Customs: Uploading to shapeways

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Master Blaster, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I've been using Google's rather cool sketchup v8 to design my own, more G1-inspired weaponry for my classics autobots. I've gotten pretty good too I dare say, especially considering the free version of sketchup is fairly tool-limited.

My problem? Apparently a scaling issue! I always select product design- mm in sketchup, draw to the final scale I want the piece to be, and export as an .stl file (read A1's post about them being better than .dae files) for uploading.

But both designs I've thus far tried to upload have returned with a scaling issue. Now customer services fixed it first time, but didn't explain at all what he'd done (so I also don't know if he preserved the dimensions I wanted, as I can't reopen the fixed file in sketchup).

I was wondering if anyone experience in sketchup and accutrans/meshlab could provide a short guide/tutorial for correctly scaling a design for uploading? Thanks!

2. RumbleG1

RumbleG1 Active Member

I know it sounds silly, but when you are uploading to Shapeways you are selecting the mm option rather then leaving it the default of inches? (Easy mistake so just thought I would eliminate that possibility right off the mark).

Also are you importing the file into accutrans/meshlab then using whichever program to convert your sketchup model into the .stl? There is a plugin for Sketchup that allows you to export it straight as an .stl which i have been using with no scaling problems.

3. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am indeed.
    hmm I'll give that a go, hopefully that'll fix it. I've been using meshlab to convert to .stl, I only use accutrans to check the model is watertight. I'll get that plugin now and update in a moment, thanks!

4. RumbleG1

RumbleG1 Active Member

Let me know if you have any trouble finding it, and I will see if I can remember where I got it from.

5. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I tried one that offered dxf and stl exports, but shapeways doesn't recognise it. If you can remember where yours is from that'd be awesome :) 

6. RumbleG1

RumbleG1 Active Member

I found mine on the Shapeways fourm, and it also offers dxf and stl export. Might be the same one? It's called skp_to_dxf.rb.

7. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah that's the one I got, no problem there now. I have to ensure that I add .stl to the end of the document name.

.......and it works, hurrah! Ta mate :D  Dunno why it wasn't working when I used meshlab to export it, but works fine through the plugin, so great! Gonna start uploading all my designs so I can open shop, thanks again man!

8. RumbleG1

RumbleG1 Active Member

No problem glad that you got it working and that I could help you out a bit. Be sure to post up a link to your designs, would be interesting to see what you have come up with.

9. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In the sig mate, keep an eye on it as I'll be uploading designs all week!

10. RumbleG1

RumbleG1 Active Member

So it is! Will keep a look out.