UPS Trashed my collection...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Polenicus, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Bleh, still haven't been able to unpack, due to the new job and the lack of places to put the guys. Once I get my shelves I'll be able to get them out. But, for those of you curious, here are the boxes are they arrived on my doorstep.

First off, a box from the first set of 3 boxes, which arrived in good condition and in a timely manner:

[​IMG]

As you can see, it's in good shape, not crushed, and I suspect the contents will be intact, like the other boxes that came with it. Now, on to the trashed boxes:

[​IMG]
    First Box

[​IMG]
    Second box (And the most heavily damaged) BOTTOM SIDE DAMAGE

[​IMG]
    Third box, sidewall damage

[​IMG]
    Fourth box, BOTTOM DAMAGE

These were the same boxes, rom the same source. Except for the first box, which was brand new, purchased from Home Depot and was a brand new piece of cardboard. These boxes were initially not delivered, with the driver insisting we were on vacation (This on the same day the other boxes arrived), and finally dumped on my porch. Nothing has been changed on these boxes, this is exactly the condition they arrived at my home in.

2. Ramulus

Ramulus Rhinox is my anti-drug TFW2005 Supporter

That right sucks, that does. Sorry man, I feel your pain. If you can provide a final list of all the damaged bots, I for one can dig into my collection of dupes and maybe get you back a bot or two. :) 

3. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear about that. Yeah UPS screwed over out dealership pretty bad when the box containing a trucks instrument cluster was crushed and lost. Kinda hard to replace something as important as the odometer with the actual miles. :mad 

4. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    From the rips in the boxes, I can't see any packaging. Did you wrap them individually or did you just lay them, unwrapped, on top of each other to prevent shifting?

I am not trying to defend UPS, it just looks like the boxes are crammed with figures.

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    what do you mean, that's all you can see is shredded paper packing.

6. Polenicus

Ebay:
    Some of the bots, like Primus and the Alts, were individually wrapped. Others (Less valuable and precious) were simply packed in, organized to minimize shifting, with smaller bots filing the spaces between bigger ones. The entire outside of the box was lined with crumpled newspaper packing, top, bottom and sides to cushion any impacts. In the cases of these tears, that's either fallen or been ripped out. I also packed in 'layer's, with paper cushioning in-between a layer of bots.

Not the ideal way to do it, I know, but the best I could manage with the materials on-hand.

7. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

Lawsuit!!!

8. Rodimus Rage

Rodimus Rage Autobot Leader

that.. that just sucks... dammit...

9. avc-prime

avc-prime Well-Known Member

did you insured it? Man you need to get a refund. This is what sucks with ups,and usps they don't respect the shipments.

10. vector

vector City Commander

Ebay:
    Dude, That's BONED!!! Sorry for your loss. If it helps I have a spare set of long stacks for Masterpiece Prime if you want them.

11. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Once you get a list of what's too trashed to salvage together, pass me a copy by PM. I'll see what I can do to help rebuild from your loss.

12. Polenicus

Ebay:
    Wow... thank you everyone who's offered to help!

I'm hoping to start surveying the damage by next week, when I get a day or two off.

13. Dark_Rage

Dark_Rage Jaded Member

Hey man, sorry to hear for your loss, I hate it when packages are treated like dirt. I find Canada Post a lot more gentle than most couriers.

Welcome to Toronto, sorry you had to start off your stay like this :( 

14. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Sorry to burst your bubble, but UPS is actually probably the best shipping company out there. What do you think Fedex is like? They're paid less, and care even less about your package. Especially Fedex Ground, they're simply contractors who get paid according to how many packages they move. Therefore, speed is the priority.
    And I am sorry for what happened to your toys. But to extrapolate from this that UPS goes out of it's way to destroy boxes they're paid to deliver is ludicrous. I've had exactly 3 things shipped via Fedex, and had trouble with two of them (one of them disappeared). Everything else goes UPS. Only once did I have trouble, and that was because the guy I was shipping to in Canada was apparently unaware that he would have some customs fees to pay.
    Again, I'm sorry that toys were damaged. UPS pays up to $100 insurance automatically (if your claim is accepted) but I'm sure that's a drop in the bucket for the collection in question. I hope you can get something worked out where UPS will pay for at least part of the damage. Good luck.

15. MagnusPrimal

Save the boxes and packing materials as well. Everything helps.

16. MagnusPrimal

Seriously, I've sent 3 huge boxes filled with toys to BBTS using UPS, and not had a bit of trouble. My account was credited the exact amount quoted, so I'm assuming the packages got there in acceptable conditon. And every package I've gotten so far via UPS has been just fine. Although some drivers do have a tendency to just leave the package right in the open. That drives me crazy, especially since I have a large, and mostly-enclosed rear deck.
    USPS lost a very important financial aid letter for me in college (express mail, even!) so I avoid them whenever possible.

17. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    UPS blow in my city, I dont think we have ever got a box from them that hasent been damaged. Most of the shipping companys use a belt system for transporting packages and I have been told they have atleast a 6ft drop down to the next one and this is standard in most large citys

18. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    it really sucks they got broken, but the packing job from what I can see is very poor.

When you pack up your package, you have to understand that your package is not only going to be dropped and thrown around, it's most likely going to be under 1 to 2 dozen other packages that could weigh up to several hundreds pounds (which will also be dropped and thrown around)

A poor packaged box of toys stands no chance of survival on the bottem of a UPS or any shipping truck. Styrofoam and bubblewrap is the way to go, because they both disperse energy, paper doesn't.

Marking them fragile on all sides in very visible writing or stickers, and getting them insured helps too

19. MC Rap Throne

MC Rap Throne unknown member

News Credits:
    man that's f*cked up, I feel sorry for you :(  I had 200 boxed TFs shipped in a huge box when I moved from Japan to Brazil and all I got was some beaten TF boxes, nothing broken...

20. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    UPS packages all are covered for $100 automatically. It's built into the cost of shipping. Just say the damaged goods were in different boxes and try to spread them in such a manner that you can recover all your money. Good luck.