.

Are the cheapy Walmart players any good?

2. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I recently picked up the cheap Philips Upconverting DVD player from Walmart and I can definitely say the picture looks more crisp and clear on my dvds. I'm running a Sony with 720p, and the player has options for resolution. Pick up an HDMI cable to go with it, and its great. Definitely worth it. I mean, you obviously wont get BluRay or HD-DVD quality, but definitely, you'll get the most out of the standard definition DVD.

3. Mega-con

Mega-con Autocon

Ebay:
    Only the Pioneer Elite 48AV or Denon 1740. The rest are meh.

But, yeah, any upconvert is better than a standard player.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Get an HDMI cable (you'll probably need it) - but DON'T pay the insane prices they want for one at retail.

Get one online for $10 or less.

5. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

You can get an HDMI cable for 5 bucks off of monoprice.com.

As far as getting an upconverter, I, who has been debating this myself, don't think it's worth it. Yeah, you get a little better picture, but you might as well wait until the Format Wars end and then get the winner's player. That's what I plan on doing.

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    We picked up the one from Walmart and my regular TF DVD looked awesome, there is some more detail than before.

7. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    A good player should make quite a difference. Especially on newer DVDs, a lot of them show "mastered in HD" or something similar on the packaging.

8. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I was smart on that one and ordered some cables online late last week. $35 shipped for a couple cable and an adapter. Although it was funny when the young man who was helping me at Best Buy was leading me right to the cables after picking up the TV and HD Cable Box.

This was the way I was leaning to be honest. But if the upconversion makes a difference, I might as well enjoy the standard DVD as much as possible. I have no idea how long it will take for the format war to be decided.

Next question is: 1080p or 1080i? I noticed Walmart had one that could do 1080i, where as Bestbuy has one that can do 1080p for a little more money. My HD cable box only does 1080i, and that looks incredible to what I am used to. With the upconversion, will I notice a difference?

9. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Does your TV do 1080p? I wouldn't imagine it would make much of a difference if we are talking low-end upscaling dvd players.

10. MegaPrime33

From what I gather the 1080p will only work on a TV that has that capability. Right now, there aren't too many things with that resolution, but there will be. I definitely say go for the 1080p so you dont have to upgrade again later.

11. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yes it does.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I upscale my movies on the PS3 and while some look just ok, shit like Star Wars look amazing. I know this because my HDMI cable went out, so I had to go back to Component (which won't support upscaling), and I noticed the difference immediately.

13. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I paid $100 for my upconvert dvd player from Target and have an HD tv that does 1080p. Aside from the inconvenience of having to flip a switch to go from HD cable to dvd (my tv only has one HDMI jack), it's about as perfect as a non-HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player can be. Small price to pay to get most of the HD benefits without having to wait for a winner of the HD format war.

14. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I have an Onkyo Upscanning DVD player. Its about 130 @ Circuit City and it made a huge differance.

15. MegaPrime33

Onkyo is a really good brand too. Particularly for speakers and receivers.

16. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I recently bought a PS3 along with an HDMI cable to use on my Plasma HDTV.

I popped in regular DVDs and honestly wasn't impressed with the PS3's upconverting.

Maybe upconverting DVD players will offer a better picture.

But I'd say save up and just buy an HD DVD/BluRay player instead.

I bought Ratatouille on BluRay the other day and was FLOORED when I watched it.

17. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I was way more impressed with the trailer for Cars than I was with Ratatouille, but Cars is a much brighter movie, so it just looks prettier.

But you are right, if you're considering $100+ for an upscaling player, it'd be a much better idea just to get a cheap HD-DVD player, or even Blu-Ray player. You can get HD-DVD players for under $200, and now Blu-Ray for $300. Then you can view one of the HD formats AND upscale your old DVDs.

18. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I've got two questions:

1. I've got a 10 year old sony trinitron tv. would it make any difference at all if I used an upscaling dvd player on a tv like that?

2. in relatively plain english, how do upscaling dvd players work, and why wouldn't they just have had the capability from the beginning?

19. Parsox

Parsox Lieutenant

Look up the oppo brand 971 or higher

they all get good reviews for upconverting

invest a c note then wait for the hd-blue ray wars to end

parsox

20. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I got a Samsung upconvert that came free with my high-def TV and it definitely looks better then regular though not by a massive amount. I don't know about the cheap ones though, I doubt you will get much mileage out of one. At the same time unless you have or plan on getting 360 or a PS3 I would be inclined just to wait until theres more of a clear winner on the HD-DVD VS Blu Ray front. That and wait for them to come down in price as there's no way you'll find a decent HD player for under $200 in Canada.

You would be wise to take this under advisement, Future Shop and Best Buy will want an obscene amount of money for one.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007