Upon a 2nd viewing. . .

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Mako Crab, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got back from seeing it a 2nd time. The 2nd viewing really helped my opinion of the movie. Most all of my personal qualms with the flick are now resolved. The quick list:

Prime's plan:
    Originally I had thought that he said, "He had to make them think we had gone, so the humans could see that the Decepticons will never leave." It sounded like he was sitting back in his recliner, chomping on energon goodies while Chicago was getting murdalized and only stepped in after his point had been proven. That totally struck me as a dick move to make.

Upon a 2nd viewing. . .

Prime says, "Now the humans see that no matter what, the Decepticons will never leave."
    Nowhere does he say that it was part of his plan to let humans get murdered or the planet get invaded.
    Then he says, "We had to make them (the Decepticons, not the humans) believe we had left." Before, I heard it as him saying he wanted the humans to think they had gone, in order to really let the weight of being helpless sink in. But this time I got that he meant he was trying to fool the 'cons. So it's much better in my eyes now. The dialogue can be misleading, especially if you only hear it once, so a 2nd viewing was a huge relief and improvement.

Prime executing Megatron:
    First time I saw it, I thought Megatron said, "I just wanted to be in charge." Past tense. I thought Megatron came across as burnt out and tired of fighting and having seen Cybertron destroyed, only wanted to end the war. Then Prime kills him out of the blue in the most violent manner possible. Not very becoming of a heroic character.

Upon the 2nd viewing. . .

Megatron says, "I just want to be in charge." Present tense. He's calling for a truce where he's still in charge and calling the shots. Not much of a truce and would undoubtedly require Optimus to throw away all his beliefs about freedom and the sanctity of life if he chose to serve under Megatron's new regime. Then, of course, Megatron goads him on with, "Besides, who would you be without me?" He's practically asking for Prime to attack him (which would be awesome on a psychological level- like a suicide by Autobot kind of deal?). I still think that scene could've been handled better, but I get what they were going for now.

Prime executing Sentinel:
    After Sentinel sliced off Op's arm, Op was grabbing onto SP with his one good arm and pleading with him to stop and see reason. Sentinel kicks him away and stabs him again, raking him across the bridge in the process. Sentinel showed absolutely no mercy or remorse towards OP. So when Optimus gains the upper hand again, there's no mercy to be given to Sentinel anymore. He pissed away every chance he had to redeem himself and killed (and tried to kill) those who respected him most.

Also, the pacing of the movie seemed much faster this time. The 1st time around it seemed to drag in some spots, but it was pretty good this time. Probably just because I knew where it was all going this time. The movie felt a lot tighter plot-wise too. It really, really improved on my 2nd viewing.

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I've only saw DOTM once, and when Optimus said that they had to make it look like they were dead and gone, I knew that he meant the Decepticons and not the humans.

Anyways, glad to hear that the second viewing improved your opinion of DOTM.

3. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    exact opposite for me. The 2nd viewing was a chore...and the things I disliked were even more obvious

4. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    i liked it a bit more after seeing it a second time. the deceptcions dont seem to die as easily as i thought in the first viewing, shockwave was a bitch to take down! Starscream wasnt as whiny as i first thought and his reaction was fitting to the character, first time round i thought he was being made into a joke (still dont get the spitting tho) soundwave put up more of a fight then thought first time round and megs done some serious damage to sentinel and coulda killed him if he didnt ask for a truce instead, megs didnt have time to react thats why he died so easily imo. And when megs said he wanted to be in charge again i think he meant of the decepticons (because sentinel was issuing commands to the decepticons) and not in charge of everything as was suggested in the first post.

Overall i think this film could benefit hugely from an extended edition with some deleted scenes put back in and some extra scenes to help fill plot and continuity errors, but i enjoyed it nontheless

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I'm surprised that anyone interpreted the scene in this fashion.

6. ZooCrazie

ZooCrazie Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    what about sentinal's mercey towards optimus when he first learned of the betrayal? The scene at lincolns memorial when all the decepticons came to earth and sentinal had prime pinned againest the wall? he could have finished him there! but he showed his mercey? so why not prime show him a little at the end?? after all sentinal was just trying to make sure his people survive? the weak always fall prey to the strong!

7. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^This! He was given one chance already. Sentinel was in the right to show no mercy the second time in a weird kinda way. A truce would have been a stronger ending as would Megatron mentioning command in a past tense. He really did come off as tired of the war in my eyes.

8. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    this. i hope on the dvd it actually has that ending like what "i am legend" had. i am legend had an alt ending, so why not dotm?

9. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I know people say that due to the cost of CGI, nothing "extra" was produced - but I imagine they could sell more DVDs if they produced extras (they've got months, it could work) such as this.

10. thien425

thien425 Well-Known Member

Spill.com did lol

11. Cyberwolf1980

News Credits:
    Agreed, I know they never will, especially with the first release of dvd/blu-ray, but too see Skids and Mudflap get axed and an alternate ending with at least a noble ending, as opposed to the massacre we got :D 

12. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

He was beat down and injured, avoiding direct confrontation until he was healed....

I'd hardly say that he was tired of the war...the entire plot of getting the autobots to re-awaken sentinal was his idea, and he also managed to manipulate Sentinal way back in the day.

DotM really established Megatron as a military genius, as opposed to the uncontrolled monster that he appeared to be in the 2007 film. I mean, he obviously won the war on Cybertron - the Autobot's leader was prepared to cooperate, and the Autobots were reduced to a last ditch effort of destroying their own homeworld rather than let Megatron gain total power.

Such a shame that RotF painted him as a puppy at the hells of The Fallen. Why did Megatron even NEED to be a Prime? The only thing I can think of that would make sense is that Megatron wanted to be a Prime so he could kill The Fallen....which doesn't make sense either, because I can't see any logic to The Fallen's statement that only a Prime could kill him. Megatron killed a Prime....nearly killed 2 of them actually.

13. Cyberwolf1980

News Credits:
    I agree in terms of seeing him as a military genius, but it was his body language, especially towards the end that helped paint him as a war torn leader, just wanting it all the end so they could move on.

As for the Fallen, one interpretation was that he had learned from the Fallen quite a bit with deception. The Fallen came off as a weakened leader, and Megatron would have seen it as survival of the fittest. When the time was right, kill him and take command. And Megatron definately DEFEATED 2 Prime's. Optimus just got the kill on the other.

14. TerrorBlade

TerrorBlade Well-Known Member

I don't really know who Megatron is talking to. He says Prime and there's two of them present and both injured. After thinking about it I think he knew he was going to die either way. I doubt he would want to be a servant for Sentinel.

15. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. I've seen both ROTF and DOTM twice in theaters, and each time it felt much better watching the second time. Didn't feel as long and I caught more stuff going on.

16. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Leader of the Lost

News Credits:
    Totes not in South Bay, CA. Go away, NSA.
    further proof that second/3rd/fourth/ect. viewings always make things better/worse/same.

17. Metallitron

Metallitron Decepticon of Malice

News Credits:
    He was talking to Optimus, Ive seen DOTM 22 times in the theatre, He even points to Optimus, NOT Sentinel.

18. Sideswipe94

Sideswipe94 Autobot

News Credits:
    This. I noticed on my second viewing.

19. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Reborn Comics Fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I noticed it on my first viewing.

20. TerrorBlade

TerrorBlade Well-Known Member

Oh ok cool just making sure because I took off my 3-D glasses to clean it real quick but got to see Prime go ninja mode and kill Megatron.