Upon rewatching it. . .

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Mako Crab, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was watching Hellraiser 1 and 2 with my roommate last night. *sigh* When did these movies suck so bad?! Like, I always held the first 2 Hellraiser movies in high regard. They set the bar that other horror movies had to aspire to. They weren't corny or campy like Jason, Pinhead wasn't cracking lame puns and jokes every 5 seconds like Freddy. These guys were serious, super dark, evil, nasty, serious horror movies! And in my old age, I think the super serious, grimdark tone of these movies has become its fatal flaw. I like the camp! I like some cheesy corniness! I like to have fun and be entertained while I'm watching a horror movie (any movie for that matter). Hellraiser's problem is that it takes itself TOO seriously and it never lets up.

And the gore. OMG the gore. When I was younger and hadn't seen many horror movies, I was okay with the amount of gore in these movies. But now. . . ugh. Gore isn't scary. It's just gross and it's raining buckets of it in these 2 movies. I know this sounds like an oxymoron, but I prefer horror movies with less gore. I actually found myself checking the time while watching H2, hoping that it would hurry up and end. Every cool moment that I remembered somehow wasn't cool this time out. Most everything just fell flat like a row of dominoes. I can tell you right now, I'd rather watch any installment of Friday the 13th or Evil Dead over this. It's just weird. Of all the movies I've changed or will change my mind about, I never thought Hellraiser 1 and 2 would be among them. They ranked so high in my book for so long! And don't even bother with anything beyond part 2. All the rest pretty well suck.

Well, there's my rant. I feel better now :) 

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, grimdark is overrated, no matter if the genre is horror, sci-fi, anime or robot cartoons.

3. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    We have such sites to show you.

Hellraiser is a remake i would pay to see.

4. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're in luck then, because a remake is on the way. Without Doug Bradley as Pinhead, however. Last I heard, the studio was cutting the budget and sending it straight to dvd. Bradley trashed the script after he got a chance to read it, and that's coming from the guy that did Hellworld. Make of that what you will.